She's trying to kill us!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted yesterday in the health & nutrition forum about having a small flea problem in one area of the basement. I haven't noticed any on the animals, and they're all treated with frontline. Well, John's mom decided that she wants to use those indoor foggers in the whole house.. that's fine, whatever. BUT, the instructions clearly state... "Use one per 30'x24' area, stay out of the house for 2 hours, then air out for 30 minutes, repeat in FOUR WEEKS IF NECESSARY" and "DO NOT USE MORE THAN THE RECOMMENDED AMOUNT"... Our basement is almost exactly twice that size, so that's two. She's going to put SIX down here, and as soon as it airs out for 30 minutes, she's putting SIX MORE! I'm really angry about it, because I don't mind having to take the animals out for 3 hours, but now it's going to be even longer and I'm afraid to even come back in the house after having 12 foggers go off in one small area... with the only thing going to air it out is one small door. Plus she's going to use 8 on the first floor twice... so that's 16 going off directly above us, and she's doing 3 on the second floor twice. In total, that's 34 foggers set off just today.
I'm seriously thinking about sleeping in a car tonight... I'm terrified that we'll all get sick if we come back into this house after all that. To top it all off, she wouldn't even start early this morning.. it's 1:30 p.m. right now and she wants to go to town in a few hours and buy the rest of the foggers (she only has six right now) and do them tonight since she's sticking with the two and a half hours per "dose".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Can't you tell her that's too many WTH...that's just not right
I've tried telling her, John has tried telling her.... but she's the mom and "she knows better"... she thinks that if there were a few fleas we need to correct the problem quickly, and her idea of "correction" is 12 foggers where there should only be 2 in the first place.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh heck - well thats just plain crazy, surely all those fumes cant be healthy for humans and of course what about your cats
I know some are safe to use around pets BUT not that many !!

Sounds like she wont listen to any reasoning eh ?? just go open all the doors and windows, maybe she'll get the message then

I hope you get this sorted soon !

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, no, that's so dangerous! Professionals put a tent around the house when they do that much! Dangerous for the neighbors, too, I'd probably end up in the hospital if our neighbors did something like that.

I'd keep all living things out of there for a week. That stuff goes everywhere, it will go upstairs, too, and what about dishes and the film it leaves on everything? Yikes!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you suggest that she get some Borax, and sprinkle it on the carpets and all instead of using that many?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When our old LL had the building bug bombed for roaches, we had to have every living thing out of there for the day! I think it was a day...might have been longer. We had to check to see (they left a note) what time it was ok to go back in. So we stayed at my in-law's while it was going on. The handout said it was dangerous for the pets to be around. Also we had to cover our dishes and everything. (then I washed them again anyway before use) please make sure you get the critters out of there for quite some time. And my LL used a professional.

(our neighbor was a hoarder and brought roaches into the building
we were so happy to move)

with just a few fleas, Frontline or some other flea stuff plus some flea removal type cleaning would probably do the trick. Another thing i've heard of is using a bit of flea collar and keeping it in your vacuum bag. so when you vacuum them up they die. Also wash the critters' beds often.

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think maybe you should tell her what could happen if she was to put that many smoke bombs down there.. and say it could harm the animals...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, she still wouldn't listen to reasoning.... so we took our complaint to John's dad.
He said that if we felt that was too many, then we could use just 3.. and ONLY 3 in the basement. I think 3 is a much more reasonable number than 12! So whenever she decides she's ready to do this we'll let it sit for 2 hours, then air it out for at least 2 hours with lots of fans going for at LEAST 2 hours, probably more before we bring the animals back in.

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

Well, she still wouldn't listen to reasoning.... so we took our complaint to John's dad.
He said that if we felt that was too many, then we could use just 3.. and ONLY 3 in the basement. I think 3 is a much more reasonable number than 12! So whenever she decides she's ready to do this we'll let it sit for 2 hours, then air it out for at least 2 hours with lots of fans going for at LEAST 2 hours, probably more before we bring the animals back in.
Oh well thats mothers for you..

Least you have come to a reasonable agreement