Getting two kittens... which sex pairing?

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Background info : http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133015

I'll be adopting two Siamese kittens in about two months, and I've had people tell me female/female pairing is better, whereas I've been told male/female make for a better mix.

I'd like to know more about the behavior of felines together, I know too little about animals too make an informed decision (I'm a medial student, so I know lots about humans, but cats aren't part of our learning process
) !

Obviously the kittens will be brother and sister (or sister and sister, as I do not want two males) and I plan to have them spayed/neutered as soon as possible.

Thanks !

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had great luck with female/female combo.
Gracie and Lizzie were Sister and were very close up until we had to have Lizzie put to sleep last month.
They did have a spat now and then...but what Sisters don't?

We have two other cats as well..another female and a male.
Gracie and Lizzie would ALWAYS seek out each other to play, groom, sleep or just hang out in the window seat.
They get/got along with the other two but perfered each other's company.
They're very sweet and loving cats.

My Gracie is lost without her Sister, were're hoping to adopt another female around Gracie's age (7 years) or maybe older for her to be buddies with.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as they are altered (spayed/neutered) It really won't make a difference what sex they are. I added a female kitten into our home last year with a adult male and they get along great.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any particular reason you don't want 2 males (brothers)? They will be fine together as long as they are both neutered

Personally I'd go with a M/M combo first choice; M/F 2nd choice and F/F as 3rd choice.

If you wind up with M/F be sure they are spayed/neutered by 4 months old. If your vet won't do them at 3-4 months old, then they will need to be kept separated till they are done or get the female done first. 4 month old kittens can breed and if its a brother/sister breeding you could have a lot of problems genetically!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Any particular reason you don't want 2 males (brothers)? They will be fine together as long as they are both neutered

Personally I'd go with a M/M combo first choice; M/F 2nd choice and F/F as 3rd choice.

If you wind up with M/F be sure they are spayed/neutered by 4 months old. If your vet won't do them at 3-4 months old, then they will need to be kept separated till they are done or get the female done first. 4 month old kittens can breed and if its a brother/sister breeding you could have a lot of problems genetically!
I agree on all counts. And I think Siamese tend to mature early, so what GK said last is especially true.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are siblings then it doesn't matter much. I ALWAYS love and suggest 2 males because they are almost always so loving and cool around each other. Females are sometimes too snotty to get along, they tussle and are never really comfortable around each other. And female/male, it can go either way. I can almost always guarentee the male/male pairings would be best though, especially littermates.

Why do you not want two males?

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that it really doesn't matter so long as they're neutered. Just go for the individuals you like best. I've always had M/M pairings and they've been fine together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personal preference on my part... we always have had female pets in my house... I did not know that males were friendlier than females though. I gotta say, my friend's Siamese is absolutely terrific in terms of being affectionate - whenever I come over and sit on the sofa for example, she'll jump right on me and ask me to pet her and she'll just stay there on my lap and purr forever... is males are more affectionate than that it might be a little too much for me to be honest.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerLord

Personal preference on my part... we always have had female pets in my house... I did not know that males were friendlier than females though. I gotta say, my friend's Siamese is absolutely terrific in terms of being affectionate - whenever I come over and sit on the sofa for example, she'll jump right on me and ask me to pet her and she'll just stay there on my lap and purr forever... is males are more affectionate than that it might be a little too much for me to be honest.
Oh I mean to each other really. My cats are all affectionate towards me, but as far as getting along with each other, I have 7 cats. Other then one that everyone picks on, the males are WONDERFUL together, they never "fight" or hiss or growl at each other. But all day long I hear various hisses and growls and swats between the females. They drive me NUTS! The males are all cool and laid back and like whatever, the females are all moody and b*tchy.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think that males are, on average, more chilled out, loving and friendly than females, but many females are friendly too and really is just down to personal preference. I've never had a female pet of any kind. Not sure why really but all my hamsters were males, the dog we had when I was a child was male and I've only had male cats. Guess it's deliberate now! If I do fulfill my dream of breeding somalis I guess I'll have to get a female though

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've owned mixed breeds and purebreds, and if given the choice will take males over females anytime
All my males (neutered or not) have been outgoing, loving cats who could care less who comes in the house.

On the other hand, my females (spayed or not) had attitudes about who came in the house - had one female RB who despised other females - she would allow males in but no other females. Even after being spayed.

I thought Ling would be different - she was 2 yrs old in May. Charlie was 4 months old when we got him. Ling STILL does not accept him totally and Charlie is now 10 months old. That's why my next Ocicat will be another male - no matter how old Charlie is; I know he and Charlie will get along fine

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm- I have a male/female pair (not same littler, but same breeder and only a few weeks apart). They get along with each other very well - sleep together, groom each other etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So if I summarize:
1- Males seem to be friendleir together
2- However if getting two kittens at a young age (especially of they're related) sex matters little as they will grow accustomed together as they grow up

Which means I should get the cuttest and two that seem really close regarless of sex!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

So if I summarize:
1- Males seem to be friendleir together
2- However if getting two kittens at a young age (especially of they're related) sex matters little as they will grow accustomed together as they grow up

Which means I should get the cuttest and two that seem really close regarless of sex!
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Or let the two kittens pick YOU
to both - my pair - i had always wanted a blue cat, so i told the litter owner i wanted the blue kitten & her best friend [secretly hoping it would be the blue-point male]. her best friend was the black & white tuxie... that was Pixel, & Mouse was her littermate. they were always the best of friends, until Mouse's untimely passing
Chip is my 1st male cat, ever!

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Background info : http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133015

I'll be adopting two Siamese kittens in about two months, and I've had people tell me female/female pairing is better, whereas I've been told male/female make for a better mix.

I'd like to know more about the behavior of felines together, I know too little about animals too make an informed decision (I'm a medial student, so I know lots about humans, but cats aren't part of our learning process
) !

Obviously the kittens will be brother and sister (or sister and sister, as I do not want two males) and I plan to have them spayed/neutered as soon as possible.

Thanks !
aww...i like siamese cats too. they are one of my favorite types of cats. but being a college student i can't even think of being able to afford a pure breed of any kind. But about 90% of the cat population i probably like, so i have lots of friends. hehe