TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Wet Food Advice - 6 mo. old kitten
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wet Food Advice - 6 mo. old kitten

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi everyone, I need some input. I know I have asked before, but my home computer is temporarily down so can't access my notes!

Riley is 6 months old and has been eating adult food at his foster home. I brought him home this weekend. He is eating California Natural for the dry and right now is getting a rotation of Wellness, Cal. Nat. and Merricks for the wet.

Do I need to switch him to a kitten wet? Or would an all stage food like Felidae be ok? I can shop at petsmart and a local pet store that carries nearly everything, so any US brand is open.

Suggestions please? He will eat anything. I would prefer to avoid heavy fish. Thanks!
post #2 of 12
I think your current choices sound good. I think the canned Wellness, Cal. Nat, and Merrick's are all life stages. Wellness does have a canned kitten food too, chicken based I think. None of my cats like it as well as the other "regular" flavors, though. It's not mushy enough for their taste. Riley might like it though.
post #3 of 12
Felidea is fine

decent/ very good kittens ate Petsmart

Authority

Nutro (will be on shelves soon )

Blue spa
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
The store was out of felidae so I'll get him that next time I go, and maybe some kitten canned to rotate in with the other. He seems to like the Cal. Nat. better than the merricks so far, so maybe I'll stop with the merricks and add some kitten instead.
post #5 of 12
IMO if he's been eating adult food and is in good health - not too fat or skinny, then there is no reason to go back to kitten foods.

Charlie was switched to all adult food about 5 months old with no problems. Personally I don't believe in feeding kittens kitten food for a year. Many will become overweight if eating it. Only reason to continue it would be for poor health or something similar.
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
I haven't had him to his first vet check yet, but he seems to be healthy. His fur is nice and he's not skinny or fat and hasn't had any litterbox issues. I bought several kinds of food because I wanted to see what he likes best. Once I figure out his favorites I'll probably just get 2 kinds of wet and alternate them.

He gets one 3oz can per day, half in the morning and half at night. He usually eats most of it right off, then goes back to finish it a while later. He nibbles on some of the dry also throughout the day (and night I assume) but doesn't eat a lot. He's eaten maybe one cup, or less, in 4 days. Does that sound right? Its been almost a decade since I've had a kitten
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl View Post
Riley is 6 months old and has been eating adult food at his foster home. I brought him home this weekend. He is eating California Natural for the dry and right now is getting a rotation of Wellness, Cal. Nat. and Merricks for the wet.

Or would an all stage food like Felidae be ok? !
That diet sounds GREAT! I use Felidae on rotation, I really like it. All stages foods are fine. I love EVO!
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl View Post
I haven't had him to his first vet check yet, but he seems to be healthy. His fur is nice and he's not skinny or fat and hasn't had any litterbox issues. I bought several kinds of food because I wanted to see what he likes best. Once I figure out his favorites I'll probably just get 2 kinds of wet and alternate them.

He gets one 3oz can per day, half in the morning and half at night. He usually eats most of it right off, then goes back to finish it a while later. He nibbles on some of the dry also throughout the day (and night I assume) but doesn't eat a lot. He's eaten maybe one cup, or less, in 4 days. Does that sound right? Its been almost a decade since I've had a kitten

It doesn't sound like he's eating very much but when you consider that he's eating high quality foods it is probably the right amount.
post #9 of 12
sound s about right if he is about 4-5 lbs
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
sound s about right if he is about 4-5 lbs
I don't have a digital scale at home, but on the old fashioned one, he seems to weigh about 5 or 6 pounds. It didn't seem like he was eating much to me, but then Alley was a piggie and more than twice his size. He does like the Cal. Nat. dry so I know he eats that if he's hungry between "meals". I can give him more canned if you think he needs it?

I'm hoping to take him for his vet visit and microchipping next week, so can get an accurate weight then. I'm thinking I should buy a better scale so I can keep track of his weight.
post #11 of 12
Try a teaspoon more wet and see if he eats
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Try a teaspoon more wet and see if he eats
Will do, thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Wet Food Advice - 6 mo. old kitten