Very late Bella update!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Bella is doing absolutly FINE!

I come on TCS time to time, post, lurk, ect, and somehow never got the chance to update you guys on her! Here is the first post I made for her-for those of you who may have no idea who I am talking about!

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...=109307&page=2

Our vet (not anymore) kept telling us that he *thought* that it *could* be nerulogical, and that she would always be crippled, ect, ect...

So a couple months pass-Bella is no longer crippled, gait-wise, though you can feel the place on her spine. Later on, BOTH sides toward her hind legs, started oozing a clear liquid from a couple of mysterious sores. Hmmm, so I put some ointment (for cats) on it for a couple days, not better at all-they were oozing clear liquid with a yellowish tint. Back to the vet.

We had xrays done, found out what had been wrong with her back, her 13th vertibrae (sp?) was broken at some point but has already healed up, and the ooze was from a HUGE pus pocket from one side, over her back, all the way to her other side. So they put some tubes in there to let it all drain out, told me to bring her back in 2 weeks.
I explained to him that I brought her there when she first got hurt and they did take xrays, ect, ect-apparently they hadn't taken the xray up high enough and MISSED her broken back! It make me sick to my stomach evey time I looked at her-they gave her no pain meds or anything, she hit those gross tubes on EVERYTHING!

I had been feeling around her back almost daily-I couldn't feel and pus pocket, no idea how she got that. But my wonderful vet swore up and down that the pus was from a animal bite. I told him that Bella was seperated from ANY animal at all times, exceppt for Cody when I supervised them while they played-Cody NEVER bit her. I told him this. He said well it could be a dog bite. I dont have a DOG! And my cats dont go outside, RIGHT! This stupid vet who over the years we must have given over $2,000 is telling me that my indoor only, seperated from all other animals cat has been bitten by some non-existant cat or dog? HA! But I kept my patient with him and stood my ground, he still didn't believe me, what could I do though.

Took her back, got those aweful tubes out-they put staples in her, again, no pain meds or anisthesa. (sp?) He did give us ointment to put on it though. By the time we got home, she already had 3 of her 8-10 staples out! By the end of the week se had them all out and the wound wasn't closing up and healing properly so off to the stupid vet again. He said that he was concerned that there could be a hernia, kept my cat over night, opened her up AGIAN, just to find out that there was NO HERNIA! He puts more staples in and wraps her up with a bandage around her tummy. I get home, realize that the idiot vet had put her bandage on WAY too tight. So I took it off and made Bella this pitiful suit out of a brand new sock. I cut a head-hole though the toes, 2 holes for her front legs, and trimmed itso that it didn't go over her back legs. And it worked, Bella couldn't get her staples out.

It healed, her back is 99.9% better, though I can still feel her broken vertibrae-it's like a bump in her back. She is still shaved-everytime they put staples in they would shave over half of her back, and her hair is growing back grey-she looks so pitiful, but she feels wonderful and now she is with Cody. I had to seperate her for all of this time for fear that rough play would mess up her back, tear her tubes out, break open her staples, ect, ect. This poor cat has had a rough start at life, but I plan on making the rest of her long life as wonderful, fun, happy, and well taken care of as I can.

PS-I am NEVER going back to that vet again, even if they are the last vet in the USA. He clearly didn't pay much attention in vet school.

I don't have any recent pics yet, she looks so bad that I hate to take pics-but I know TCS loooves pics, so I will see what I can do!!!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! Poor baby!
I`m so glad she is doing better now...it sure sounds like she has been through the mill and back again!
I wonder if she might have poked herself on something and it got infected???
Linda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is exactly what I am thinking! She's been through alot, hope she doesn't have to go through all of this ever again!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like BOTH of you have been though a lot.
I`m so glad she`s better......I`m sure you are doing better too, since she is!
I know how it is to be a worried kitty mom!
Linda

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Bella! You are both troopers. What a nightmare this had to be for you. I wouldn't go back to that vet either. What a dweeb. Sending healthy healing vibes for Bella and hugs for you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
=) I got her some salmon oil stuff, to help grow her hair back.

Thanks for listening to my groaning and moaning (looong post-I know)-that vet has seen the last of me and my babies.

Thanks for your support guys!

Bella713-Actually, to be honest, I stole the name from you
I saw your sig and wondered what happened to your Bella, looked up the story, and it touched my heart! You went through a lot, no one should have to go through that. Since then I couldn't get that name out of my head, and it fitted my cat-so I figured "Bella" would do!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my share of moanin and groanin, too
That's why we're here! Someone else who has this problem will see your post and be more informed to deal with their situation.
Ya did good!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Bella713-Actually, to be honest, I stole the name from you
I saw your sig and wondered what happened to your Bella, looked up the story, and it touched my heart! You went through a lot, no one should have to go through that. Since then I couldn't get that name out of my head, and it fitted my cat-so I figured "Bella" would do!
Well I know
Bella
would feel honored, I know I do, Thank you