Fancy Feast, Friskies, or Meow Mix?

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just got curious... If you were feeding a decent to high quality dry, which one of the below mentioned brands of canned food would you feed? I'm speaking of the cuts in gravy, not the loaf style food. I am aware that there is plenty better stuff out there, but I have realized that these are popular brands among people who shop at Wal-Mart.
Particularly Fancy Feast.

-Fancy Feast
-Friskies
-Meow Mix

Just kind of started to wonder, if you had these choices, what you would choose, based on nutrition and feline favorable aspects.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed royal canin indoor dry and friskies wet(mine prefer teh loaf but out of the choices I would still pick friskies mostly cause with the amount of cats i'm feeding I want to get the most for my money)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]I feed Nutro Natural Choice to Zoey (my only indoor kitty) and have been feeding her numerous stuff. I like the Natural Choice for canned, but I like giving her a variety, so I was just curious. Thank-you for your reply!
[/font]

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't really speak to what is best, but Dusty is ADDICTED to Fancy Feast, and absolutely will not eat any other wet food except trout caught by my husband!

Since I HATE shopping at Walmart, the good news it that it is nearly as cheap at PetSmart, using their club card.

I also buy her dry food there. Fortunately she loves Nutro Max Hairball Formula, and that has kept her healthy this summer during her molt.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meow mix for wet ... It is a decent food... most dont have by products ( meat or chn ) ... many dont have ANY grains ... the down side is they all are fish heavy and they all have a small amount of sodium nitrate /nitrite which is a chemical pres and in many highly allergic

FF has a few by product , wheat and soy free... but they too seem to be fish

Friskies I am ;(

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy the canned Friskies for my two. BUT I don't buy the sliced ones - I tried a few and both of them are not that interested in them, especially Ling. So I only get the more solid canned foods.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
none of the above...mine get Ca. Natural, Innova, Felidae, Chicken Soup, Wellness, and EVO. I don't shop for pet food at Wal Mart, it's gross. Chicken Soup is not that expensive, and much better quality.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Meow Mix pouches, the flavors without wheat gluten, because it's the one food I can be sure Cindy will eat most of the time. That's not their only food though, and I rotate it with Evangers, Natural Balance, Felidae (which they don't like much), and the new flavor of garlic-free Wellness. I'm always on the look out for good quality wet food that Cindy will eat. Swanie is not so much of an issue - very few wet foods he rejects.

I wouldn't feed Friskies, and neither are really interested in the few Fancy Feast flavors I'd be willing to give them.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

Just got curious... If you were feeding a decent to high quality dry, which one of the below mentioned brands of canned food would you feed? I'm speaking of the cuts in gravy, not the loaf style food. I am aware that there is plenty better stuff out there, but I have realized that these are popular brands among people who shop at Wal-Mart.
Particularly Fancy Feast.

-Fancy Feast
-Friskies
-Meow Mix

Just kind of started to wonder, if you had these choices, what you would choose, based on nutrition and feline favorable aspects.
None of the above.

Better brands are:

Merrick
Nutro
Natural Balance
Felidae

and there are others that I don't recall off the top of my head at the moment but if you do a search on this forum you'll find the others that Sharky has recommended.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand that there are better brands out there, and I mentioned that in my original post. My question is, out of what I have listed, what would you choose? I feed the best I can get even remotely locally, and I can't afford to order. The best available is Nutro (dry and canned) and Natural Life (canned). But I like to give her a variety of 3-4 different brands. I have 2 brands so far, with about 5 different flavors, but I wanted one more. Since neither the Nutro or Natural Life come in the gravy style, I decided I'd feed her that. That is why I was asking. I cam kind of leaning towards Meow Mix...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nutros gravy style will be back around months end

I used meow mix when needed

some Iams are also good not gravey by moister than Nutro or natural life

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody! I think I will continue to go with Nutro & Natural Life, start picking up more of the Meow Mix and less of the Fancy Feast, take a look at Iams (which paticular kind(s) do you reccommend Sharky?) and I'll keep an eye out for the new Nutro. Thanks Sharky and everybody else!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the MM best. No by-products of the three. However, if there is a history of UTIs, they are a no-go. Even the non-fish are fishy...

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's only about 3 months old, so no UTI's. And I like Nutro and Natural Life, because they aren't pricey, but there's no by-products or wheat gluten (atleast not in the NL, haven't checked Nutro). I'll be going with those three (NL, Nutro, and MM) and maybe the Iams, if Sharky can refer me to a paticular type.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
chicken entree

beef entree

and some of the oceanfish entree

NOTE they arent Kitten but adult

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My shelter cat LOVES meow mix. She gobbles it down and licks the bowl so clean! As long as she and my sensitive tummied ragdoll are pooping normally, it works for us.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sharky.
I'll write it down and put it somewhere I can remember so I can pick some up when she gets older.