TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Word of Warning -- New Food
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Word of Warning -- New Food

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Hi...,

I know the majority of you get the expensive cat foods at the pet store, such as Iams, Science Diet, or whatever.

Since I have so many cats, I just can't afford to do it all the time. I always buy the natural dry food (they get wet also) making sure there are no colors, fillers, artificial flavors, etc.

The other day I saw advertised and then bought something called "The Goodlife Recipe"....with real salmon, brown rice & garden greens.....it said no artificial flavors or preservatives, no fillers, taste guarantee, etc., etc.

I have to tell you.....it was horrible. The cats LOVED it....and this was on last Thursday I gave it to them.

Don't mean to be gross, but this is a reality forum.....almost all of them are still having diarrhea....their stools are almost bright orange....and there is a little throwing up. Much bettere today than it was the day after they ate it....could not believe it....just thought I would warn you all.....I bought it at Publix....and it was EXPENSIVE.

Regards to all....Toomany
post #2 of 28
I don't necessarily know if it was the food that gave them the diarrhea... Did you just start giving the new food to them right away? If you did it probably upset their tummies. You are supposed to gradually add some of the new food in with the old so their stomach can get used to it. That may be the culprit!
post #3 of 28
Whooo! I don't know about Good Life, (I know I looked at the ingredients on something named similar to that-and it had TONS of ground corn in it...) but I sure hope your kitties get better!!!
post #4 of 28
that stuff is pretty bad. i remember looking at the ingredients when it was just out. iams & purina one are WAY better than that stuff if you are on a budget.
post #5 of 28
GoodLife is TERRIBLE!!! The shelter got a ton dontaed, every animal had diarrhea, the colors in it made them horribly sick & made their poo funny colors.
post #6 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie225 View Post
I don't necessarily know if it was the food that gave them the diarrhea... Did you just start giving the new food to them right away? If you did it probably upset their tummies. You are supposed to gradually add some of the new food in with the old so their stomach can get used to it. That may be the culprit!

Yes...I started giving them the new food right away...and I also mixed it...with their regular food.
Thank you.
post #7 of 28
From what everyone else posted it seems that Goodlife is not a good food.. I had just wanted to point out the mixing thing but it seems as you did everything right! Lots of get well vibes for your babies upset tummies!
post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKisses View Post
Whooo! I don't know about Good Life, (I know I looked at the ingredients on something named similar to that-and it had TONS of ground corn in it...) but I sure hope your kitties get better!!!
Well...I kept the "Guaranteed Analysis" (ingredients) before I threw the food away and am looking at it now. How did you figure it had "TONS" of corn in it? I had no idea corn was harmful to cats.

Would like to know....thanks.
post #9 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleraven7726 View Post
that stuff is pretty bad. i remember looking at the ingredients when it was just out. iams & purina one are WAY better than that stuff if you are on a budget.
My cats get Purina One mixed with the Publix cat food. Have been doing this for years...so far.....still have my oldest...18 years old. Thanks. Wish I could win the lotto and only buy them the best.....they deserve it....but at least I kept them all from being put to sleep and they have had good lives for 10 plus years....all of them.

post #10 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
GoodLife is TERRIBLE!!! The shelter got a ton dontaed, every animal had diarrhea, the colors in it made them horribly sick & made their poo funny colors.
Hi I really appreciate hearing from someone who actually saw what this stuff did. Believe me, I won't try anything new again....even if it sounds like the ingredients are PERFECT. I'll just stick to the food they have thrived on for 10 plus years.

post #11 of 28
I was also interested in it when it first came out, but upon reading the ingredients not that great despite what they claim

also, corn is not really "bad" for cats, but it is basically a filler, if the food you feed has a lot of corn in it, you're paying for something that, to be honest, is going in one end and right out the other
post #12 of 28
I think that if what you have is working for you (cats are extremely healthy, like the flavor, is nutritious)... why change? I also saw this advertised but it had wayyyyyy too much grains for my preference. I like Nutro; it's decent, local, affordable, and Zoey eats plenty of it! I do hope your kitties get better!
post #13 of 28
Goodlife is not a food I would consider feeding..

If you have acess to a feed store there is a GREAT food for the price 13.99 for 35lbs... called SPORTMIX... I has NO animal related by products , artificial colors or flavors or chemical preservatives.. It does have corn wheat and soy which are just not needed and in the case of corn less digestable but the PRICE is right and decent food to boot
post #14 of 28
Really?! We get everything at feed stores! Footwear, shirts, jeans, dog food; alot of stuff. We have several locally, I will definitely keep that in mind! Thanks so much for that suggestion, I'll see if they carry that! *scribbles down note*
post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
I was also interested in it when it first came out, but upon reading the ingredients not that great despite what they claim

also, corn is not really "bad" for cats, but it is basically a filler, if the food you feed has a lot of corn in it, you're paying for something that, to be honest, is going in one end and right out the other

And in large writing on the front of the bag (among other things)...it said "No Fillers." Can't trust anyone, can you?
post #16 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Goodlife is not a food I would consider feeding..

If you have acess to a feed store there is a GREAT food for the price 13.99 for 35lbs... called SPORTMIX... I has NO animal related by products , artificial colors or flavors or chemical preservatives.. It does have corn wheat and soy which are just not needed and in the case of corn less digestable but the PRICE is right and decent food to boot

Thanks....I'll google it and see what the ingredients are....but guess I will just stick to what they have had for 10 years plus....the mix between One, Indoor and UTI food.

Thanks for everyone's advice. No need for more for me....thanks.
post #17 of 28
check out the 'free stuff' thread - you can get samples & coupons for foods just by emailing lots of the companies. that way, you can get some better quality foods for less !
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomany View Post
Thanks....I'll google it and see what the ingredients are....but guess I will just stick to what they have had for 10 years plus....the mix between One, Indoor and UTI food.

Thanks for everyone's advice. No need for more for me....thanks.
If you are feeding a decent food that works for you, isn't going to break the bank and the kitties are healthy and happy - well, you know the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I've changed food a couple times trying to find something they would eat that's less expensive and haven't had any poo issues but I think I've been lucky. Bijou is getting way too heavy on the current food, so I'm going to change again this week. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
post #19 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
If you are feeding a decent food that works for you, isn't going to break the bank and the kitties are healthy and happy - well, you know the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I've changed food a couple times trying to find something they would eat that's less expensive and haven't had any poo issues but I think I've been lucky. Bijou is getting way too heavy on the current food, so I'm going to change again this week. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Fingers are crossed.....what do they eat now?

Oh, and by the way.....from your signature....looks like you have a few of those "blue-eyed demons".....

My poor Sammy (cross between a Siamese and Tabby)....wants so bad to be a "real" Siamese....he even crosses his eyes for me!!!
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomany View Post
Fingers are crossed.....what do they eat now?

Oh, and by the way.....from your signature....looks like you have a few of those "blue-eyed demons".....

My poor Sammy (cross between a Siamese and Tabby)....wants so bad to be a "real" Siamese....he even crosses his eyes for me!!!
Sammy is a handsome devil. Bijou is my dream kitty - I always wanted a lilac point and Mika came into our home when our daughter moved back in with her cat. Mika is a full sister to Bijou but from a litter a year later. They are both joys and have a wonderful disposition. We feel very blessed to have them.
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomany View Post
Hi...,

I know the majority of you get the expensive cat foods at the pet store, such as Iams, Science Diet, or whatever.

Since I have so many cats, I just can't afford to do it all the time. I always buy the natural dry food (they get wet also) making sure there are no colors, fillers, artificial flavors, etc.

The other day I saw advertised and then bought something called "The Goodlife Recipe"....with real salmon, brown rice & garden greens.....it said no artificial flavors or preservatives, no fillers, taste guarantee, etc., etc.

I have to tell you.....it was horrible. The cats LOVED it....and this was on last Thursday I gave it to them.

Don't mean to be gross, but this is a reality forum.....almost all of them are still having diarrhea....their stools are almost bright orange....and there is a little throwing up. Much bettere today than it was the day after they ate it....could not believe it....just thought I would warn you all.....I bought it at Publix....and it was EXPENSIVE.

Regards to all....Toomany
Just to clarify, Iams and Science Diet are terrible cat foods, I put them right up there with Pedigree and Purina. The Goodlife looks good with its claims and packaging, but when you read the ingredients, you see what a bad food it is. With 6 cats I only spend about $30 a month in dry food, and that's feeding California Natural. Anything that you can buy at Wal-Mart or the grocery store is not high quality. You will be better off in the long run by not having expensive vet bills, by feeding high quality cat food now, instead of the junk you find in the grocery store.

Some examples of high quality foods are:
Innova
Evo
Felidae
California Natural
Wellness
Solid Gold
Prairie
Timberwolf Organics
Chicken Soup

And those are just a few. Chicken Soup would probably be the most cost effective of the group I listed.
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterkitty View Post
Just to clarify, Iams and Science Diet are terrible cat foods, I put them right up there with Pedigree and Purina. The Goodlife looks good with its claims and packaging, but when you read the ingredients, you see what a bad food it is. With 6 cats I only spend about $30 a month in dry food, and that's feeding California Natural. Anything that you can buy at Wal-Mart or the grocery store is not high quality. You will be better off in the long run by not having expensive vet bills, by feeding high quality cat food now, instead of the junk you find in the grocery store.

Some examples of high quality foods are:
Innova
Evo
Felidae
California Natural
Wellness
Solid Gold
Prairie
Timberwolf Organics
Chicken Soup

And those are just a few. Chicken Soup would probably be the most cost effective of the group I listed.
Very true but many of those are $$$$$ for someone starting on the sales at the grocery store...Cost also varies by area ... here feeding two cats Cal natural is about 20$ a month...

TO the OP if you want to here about some options that are better than your current I am a PM away
post #23 of 28
http://www.crvetcenter.com/foodallergy.htm - lists hypoallergenic carbs for dogs and cats, and which carbs most often cause a food allergy

I always give this link, good article and you'll see corn is listed as one of the carbs most often causing a food allergy. Dealing with a food allergy in even one cat can be expensive, let alone in a multi-cat household. Trust me, I know from experience (miss you sweet Joshua Poobers).
post #24 of 28
Thanks for that link Pat...
the site also has an excellent section about scent sac issues...
Dexter's tend to plug.
post #25 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterkitty View Post
Just to clarify, Iams and Science Diet are terrible cat foods, I put them right up there with Pedigree and Purina. The Goodlife looks good with its claims and packaging, but when you read the ingredients, you see what a bad food it is. With 6 cats I only spend about $30 a month in dry food, and that's feeding California Natural. Anything that you can buy at Wal-Mart or the grocery store is not high quality. You will be better off in the long run by not having expensive vet bills, by feeding high quality cat food now, instead of the junk you find in the grocery store.

Some examples of high quality foods are:
Innova
Evo
Felidae
California Natural
Wellness
Solid Gold
Prairie
Timberwolf Organics
Chicken Soup

And those are just a few. Chicken Soup would probably be the most cost effective of the group I listed.

I didn't know the grocery store food was junk food. All my cats are over 10 years old to 18...and have been eating it for all their lives. Oh well.....learn something every day.
post #26 of 28
Most grocery and many premiums foods are GRAIN based ...or Animal by product based( heads, ft, guts, organs, undeveloped eggs) ... this means less digestable and you have to feed kitty more than some of the ones that are meat based...less digestable also means some of the nutrients may not be absorbed as well

I use a mid leval premium cause I find it cost effective and have had less vet issues than on grocery foods///

You can find "decent " food in the grocery store .... examples Walmarts Maxxium brand , Purinas Naturals , Natural Life... all are animal by product free and chemical presvative and artifical flavor and color free .. They are not corn , wheat and soy free which is fine for MANY cats ... Many good wet s can be found there as well but the $$ are about the same for True premiums in the mid quality to high quality range...

I would love to feed an all raw diet but my Zoey wont eat ... Rule of thumb give the best food you can afford and the cats will eat... I had a girl see nearly 19 she ate friskies for the first 13 cause I did nt know any better ...
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomany View Post
Fingers are crossed.....what do they eat now?

Oh, and by the way.....from your signature....looks like you have a few of those "blue-eyed demons".....

My poor Sammy (cross between a Siamese and Tabby)....wants so bad to be a "real" Siamese....he even crosses his eyes for me!!!
Your Sammy is soooo cute! He looks a bit smug , too, like he knows he's cute!!
post #28 of 28
Thread Starter 
Thank you all for your advice. Actually, I initially posted about the effect the new "Goodlife" food had on my cats....as a little bit of a warning because I experienced. Actually, was not asking for advice on what I feed my cats...but thanks for all the interesting information and well worth looking into. No need for further posts on here for me. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Word of Warning -- New Food