I'm worried about Neko

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday and today, Neko has been making a horrible coughing sound, like he's getting ready to throw up. He does this after running around the house. But now I think he may have caught the flu from Diego when they interacted for the first couple of days before we had Diego never coughed when he had the flu.

Is this something I should be worried about?

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible he could have a respiratory infection....or it could be a hairball.

I would give your vet a call...it can't hurt!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

It's possible he could have a respiratory infection....or it could be a hairball.

I would give your vet a call...it can't hurt!
He's not exactly long haired, could he still get a hairball?
He show's no signs like Diego did, and we caught it just before it became a respiratory infection.

Must either be hairball or he wants to puke

Originally Posted by Bella713

Let us know!
Will keep you updated, might just see how he is tomorrow, it only happened once each day and stopped after about 2mins. It is a little concerning though.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be several things... Im thinking about worms.
Is he strict indoor cat? Or newly dewormed? If not, do deworm him.

A heart weakness isnt impossible. But lets hope it isnt that.

If you have contact with a good vet, contact him.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Short haired cats definitely can get hairballs. My mom's cat rarely actually succeeded in coughing them up, but it wasn't for lack of trying. If the coughing continues though, please do see a vet as it could have a different cause.

cntrygrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i was having the same problem with abbey (3yo). i took her to the vet. $130 later i was told she had "asthma"; she was given a steroid shot and has been fine since then. vet wanted me to come back when she started "coughing" again but so far, no cough. i think she was stressed at the time with the adoption of a new kitty and she was spending alot of time in the basement. now that she's upstairs more in the fresh air and sunshine, she is much happier.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's at the point where he can't even meow anymore (its like a phlegmy weasing sound)
, he's going to the vet tomorrow. The petshop we bought Diego from is going to cover his expenses since this only happened after we let them interact with each other.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

The petshop we bought Diego from is going to cover his expenses since this only happened after we let them interact with each other.
Either you are a extraordinary good negotiator, or the petshop is quite serious despite them selling cats... I wouldnt expect this...

Good you are going to look the vet, especielly as the problems seems to get worse.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Either you are a extraordinary good negotiator, or the petshop is quite serious despite them selling cats... I wouldnt expect this...
I would love to take credit for that, but it's more their culture to keep customers happy,
although not all do go to such lengths. I should have known better in-fact I do know better that buying from and listening to a petshop but I was blinded by
for Diego.
I can't explain it, but you may have read in another post that I had gone off cats for a while. Diego right from the moment I saw him just changed all that.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we took Neko to the vet today, and you will never guess what he has, well you might. He has Bronchitis, I thought this was a human thing, didn't know a cat could get it.

So now we gotta keep him indoors for 6days which means 6 days of endless meowing (he likes to come and go as he pleases), also we have to try and keep him separated from Diego, we were letting them have a little interaction, because Diego was feeling a little lonely. Its impossible to let them play now because Neko could pass it on to Diego.