Dry or Wet food?

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As you know I have recently brought home Sophia she has been with us for 2 weeks on tuesday but I'm not sure if I should just keep giving her dry food as she likes it or I should give her wet and dry?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give her dry but introduce wet ..

which dry did she come home on and what do you feed>>??

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest feeding her at least half wet food, as it's much better for her kidneys than dry. Even better would be all canned.

It can be very difficult if a cat who only eats dry becomes ill and needs a special diet, because there are some that are only available in wet. At least, that's been my experience here in Europe.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed both wet and dry; Royal Canin dry and Felix Kitten pouches for wet. I prefer giving a mixture of both as he gets water from wet and I feel it's a more well balanced diet. I also give him bits of turkey and ham as treats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

I feed both wet and dry; Royal Canin dry and Felix Kitten pouches for wet. I prefer giving a mixture of both as he gets water from wet and I feel it's a more well balanced diet. I also give him bits of turkey and ham as treats.
the dry is good ... I beleive the wet is okay but the other EU folks will chime in ( I am in the USA) ...

Turkey with no seasoning is fine ... AVOID ham

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've only used Felix so far through lack of choice; I've checked out 3 local Pet Stores and while they have a good variety of dry food they have a very poor choice of wet food (just supermarket brands). I had a look at some stuff online but I wasn't sure about the quality of it so I'll have a look through those threads.

Re: the ham; thanks for the tip; it's a rarity anyway. I keep a constant supply of plain turkey in the fridge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Give her dry but introduce wet ..

which dry did she come home on and what do you feed>>??
Whiskers Kitten dry food

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO if she will eat the wet (without being picky), its better to have a mix of the two. We feed dry for breakfast, canned for supper.

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think a might give her both... because she does like both but I noticed when she was eating just canned , she had created some bad smells

kitkat84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi
.... i don't know how's it in the us, but in indonesia, people often use royal canin or science diet for the dry food....and for the wet food we aren't very picky about that, because most of the time we feed the dry one.... to eliminate teeth problem, i suppose

me, myself feed proplan dry for my 2 years old cat ( since royal canin is a bit pricey )...well at least the dry food doesn't contain >0.1 magnesium thing ( because it'll cause your cat to have kidney problem in the end, esp when he's not a drinker ) cmiiw

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitkat84

hi
.... i don't know how's it in the us, but in indonesia, people often use royal canin or science diet for the dry food....and for the wet food we aren't very picky about that, because most of the time we feed the dry one.... to eliminate teeth problem, i suppose

me, myself feed proplan dry for my 2 years old cat ( since royal canin is a bit pricey )...well at least the dry food doesn't contain >0.1 magnesium thing ( because it'll cause your cat to have kidney problem in the end, esp when he's not a drinker ) cmiiw
She doesn't seem to like the science dry food we got free from the vet
Typical

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PinkRhinos4

I think a might give her both... because she does like both but I noticed when she was eating just canned , she had created some bad smells
Was it the whiskas wet you were feeding? When I gave Mosi some of that he made the most awful smells! He's fine on other wet foods though.

Personally, I would feed predominantly wet as I see no benefit to dry food except that it's convenient if they will eat it as you can then leave it out for them or in auto feeders if you have to go away. Royal Canin is a reasonable dry food. You might want to check out James Wellbeloved too or, if you can order online, Orijen from zooplus (grain free dry).

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its was the canned kitten food which is covered in loaf.. or something like that and I think it was that which was making her have alot of wind

Just bought some kitten pouches and they are with jelly and she loves it...

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are feeding 1/2 dry in the morning and 1/2 wet for dinner for our boy & girl. The boy would eat all the wet food (incl. his sister's) if we let him. To make sure both gets equal share of food I monitor while they eat.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]I feed the best available to me, even remotely locally; Nutro Natural Choice Indoor Kitten for dry. And for wet, she gets Nutro, Natural Life, Meow Mix, Friskies, and Fancy Feast, though mainly the first 3. I would try and feed atleast 2 ounces per day. Really, it prevents alot of entirely possible problems in the future and is much better for your kitten.
[/font]

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slowly introduce wet. It may take awhile (some kitties take better to wet than others) but there are many different brands and flavors out there for her to sample... (It took my older cat 1 peristant month of putting wet food out before he tried it... He loved it, but only loves one kind). Have fun getting kitty introudced to wet food, too cute she is if I might say. My kitten likes Wellness and Felidae Chicken and Rice (all cats have different taste of course but these went over well as introduction foods).

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Slowly introduce wet. It may take awhile (some kitties take better to wet than others) but there are many different brands and flavors out there for her to sample... (It took my older cat 1 peristant month of putting wet food out before he tried it... He loved it, but only loves one kind). Have fun getting kitty introudced to wet food, too cute she is if I might say. My kitten likes Wellness and Felidae Chicken and Rice (all cats have different taste of course but these went over well as introduction foods).
She seems to be enjoying the kitten pouches from Whiskers...better than the canned wet food from whiskers. I think its because the pouches are made with jelly. But I give her wet and dry together she seems enjoy it so.. I'll stick with that. Thanks for all the advice people

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a local petshop? They tend to have better variety than the supermarkets, and depending on what they are like, they may be able to order for you - I have 2 that will happily order the hard to find foods for me, just means I have to pay full price for them. I feed HiLife, Natures Menu, Perfect Fit and Bozita at the moment. I would also try and introduce a better dry food than Whiskas too, I feed James Wellbeloved, which I think is a reasonable price, it does come in kitten varieties, and you might be able to find somewhere that sells the small bags to see what flavour she likes (I have found very few that like the Duck flavour)

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by PinkRhinos4

Whiskers Kitten dry food
I would change to another brand to be honest with you, because the Whiskers in the UK has a lot of animal parts in it

I feed all 3 of mine on HiLife wet food and their dry is from a company called Arden Grange because it's hypoallergenic and doesn't contain wheat gluten, and Jacks dry is obviously the kitten kibbles