Cat is being neglected

blueyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been dealing with a situation for awhile now and am getting to the boiling point. Here's the deal. I am acquainted with a family that are pretty decent people but out to lunch when it comes to their cat. They have birds, hamsters, a dog and about a 40 pheasant breeding project. They live in the country and their cat is ALWAYS outside. I've seen it in the house before and I know they have a litter in the basement and assuming they have cat food but for the most part the cat is outside and there is no food for him out there. I have a shop on their property so I'm there alot and quite often late into the night. The cat meows all the time and comes into my shop to get attention. He's got a spot that is cushioned that he likes to sleep and I've started feeding him cat food and providing water for him. He really likes being picked up and although he is shy he will come over to be cuddled and never fights when I pick him up and hold him. I feel really bad, the owners don't care about him at all and the wife think he is 'stupid' for catching chipmunks and birds...HELLO...its a CAT!!! duh! The worst part about this is that he is outside in the winter as well. I've mentioned it to them on occasion and they'll bring him in and act all concerned as if they didn't know he was out, but I'm not there all the time to do this and I don't think they make an effort otherwise. His poor little ears are partly missing due to frost bite. He is used to being outside and likes being outside, but come on, its for his own health and safety that he should be kept inside during intense weather. I am seriously thinking about taking this cat off their hands but I can't keep him here. He is a beatiful black fluffly yellow eyed cat and I want to find an alternative home for him where he is treated with the love he deserves. Is there any advice as to where I can find some interest in what I almost want to call a stray? I am certain if I asked for him they would give him to me with relief to be rid of him.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate seeing cats outside, but honestly, he does not sound neglected.
Cat food should never be kept outside if possible, it attracts all kinds of unwanted wildlife and vermin.
I would be concerned about him being out in the winter months if no shelter at all is being provided.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I keep the cat food in my shop at all times, and the door is open when I'm at the shop so he can come in and nibble if he wants.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he isn't being provided shelter during bad weather I think you are right, they aren't taking proper care of him.

If you're sure they would give him to you if you asked, then what's stopping you? To make it easier you could tell them you have become very attached to him and want him for your own. They don't have to know if you rehome hime. But why not keep him yourself?

Goo luck!

blueyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't bring him home. I've brought many needy animals home in the past and my husband is ready to kill me
but that is just the tip of the iceburg, I also have two sphynx cats with a third on the way and don't want to introduce an outdoor cat into the home. I don't know how he would be with my other animals, I also have a dog, two doves a snake and a few tarantulas. I think it would be in our and his best interest to just make one switch for him. I would like to find a home for him first and then just make the transfer. I guess I can just start asking around, I was hoping to find a cat rescue in the Guelph, Kitchener area. At least it is not a season of treacherous weather and there is no big rush to get him out of there. I'll just keep giving him special attention in the meanttime and hopefully find a better home for him before the winter arrives.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Upper Credit Humane Society (in Erin) is an awesome organization. They are a no-kill and I've just volunteered there. I took a stray that was coming around our property and was in poor physical condition (matted so badly he couldn't stand straight and very thin) to them and they have his photo up on their website now for adoption. They will first request that you take the cat to their vet in Erin where it will be treated, vaccinated, neutered if required and kept for a week to 10 days before being moved to the shelter. Their cats don't live in cages (only the freshly neutered and new cats are confined to a cage in the same room with the others). There are several cat rooms and the cats have free range with lots of toys, beds, litter boxes and they interact very well. The caged cats have the door opened after a few days so they have a choice of coming out and mixing or staying safe in their cage until they are comfortable about coming out. I was very impressed with them and their staff.

Check out their website at www.uppercredit.com

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kuato

I can't bring him home. I've brought many needy animals home in the past and my husband is ready to kill me
but that is just the tip of the iceburg, I also have two sphynx cats with a third on the way and don't want to introduce an outdoor cat into the home. I don't know how he would be with my other animals, I also have a dog, two doves a snake and a few tarantulas. I think it would be in our and his best interest to just make one switch for him. I would like to find a home for him first and then just make the transfer. I guess I can just start asking around, I was hoping to find a cat rescue in the Guelph, Kitchener area. At least it is not a season of treacherous weather and there is no big rush to get him out of there. I'll just keep giving him special attention in the meanttime and hopefully find a better home for him before the winter arrives.
It sounds like you have choosen a sensible approach.

Good luck!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be completely honest here, there are cats being treated a lot worse than this one, and if they rent you the property, you could be setting yourself up for a lot of heartache by taking their cat to a shelter or adopting him out without their 'full' consent (as in they change their minds after it is done). If they act concerned when you tell them he is outside, I can't see them giving you permission to rehome him. But if they are relieved that you want to take him off their hands, that is great.

There are a lot of shelters, but they are supposed to *try* and find out if the cats have homes (and if he seems fed etc they will usually try, or may charge a surrender fee assuming he is yours and you do not want him anymore).

In the mean time is it possible for you to install a catdoor into your shop there so he can get some shelter etc?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

To be completely honest here, there are cats being treated a lot worse than this one, and if they rent you the property, you could be setting yourself up for a lot of heartache by taking their cat to a shelter or adopting him out without their 'full' consent (as in they change their minds after it is done). If they act concerned when you tell them he is outside, I can't see them giving you permission to rehome him. But if they are relieved that you want to take him off their hands, that is great.

There are a lot of shelters, but they are supposed to *try* and find out if the cats have homes (and if he seems fed etc they will usually try, or may charge a surrender fee assuming he is yours and you do not want him anymore).

In the mean time is it possible for you to install a catdoor into your shop there so he can get some shelter etc?
I don't believe the OP has suggested either stealing the cat or taking him to a shelter but rather rehoming him after asking his owners permission to take him.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I don't believe the OP has suggested either stealing the cat or taking him to a shelter but rather rehoming him after asking his owners permission to take him.
I realise that, and my comment was about changing their minds later, not her actual action. You would be surprised how many people give up their cats and blame someone later for it because their child misses the cat that they never paid attention to when they had it etc.

My other point is after she brings up rehoming him, she is (I am assuming from the post) renting on their property, if they disagree with her opinion on the cat being neglected, it could lead to them being not so nice to her in the future.

In some places it is the 'norm' to have outdoor cats and they may not see it as neglect. Growing up in the UK, people I knew seen it as cruel not to let their cats out rather than safer to keep them inside.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are a wonderful person, and I know this cat loves you. I don't have any answers, but I surely wish you luck.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've taken care of a few strays; I can't bring them all inside in bad weather, as I have 5 indoor only cats who would not appreciate it. I've built a shelter for them, enclosed on all sides, a few inches off the ground, with a flap on the front to keep the weather out. I fill it with old blankets and straw, and the strays usually spend the night there when the weather's bad.
A shelter obviously doesn't need to be very large, just big enough to keep a kitty out of the cold.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If you go to your shop every day, I would just let the cat live there. You can always put out enough food for him. And then he would kinda be like yours then.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

If you go to your shop every day, I would just let the cat live there. You can always put out enough food for him. And then he would kinda be like yours then.
That sounds like a great idea to me. Thank you for loving this kitty and taking care of him. You are his angel.

blueyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you all for the kind words and advice. I like the idea of putting a flap in the door for the cat, but wouldn't that also allow other night creatures in? This house is in the country. I think I may check out the other options too.
Yosemite, thank you for the link

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

thank you all for the kind words and advice. I like the idea of putting a flap in the door for the cat, but wouldn't that also allow other night creatures in? This house is in the country. I think I may check out the other options too.
Yosemite, thank you for the link
You can get cat flaps that only open to cats wearing a corresponding "key" on their collars. The collar should be the breakaway type for the cat's safety outdoors.
There are ones with infrared keys, which are a bit pricey, http://www.pet-doors.com/cat_infrared_cat.htm
and others with cheaper magnetic keys: http://www.pet-doors.com/cat_magnetic_cat.htm