Banana Cream Pie Recipes???

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So right now i'm eating a little thing of Yoplait's "Banana Cream Pie" yogurt (incredable by the way!
) and now i'm CRAVING the real thing! I've never made a banana cream pie before so i need a yummy recipe/tips!!!
Does anyone have a good recipe??

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

So right now i'm eating a little thing of Yoplait's "Banana Cream Pie" yogurt (incredable by the way!
) and now i'm CRAVING the real thing! I've never made a banana cream pie before so i need a yummy recipe/tips!!!
Does anyone have a good recipe??
Ingredients
Crust
2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup mashed banana
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Filling
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3 large egg yolks
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

5 ripe bananas (about 1 1/2 pounds total), peeled, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
preparation
For crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Stir graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and mashed banana in large bowl to blend. Add unsalted butter and stir to moisten evenly. Press onto bottom and up sides of 10-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.

Bake crust until set and pale golden, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.

For filling:
Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt in heavy medium saucepan to blend. Gradually whisk in whipping cream and whole milk, then egg yolks. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add vanilla bean. Whisk over medium-high heat until custard thickens and boils, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in unsalted butter and vanilla extract. Discard vanilla bean. Transfer custard to large bowl; cool completely, whisking occasionally, about 1 hour.

Stir custard to loosen, if necessary. Spread 1 cup custard over bottom of prepared crust. Top with half of sliced bananas, then 1 cup custard, covering bananas completely. Repeat layering with remaining bananas and remaining custard. Chill banana cream pie until filling is set and crust softens slightly, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.

Your resident chef has come through for you again

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is that the same thing as a banoffee pie? I love banoffee pie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

Ingredients
Crust
2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup mashed banana
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Filling
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3 large egg yolks
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

5 ripe bananas (about 1 1/2 pounds total), peeled, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
preparation
For crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Stir graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and mashed banana in large bowl to blend. Add unsalted butter and stir to moisten evenly. Press onto bottom and up sides of 10-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.

Bake crust until set and pale golden, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.

For filling:
Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt in heavy medium saucepan to blend. Gradually whisk in whipping cream and whole milk, then egg yolks. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add vanilla bean. Whisk over medium-high heat until custard thickens and boils, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in unsalted butter and vanilla extract. Discard vanilla bean. Transfer custard to large bowl; cool completely, whisking occasionally, about 1 hour.

Stir custard to loosen, if necessary. Spread 1 cup custard over bottom of prepared crust. Top with half of sliced bananas, then 1 cup custard, covering bananas completely. Repeat layering with remaining bananas and remaining custard. Chill banana cream pie until filling is set and crust softens slightly, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.

Your resident chef has come through for you again
ohh thankyou!!!
that recipe sounds great!

Originally Posted by Kiwideus

since we live in different areas- maybe we have different terms for the same thing?

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Slightly different, heres a recipe
(that's an evil laugh BTW)
(it takes a long time to make the caramel/toffee so if you don't have the time, make the caramel/toffee in advance I.E the day before)

BANOFFEE PIE

Ingredients
2 cups canned sweetened condensed milk (21 oz)
1 (9-inch) round of refrigerated pie dough (from 15-oz package)
3 large bananas
1 1/2 cups chilled heavy cream
1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar

Special equipment: a 9-inch pie plate (preferably deep dish)
preparation
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.

Method
Pour condensed milk into pie plate and stir in a generous pinch of salt. Cover pie plate with foil and crimp foil tightly around rim. Put in a roasting pan, then add enough boiling-hot water to reach halfway up side of pie plate, making sure that foil is above water. Bake, refilling pan to halfway with water about every 40 minutes, until milk is thick and a deep golden caramel color, for 3 hours. Remove pie plate from water bath and transfer toffee to a bowl, then chill toffee, uncovered, until it is cold, about 1 hour.

While toffee is chilling, clean pie plate and bake pie crust in it according to package instructions. Cool pie crust completely in pan on a rack, about 20 minutes.

Spread toffee evenly in crust, and chill, uncovered, 15 minutes.

Cut bananas into 1/4-inch-thick slices and pile over toffee.

Beat cream with brown sugar in a clean bowl with an electric mixer until it just holds soft peaks, then mound over top of pie.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Diego - I think I will stick to buying it from the supermarket or the bakery.
It sounds like a lot of work!