What's happening to our country?!

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First two car bombs in London, now a burning car has been driven into the terminal building at Glasgow airport.

I'm supposed to be going to the concert for Diana tomorrow but I'm really nervous about going back to London. I know we should carry on as usual but this is really scarey

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know... scary isn't it?

Having spent most of yesterday trying to ignore what was happening a few streets away from my office, brought back horrible memories of two years ago being in London and travelling.

I really hope this thing at Glasgow airport is not related.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG you just scared the living daylights out of me - I thought you were going to say the terminal at Heathrow airport. My DH is flying back from London today (he should be on the plane by now), and was just in Glasgow a week ago.

I'll be so relieved to have him home.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jessy

First two car bombs in London, now a burning car has been driven into the terminal building at Glasgow airport.

I'm supposed to be going to the concert for Diana tomorrow but I'm really nervous about going back to London. I know we should carry on as usual but this is really scarey
Nothing worse than the IRA did to us, and we didn't let them close us down.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for all of you in the UK... especially in Glasgow, such a wonderful place, I love it there. I love all of Scotland, Ireland, and what I've seen of England, too. Your beautiful isles do not deserve such violence... but they've surely seen more than their share over the years.

The concert for Diana worries me, too... it seems like such a perfect opportunity for terrorists. But then, would they tip their hand by doing these carbombings in advance? You'd think not. But there could be multiple groups, working separately, I guess.

I know I'm not alone in saying a few prayers that the concert is not a target, and everyone there will be safe.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very frightening especially for people who are required to travel on a regular basis for business. I want to visit family next year in Germany and the thought of flying along with terrorists is scary. The world will never be what it once was.
Stay safe and I hope that it will improve for you over the pond. If we do not continue to live as normal as we can, they will win.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

Nothing worse than the IRA did to us, and we didn't let them close us down.
I refuse to let terrorists run my life. I live in Manchester which, as any UK members will know, was bombed 11 years ago. I was in the city centre at the time (no-one was killed. I got a few cuts from broken glass) but there's no way any of us living here were going to let those
dictate how we live our lives. We picked ourselves up and re-built the city better than ever. Sensible precautions yes, but I refuse to live my life in fear. Do that and they win.

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But did any of you see the speach that Gordan Brown made?

Well he looked a joke to me ... His tie was not straight his suit didn't fit him properly and he shirt looked un ironed...

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PinkRhinos4

But did any of you see the speach that Gordan Brown made?

Well he looked a joke to me ... His tie was not straight his suit didn't fit him properly and he shirt looked un ironed...
What does it matter what he looks like, he is Prime Minister not a beauty show contestant. We have had enough charm and smarm with the last one and look where that got us.

ashleigh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well they spoilt my weekend, I was supposed to be in London visitng family but it just freaked me out so much I was scared to travel and use the underground..I know we shouldn't let them win but fear overtook me just as it did when the IRA were attacking us so I chose not to risk it.

My daughter was in London, waiting at the station for her boyfriend on Friday, she said there were police swarming Kings cross station and shutting the underground there, she was scared so I told her to get the hell out of there, then when they met up and were on a train heading out of The west end her phone went dead, luckily they just went through a tunnel and she lost connection, but for a few minutes my heart i'm sure stopped beating, she's due back today and i'm panicking all over again!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What does it matter what he looks like, he is Prime Minister not a beauty show contestant. We have had enough charm and smarm with the last one and look where that got us.
when politics actually becomes about politics and not about media image, I think most countries will run a lot better. They are there to make laws not look pretty.

As for the main topic of conversation, it isn't just one country, it is everywhere. Britain, London especially has always had bomb threats. When I worked at Parliament we would get warnings that there was a 'problem' in the area frequently. I just think since 9/11 and 7/7 the media plays every single one of them up more.

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hes our Prime Minister he is meant to make an impression not look like he just come in from a night at the pub..... It just looks like they've found someone off the street...

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

when politics actually becomes about politics and not about media image, I think most countries will run a lot better. They are there to make laws not look pretty.

As for the main topic of conversation, it isn't just one country, it is everywhere. Britain, London especially has always had bomb threats. When I worked at Parliament we would get warnings that there was a 'problem' in the area frequently. I just think since 9/11 and 7/7 the media plays every single one of them up more.
Theres a difference between looking pretty and smart

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been keeping an eye on these news reports. I have several relatives that live in the Glasgow area and although I don't know them very they are still part of my family and it certainly scary to hear these stories.

We have been really lucky here in Canada, although there have been a couple of incidents in the making they were stopped before anything happened.

Despite what world leader's are saying about the situation getting better, it certainly doesn't seem that way.

It makes you wonder just what the world is coming too and whether it will ever be a safe place again.