Wierd habit

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so Luna has the strangest habit i've ever seen in a cat (and all my friends with cats think it's wierd too). When she's really happy and she and I are cuddling, I'm petting her, she's purring like crazy, she goes and starts licking her tummy. More precisely, she kind of suckles on one of her nipples, still purring. She's done this since I got her when she was 1 1/2. now she's 4 1/2 and still does it though not as often. when she was younger, she did it so much the hair around one of her nipples kinda wore away. but then she stopped doing it as much, and the hair grew back. Now she only does it occasionally. Does anyone have any idea why this is? any insight would be helpful.
thanks!:

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miao_kitty

Ok so Luna has the strangest habit i've ever seen in a cat (and all my friends with cats think it's wierd too). When she's really happy and she and I are cuddling, I'm petting her, she's purring like crazy, she goes and starts licking her tummy. More precisely, she kind of suckles on one of her nipples, still purring. She's done this since I got her when she was 1 1/2. now she's 4 1/2 and still does it though not as often. when she was younger, she did it so much the hair around one of her nipples kinda wore away. but then she stopped doing it as much, and the hair grew back. Now she only does it occasionally. Does anyone have any idea why this is? any insight would be helpful.
thanks!:
Hmmm I don't know maybe it comforts her in some way, and maybe she was taken away from her mother too soon

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why she's doing it, but I just wanted to let you know that Luna isn't alone in the habit.

Our neighbors cat Ashes does the very same thing.
She has long hair and she licks it so much that it kind of knots up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, i do know that she had a litter of kittens when she was barely a year old or maybe less. But that was before I adopted her, so i don't know what happened w/ that.