Skinny and not eating alot

joey28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my poor cat scince he was 6 weeks old, he was thrown from a balcony into my hands. His owners did not want him at all and broke his mothers paw. He was infested with fleas

Back than I had a job, I spent every cent I had on the little guy. My mother was working while my dad was sick. Now my father is extremly ill with his heart and we live off a pention. Its extremly difficult to get extra money. When I was working I got him his first shots than we moved to a different city and I lost my job and so did my mother. Now she has to care for my dad.

My cat has been in the basement scince we got him because he sprays and my parents don't want him upstairs because of it. Although I spend most of my time in teh basement and he sleeps with me at night. My cat was being fed "No Name Cat Food" we than switched his food to "Whiskas cat Food" Scince than he has been eating less and loosing weight, I can feel his rib bones and spine

What could be wrong!? What should I do? He is suffering and who knows when I will have enough money to get him fixed, declawed & tooken to the vet for his problem. The prices are outrageous, we barely get by.

Should I just have him put down?

My poor little guy
He was my responsibilty and I caught him when they threw him off that balcony

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like maybe he just doesn't like the Whiskas. Would it be possible to get some of whatever he used to eat, or try another brand? Whiskas isn't a very good food.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He could have worms, which would cause weight loss. Like momto3cats said, maybe try switching him back to his old food and see if he starts gaining weight again.
Have you tried finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area? They offer spay/neuter at very reasonable prices and most also offer vaccinations. Or perhaps you could find a vet that would let you make payments? My vet is very good about allowing us to make payments. If not for that, I wouldn't have been able to afford some of the emergency care in the past for my animals.
Also, please don't have your cat de-clawed... it is not necessary and in my opinion it is very cruel.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh heck, the poor little sweetie - please dont consider putting him to sleep, theres lots of things that may be the problem and I am sure you'll soon find out what it is

I seriously think he needs a vet to check him over, you may get a reduction in costs due to your financial position
sorry I'm not from your country, but its worth checking these things out. Also some pet shelters may offer help with this sort of treatment, so check those out too.

This is a good time to have him checked over and also to arrange him to be neutered, he wont spray then (or if he continues it wont smell) and of course if he should ever get out of your house he wont be adding the the population of unwanted kittens

Have a look at this TCS link - is about feeding your cat - maybe theres some pointers in there for you

Another serious matter, please, please DO NOT have the poor little guy declawed it certainly isnt necessary for his well-being at all

See these TCS links about declawing and this one about alternatives you mentioned you are short on funds and of course declawing is a unnecessary costly procedure. Sorry to be so strong about this, this site is anti-declawing and I am sure once you have seen all the research and problems it can cause you'll certainly agree thats its a terrible, unnecessary cruel procedure that only benefits the vets pocket.

With a bit of time and effort, checking out things and speaking to your local pet shelters and charities, I am sure you can work through this - you've done so well with him so far, as you say its your responsibility to continue to provide him with the love and care he so needs

keep us posted !

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are going to put him to sleep. PLEASE DONT.

I help run a rescue organization in southwestern Ontario, and I'm sure we can take the little guy if that is your option.
Unfortunately, we cannot afford to help people with their spay/neuters because we simply do not have the funds to do that.
I can give you a list of low-cost spay/neuter clinics if you would like.

But if you ARE wanting to euthanize him, or simply cannot afford to keep him any longer... then just give the rescue (Pets/Friends for Life) a call at 519.631.5757 and we will hopefully be able to take him.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellington-Baseline Animal Hospital (former spay/neuter clinic. Very low cost)
Neuter - $50
Vaccination - $45
317 Wellington Road
London, ON

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you in Ontario?

He is spraying because he is not neutered, if he has already started spraying, neutering now may not help as it is behavioural rather than instinct if he has been doing it for a while. In the mean time make sure you clean those areas well (use Nature's miracle if you can afford it, if not scrub well with bleach)

How old is your cat?

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

If you are going to put him to sleep. PLEASE DONT.

I help run a rescue organization in southwestern Ontario, and I'm sure we can take the little guy if that is your option.
Unfortunately, we cannot afford to help people with their spay/neuters because we simply do not have the funds to do that.
I can give you a list of low-cost spay/neuter clinics if you would like.

But if you ARE wanting to euthanize him, or simply cannot afford to keep him any longer... then just give the rescue (Pets/Friends for Life) a call at 519.631.5757 and we will hopefully be able to take him.
Originally Posted by Leto86

Wellington-Baseline Animal Hospital (former spay/neuter clinic. Very low cost)
Neuter - $50
Vaccination - $45
317 Wellington Road
London, ON
This is very inexpensive for a neuter and shots.

Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Where are you in Ontario?

He is spraying because he is not neutered, if he has already started spraying, neutering now may not help as it is behavioural rather than instinct if he has been doing it for a while. In the mean time make sure you clean those areas well (use Nature's miracle if you can afford it, if not scrub well with bleach)

How old is your cat?
Yes, where are you? If you're near London, then Leto86 has some good ideas. Please don't even consider having him euthanized - there are shelters that will take him if you can't afford to keep him. I know you feel responsible for the little fellow because of the wonderful thing you did rescuing him, but if you truly can't afford his proper care, then the best thing for him would be to give him up. I hope you don't have to do that, but you have to think about what is best for him.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, that poor little guy.
What a wonderful thing you did for him, you saved his life.
I really have nothing to add to what the others have said.

Leto86 has given you some great advice.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not have him put to sleep, I am sure there are many people here that can give you some great ideas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joey28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, I am going to try and save up every cent I have, the lowest cost I found in my city was $124.99 for neautering than the check up which is $49.99. Im not spending any money on anything else.

I have been feeding him Fancy Feast can food I bought every flavor the store had so he has been eating half a can a day...and thats not that much, You guys know how small those cans are. Plus I mixed a few dry kibbles of Whiskas in there.

I need to get him checked out.

Im in Essex County in Ontario.

Thanks for all the help.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just giving this a bump up !

great that you are saving your money - I am sure you can do it

Now we know where you are, some of our Canandian members may know some shelters if they are near your area

Hang in there - your kitty is worth every cent

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good advice from the Ontario ppl. Check out the shelters for their prices for vet fees, neuter, vaccination, worming. I know it will be hard, but if its all too much the best you can do is surrender him to the shelter.
Good luck.