Hi there !

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone !

I'm Francis and I'm from Montreal, Canada. I am very happy to have found this forum as I am sort of an ignorant about cats . I'm a 20 years old medical student , and I've been living in Europe for three years to study (2 years in Germany, 1 year in Luxembourg (now)). I am finally moving back home in August, and very happy to come back near my loved ones !

I started living alone in an apartment last year, so next year will be my third. I always wanted a pet, but Europeans are severe about that. Dogs were out of the question, since dogs need constant caring and attention, which as a medical student, I cannot provide.

I'm excited now because my apartment in Sherbrooke allows for cats. I have a very good budget (I am webmaster on the side and can make good money off of it) so I know I will have the money to give proper health care to my cat, and everything she or he will need. My apartment is also pretty big (4 1/2 app., around 100m2) so even though it wouldn't be the great outdoors, she (I prefer females) would have some room to play in !

I came here because I actually need a little guidance and want to go get a cat with all the knowledge I need to make sure she will be taken care of as good as she deserves. I was looking around for Siamese kittens as I find them to be absolutely beautiful, and I hear they don't lose too much hair. Although I am not allergic to cats, and even though I find Persian cats to be magnificent, they require so much cleaning it would drive me insane !

I despise pet shops because I heard and read they treat animals so horribly, and I don't want to encourage that kind of practice. Therefore I want to buy my cat from the personal ads.

Are there ANY particular breed of cats that absolutely cannot endure apartments, or need extreme care (like a dog does)? The last thing I want is get myself a pet and make the poor thing suffer.

Obviously as soon as I get her if she wasn't already, first thing to do is head to the vet to have her castrated (is the term accurate? I'm French-Canadian, and although I'd like to believe I'm perfectly trilingual, sometimes, technical terms elude me
) and vaccinated, and then buy her lots of toys !

I thank you sincerely for your help in advance and wish you a wonderful week-end (and Canada day in advance as well for fellow Canadian brothers and sisters!)!

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congratulations on your efforts to find a new life friend from the fur family. As far as breeds go, persians require more care with brushing their coats to keep it from matting, but you will have to brush the coats of most cats from time to time also. My cats love to be brushed. I have a siamese mix, and she too is shedding, but not as much as my others.
Many rescue and shelters have already spayed/neutered, and vaccinated their cats prior to adoptiong, and they are all overflowing with cats right now..you might want to look at that option.
I have always had a cat no matter the size of my apartments in the past with no problems. They just need some toys to play with and a human to love them.

Good luck finding your "purr-fect" friend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I considered a shelter but do they have kittens? Because I wanted a kitten at first so it can adapt quickly ! Besides, ktitens are SO CUTE!

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerLord

I considered a shelter but do they have kittens? Because I wanted a kitten at first so it can adapt quickly ! Besides, ktitens are SO CUTE!
Right now most shelters are over-run with kittens...tis kitten season at least here in the states..BTW, any age cat will adapt easily. My last addition Emily in my siggy was 4-5 months old when I got her..and I already had 7 other animals in my home and she did very well..

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I guess it's be worth a trip... I really love Siamese, even if I cannot find one , I mean, all kittens are cute. Besides in personal ads I see people selling Siamese kittens but they go for 150-200$ (CAD), but at least they've been to the vet !

Are there any toys aside a Cat tree that are popular and loved by kittens/cats?

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!
!........

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are rescue groups, Siamese Rescue (google it) is one, which may have a simese kitten for you. As was said, shelters are over-run with kittens at this time of year. Kittens can be very energetic and destructive as they are babies who are learning behaviors. Sometimes 2 will wear each other out and not tear up your place as much. Remember cats use vertical space as much as horizontal space, so if you have something they can climb, they'll be delighted.

My cats like to follow things pulled on a string -- one of the fishing pole type toys, for example. They also like soft toys stuffed with catnip, but some kittens don't notice catnip until they are 5 or 6 months old. My cats also like to bat at small mousies or purr balls.

Have fun and enjoy your kitty when she comes.

Welcome from Paisley, Josie, Arthur, Peaches and me.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My apologies for thanking you so late, my oncology rotation started tuesday and I have been extremely busy that my kittens are the last thing on my mind right now. I'm still struggling trying to deal with the emotional baggage that goes with the learning process of this job...

Thank you for your kind words, I'll make sure to post many pictures of my two kittens once I get them !

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS!
It's great that you've joined us!

If you have any questions about the site, please feel free to click on my username and send me a private message. I'll be happy to help.