I need someone to talk to

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I have been looking and looking for counselors in my area. How do you even go about finding one?

I know I have posted about someproblems before but I feel like im just going nuts. I havent been to counseling in 12 years im scared.

I dont even know what to say when I call "hi I need to talk with someone cause im going crazy." lol.

I had the ep study done for fast heart rate and they didnt find anything this time so now im wondering if it isnt anxiety.

I started a full time job last year and got the summer off but im dreading going back to work this aug.

I havent slept well since a week ago last Thursday.

I am scared talking to someone is gonna bring up a lot of things from my past. I dont know if I want to deal with that again.

I guess I just dont even know where to start. What if they tell me im just crazy?

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many companies have an EAP (Employee Assistance Program) as part of their benefits. They offer a set number of counseling sessions per year, at no charge or very small charge.

There are also some community based services that may be available in your area. Look up your city/town online and see there is a link there.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry what anyone thinks...and I'm sure they won't call you crazy! You can just say that you are looking for someone to talk to about your anxiety problems. It is probably a lot more common than you think. Good luck sweetie.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are great ways to deal with trauma. I found my therapist (who I havent seen in almost a year because insurance only covers so many visits) off of my insurance website under mental care. There I was able to view her background and her specialties. There is nothing to be afraid of except for fear itself. Dealing with trauma is overwhelming but there are ways to go about it effectively... I was suppose to be a subject of EMDR treatment (for all my traumas in life) but wasnt able to get to that point, I ran out of sessions (I plan to go back)... EMDR is Eye Movement Desensitiazation Reprocessing, it is almost like hypnosis but is a very effective way to cope with trauma (works with vietnam vets, rape victims, etc)... There are options to deal with trauma, taking it step by step is the first start. Of course no one wants to relive their bad moments and memories, but not coping with them and learning from them is harmful mentally.

Check out EMDR and read about trauma... There is alot to learn and alot of help out there that is available to you:

http://www.emdr.com/

Most therapists are willing to go lengths to help patients cope with their issues... It is good to talk about things whether you feel you shouldn't or should, there is nothing to be ashamed about. I personally never went the medication route but my therapist was specialized in things I never imagined... EMDR, Reiki, etc... It is amazing (If you find the right therapist, and you must trust and feel comfortable with them, which will take time) what good can come of things if you just talk about them (so many differnet options available to meet your needs). I have major issues with fear, anger, anxiety, depression, previous trauma, and trust. As much as I hated reliving these feelings it felt good to express them and take a load off. Remember that therapists are not their to judge but to help. I personally have had good and bad experiences with therapists, it is all about finding one that suits you on a personal level.

No professional will treat you as though you are crazy, well all live in a messed up world and all have our own personal demons/fears to face.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The easiest thing may be to call the nearest hospital and ask if they can recommend a clinic or physician for emotional disorders. Please, don't be afraid for one moment of what anyone may think or say -- all that matters is that you find the help you need, and if you run into some ignorant people along the way, to heck with 'em. It will be so worth it when you find a counselor who can really help you!

And don't be afraid of bringing up issues from the past. That's the only way to finally lay them to rest and get them off your mind. A good counselor will walk you right through them safe and sound, and help you reach a point where those things can't hurt you anymore. Ever.

I'm so glad you're going to find some help! Anxiety is a very tough thing to deal with alone -- but with some counseling and possibly some medication (at least for awhile), it's amazing how relatively easy it is to get it under control... and how much, much better you'll feel once you do. (I've been there and done that.)

Make the call! Find the right resource for you -- it may be the first one you contact, it may be the fifth or sixth, but don't give up. And please keep us posted here, if you will... our thoughts will be with you all the way.

P.S. -- You are not crazy! "Crazy" isn't even a technical term, but if it were, it would apply to people who are out of touch with reality in some way... that's not you. "Crazy" isn't even in your ballpark!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by april31

I am scared talking to someone is gonna bring up a lot of things from my past. I dont know if I want to deal with that again.

I guess I just dont even know where to start. What if they tell me im just crazy?
Oh I can guarantee you they most certainly will bring up your past. I understand that its not fun. I was made to damn near relive my childhood just last year, because I wanted to
. I don't understand why they try and blame a persons childhood on todays events

They will NOT call you crazy, so don't worry.

IMO, EAP therapists can be unprofessional, I had one that took a phone call during a session. It's my time but he's gas bagging on the phone because his daughter had a child, he should have told me before the session.

That all probably sounds negative and unhelpful, sorry.

I saw 4 therapists before meeting number 5, who was able to help. I hope you don't encounter such a problem.

Lots of ((((((((((((((VIBES)))))))))))))) to you, from Me, Diego and Neko.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I jst feel like everything is getting so overwhelming i dont even know how to cope with it. All my thoughts are scrambled and I feel like No matter what I do it wont change anything.

Oh and never take one of those online assesments that will scare you enough. I took one last night and it told me to go see someone or go to the nearest emergency room.

There isnt many choices here but even looking at them is overwhelming.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive taken those tests and according to them I am a manic depressive, biopolar, angered, etc... You cant base a persons issues off of such an impersonal test. Get analyzed you will feel better. I too wish to go back soon, I wish my insurance covered more sessions because I require many before we can effectively do EMDR. I have feelings of being trapped with no way out.... a therapist will help you see past that block, and even encourage you to face your issues, it is very theraputic and an exceptional learning process to put yourself in a position to pour out every thought and emotion that ailes you... Not only will your outlook improve but you will grow as a person.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Contact your University Psychology Department and ask about counselling programs. They usuallly have them with grad students who are about to graduate and need to practice before hand. I've gone to see grad students as part of these programs and they've helped me a great deal.

Also contact your local hospital emergency department and ask about a psychologist.

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you ask your regular doctor for a referal? A local hospital? I wish you all the best and loads of luck. You are not crazy. If anyone calls you that, leave immediately.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

IMO, EAP therapists can be unprofessional, I had one that took a phone call during a session. It's my time but he's gas bagging on the phone because his daughter had a child, he should have told me before the session.
I work in a Counseling Clinic, and we work with EAPs daily and we aren't unprofessional at all.

I would contact your insurance company and see who they reccomend in your area. A lot of the time they contract with clinics, which means that you know they are decent. We contract with Blue Cross Blue Shield & many other major insurance companies.

I would call your insurance company to see what your Outpatient Mental Health benefits are, to see what your co pay would be, ect, before you go ahead and see anyone. Just in case money would be an issue
A lot of the time people are unaware of their deductibles, co pays, and after they have gone to see a counseler a few times, and get a big bill, they are a little scared & don't want to come back. Just to be prepared

And don't worry, they won't think your crazy, they are here to help you- and thats what they are here for!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just need to get the guts to pick up the phone.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by april31

I just need to get the guts to pick up the phone.
No one can do it for you, and nothing will change until you take the steps to help yourself. If you want things to change then you have to pick up the phone no matter how you feel.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call your regular doctor, explain what you're feeling and that you wish for a referral to a therapist.
Keep in mind too that the first one you get may not work out. In a sense working with a therapist is like working at a relationship. I went through several in high school and college until the last year of my college I found one that I could work with.

If it helps to know too the therapists that I have known personally are just as crazy as we can be.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thats good to know.

I guess there is somethings i just havent delt with.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The hardest part might be finding the strength to ask for help. You can do it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't understand why they try and blame a persons childhood on todays events
Ah, my friend, I had the same thought at one time. In my 20s, I got diagnosed with depression/anxiety, and they told me they wanted me to do daily medication and weekly therapy with a counselor. I resisted, explaining that I knew what was behind my problems and didn't need therapy -- just give me the meds and I'll be fine, I told them. But they wouldn't.

So I started going to a counselor, and sure enough, she didn't have much to say about my current problems -- she wanted to talk about my childhood. I resisted mightily, assuring her that what was going on with me had nothing to do with my parents or the past, and it would be a waste of time. She first tried to persuade me, and finally, she said, "Okay, maybe you're right. But will you just humor me for a few sessions and see how it goes?"

So I did. She asked all sorts of questions about my parents, my brother, school, everything. She forced me to think about things I had been trying to avoid for years, and I didn't like it one bit. But I had promised to humor her for awhile, so I went along with it.

And by heaven, it turned out that she was absolutely 100% right. The origins of everything I was dealing with were all back there in childhood, in the relationships within my family, the experiences of my school years... it was all rooted back there. During our sixth or seventh session, we had a couple of dramatic moments, breakthroughs, epiphanies -- and then suddenly I was on board, and she and I worked together for the rest of a solid year, rebuilding my whole outlook from a perspective that was free from those early distortions.

That's why they always want to go back to your childhood -- because that's where the trail that brought you here began.

So... that was my experience. I was very, very lucky to have a good counselor... I dearly hope April has that good luck, too.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was made to damn near relive my childhood just last year, because I wanted to
. I don't understand why they try and blame a persons childhood on todays events
In another life I was close to becoming a counselor, yet decided to make a career change half way into it.
Anyway, there are different schools of thoughts, theories, and psychologies for therapists/counselors. For example:
-Psychoanalytic (which includes Freud, Jung, Erickson, Adler, etc)
-Behavioristic (which includes Waston, Skinner, Glasser, etc)
-Humanistic (includes Maslow, Frankl, Ellis, etc.)
Some blend these, some focus pretty much on one school of thought. Each one has its big founders, believers, and followers.

Not everyone believes the past unlocks the present or future or counsels in that manner. If you do not like that particular way, research before hand the different approaches and research what type of counseling the person offers, and avoid those types you don’t think help you. However, know that you might need to face up to what you are avoiding and avoidance can be unhealthy. But if the process isn’t working for you and is making you agitated, then switch to another style that makes you feel more comfortable. There are so many people in practice that want to help others and there are many different ways they can do that.