I think I might be in trouble...hypoglycemic

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Toby is my diabetic cat, 15+ years old. He was on insulin for 3 years, then off for 1 1/2, then had to start again. The vet thought glargine was the best option, so we started him on 3 units a day. After 10 days he went hypoglycemic and has been off the insulin for about a month. During that time his glucose was consistently about 150. Last week he started showing symptoms and his glucose went back over 300. We checked it again yesterday and it was 329, so the vet decided to start him on 2 units a day again.

Long story short, last night he lost control of his bladder and bowels, and became very lethargic. I got him to eat and gave him a small amount of corn syrup, but he didin't seem to be coming around. I've been monitoring him for the past 4-5 hours, and have probably given him a total of 6-8 ccs of corn syrup in addition to food and he's still pretty lethargic. At one point I saw some head ticks, but for the most part he just lays there. He will respond slightly to having his chin rubbed or being brushed, not his usual self though.

My clinics not open on Sundays, so it will be early tomorrow morning before I can get him in unless I go to an eclinic, which I am hesitant to do. He seems comfortable and I know he's not a youngster, I'm just not sure if there's anything else I can be doing. Anyone with any diabetic experience have any suggestions on what else I can try?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you monitor his glucose level at home? What's his glucose level now?

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

If it's like in people, you should try to monitor his blood sugar at home. Find a vet that will work with you in fine-tuning his insulin needs, if you don't feel the current vet is working out properly.

I found this website for you on Feline Diabetes: http://www.felinediabetes.com/index.html
I skimmed the site & it looks pretty good, lots of FAQ's & different management strategies.

Here's the page from that website on the topic of hypoglycemia in cats:
http://www.felinediabetes.com/hypogly.htm

Please keep us posted on kitty's well-being...

Good Luck & healing vibes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, that's the problem. He had a full examination on Thursday, in addition to glucose checks then and on Saturday. As I mentioned, it was over 300 both times. Of course I did not give him insulin today, so all of this seems to have prompted by 2 units yesterday. He was on anywhere from 3-8 units twice a day for the three years he took insulin. (only then it was ultralente)

Thanks for the website. I use that one and sugarcats. They all appear to have the same standard info...probably cause that's all there is out there.

While he is definitely not himself, he is aware and responsive, so I think I'll just try to keep food in him and possibly more corn syrup if he starts to lose ground. I'll let you know what happens in the morning.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Toby started to eat on his own about 3 this morning and now seems back to his normal self. The vet said that it is likely to spike the opposite direction now and that we need to wait until probably the first of next week to run a curve. I talked to him about running the curve at home and he said that would be fine. So, now I need to get a monitor.

The vet suggested getting one that takes the least amount of blood, and then we talked about what areas to use. So what kind do you use, and where do you pull the blood from? I'm hesitant to do an ear.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

Toby started to eat on his own about 3 this morning and now seems back to his normal self. The vet said that it is likely to spike the opposite direction now and that we need to wait until probably the first of next week to run a curve. I talked to him about running the curve at home and he said that would be fine. So, now I need to get a monitor.

The vet suggested getting one that takes the least amount of blood, and then we talked about what areas to use. So what kind do you use, and where do you pull the blood from? I'm hesitant to do an ear.
Just wanted to see how you & Toby are doing today. I thought I read something about diabetes testing in a recent thread, but it's probably not as much info as you need: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...abetes+testing

I hope things are getting better, though

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for asking. He's doing better today.

I'll probably join one of the feline diabetes websites for more information. I thought there would be more posters here with insight about the meters, etc. I've been dealing with his diabetes for about five years now, so I have a pretty good idea of the basics.

That nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach, when I though he was actually checking out on me has subsided for the time being. Have a nice 4th.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the One Touch Ultra Mini from Lifescan to monitor Eric's blood glucose. I chose it because it requires the least amount of blood. I've only been doing this for two weeks so am still fine tuning my method of doing the ear prick to get blood. Here's a web site that explains how to get the sample. It's part of the Sugar Cats site that you already use so you may have seen it already. I found it very helpful.

I hope Toby is still doing better and that you can get his insulin regulated. I've been lucky so far in that I can control Eric's glucose level by diet.

http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/harry/bgtest.htm

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My eyesight is not so great, which is why the ear may or may not be an issue for me.

I also managed to get Toby's weight down and get him off insulin by diet (Purina DM), so I'm hoping we can get back on track after this little setback. My vet did admit that they only have owners of dogs monitoring glucose at home now, and that he felt they were easier to check. He mentioned shaving a spot above the tail. A big 'ol mutt like my dog Dobber would be a breeze.

I'll check the One Touch and Freestyle out. Thanks.