Stupid coffee shop staff!!! (Rant 2 for the day...)

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went with a couple of girlfriends for dinner, and we went to a coffee shop afterwards, and I ordered a soy milk hot chocolate.

It came and was delicious and I commented on how smooth and not too sweet it was. Then I realised. It was made with full cream milk, not soy milk. I can't believe I was so stupid not to notice it straight away - I was having a dessert as well, so maybe the sweetness of the dessert hid the milky taste a bit?

I'm lactose intolerant and the amount I drank is going to be enough to make me feel very ill tonight/tomorrow morning. I've been much more sensitive to lactose since I've been pregnant, and even a slice of cheesy pizza is enough to make me ill.

I told them that they really need to be a LOT more careful, and had to explain what the full cream milk was going to do to me and why I specifically asked for soy milk.

GRRR!!!!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ouch! I feel your pain! I am lactose intolerant as well so I know full well how it feels!

I will never understand why some servers give people the wrong stuff - I always ask for black coffee wherever I go, and they almost always give me white coffee. I can never figure out how they figure that black coffee has milk in it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know your pain ... I am ALLERGIC to many Hidden ingrediant s and well imagine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Over here in the US they like to put whipped cream on EVERYTHING. So often I ask for a soy hot chocolate, and it comes with whipped cream on it and I have to explain to them that I'm lactose intolerant which is why I want a SOY drink, and therefore NO CREAM!!! If they don't do it automatically, they generally at least ask. Even when I try to beat them and ask for a soy non-dairy drink they will still say "would you like whipped cream with that". NO!!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Over here in the US they like to put whipped cream on EVERYTHING.
ouch , i hope the milk does not make you to sick.
but i do agree i cant tell you how many times i said no whipped cream,,
and it still shows up with whipped cream on top
not casue i cant stand it, just cause i dont like it

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
many of the people who have had the weight loss surgery i did are not only lactose intolerant [which i am, now] but also unable to tolerate sugar. one of them told about ordering a soy latte with SF syrup in a starbucks - instead got a milk latte with sugar syrup. she got violently ill right there in the store. i'll bet that server never makes that mistake again!
i ordered a salad in chilis/bennigans/fridays - one of those yuppie restaurants - once, that normally was served with fajita chicken. i'm allergic to chicken, & asked if i could have it with beef instead - they said sure. it came - with chicken. i told the server that they would have to start all over, with a fresh salad - they couldn't just scrape off the chicken & replace it with beef. she said ok, she'd tell them. when my new salad arrived, i ate about 1/2 of it, before finding a piece of.... you guessed it, chicken.
the manager ended up comping my meal, & my mom had to make the dressing that thanksgiving with beef broth instead of chicken broth. see, i can eat chicken, but only occasionally, & i was saving it for thanksgiving!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear! I feel for you! *hugs*

Having milk when you are lactose intolerant is bad enough, but cream! OMG! That's even worse. Luckily you are only lactose intolerant and not completely allergic to dairy. A sick, crampy stomach and diarrhea is far better than the alternative.

Perhaps you should speak to the manager and tell him/her what happened. Sounds like they need to do some retraining and encourage their staff to actually listen to the customer.

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh.. I hope you feel better.
(((hugs)))

I can sympathize, though.. I hate the idiocy of [HOLY CRAP! A paw just came out of the keyboard and is attacking my hands!!!] some people in restaurants/etc. When you specify an order... barring a complete brain fart... it should come out as you specified it.

Sarah, you've at least got to have a little bit of a laugh about when they STILL ask if you want whipped cream in it.. ROFL! One of those times when I would give them my patented (aka: learned from the cats) "Are You Really That Stupid?" stare and wait until they realize what just came out of their mouth..

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not lactose intollerant but whole make messes me up. I always order my coffee beverages with skim milk. I used to drink Starbucks every day. I confirm that my cofee beverage has skim milk when I pick it up. I also make sure to say no whip. I get annoyed too when mistakes are made because people can not listen to customers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Did you get sick Sarah? I hope you feel ok...this is just what you needed on top of being pregnant
I thankfully got through the night relatively pain free. I happened to have some lacteze tablet on me last night (I don't usually carry them), so took one once I'd realised.

I've had some stomach cramps and really bad gas, the cats don't want to come near the room, but thankfully DH is still away

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can sympathize. I am not lactose intolerant but I have type 1 diabetes. I have ordered diet soft drinks in restaurants and they have brought me non-diet before saying they are diet. I don't know if it is deliberate or just laziness on their part, however, if I end up drinking enough before I figure out that taste difference is because of the sugar/fructose sweetner, my blood sugars sky rocket and I need to adjust my insulin doses to compensate. If people aren't aware of the medical reasons for certain food requests they just don't seem to understand that these can be seriously dangerous mistakes. I'm glad that you didn't have too much serious problems last night.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I thankfully got through the night relatively pain free. I happened to have some lacteze tablet on me last night (I don't usually carry them), so took one once I'd realised.

I've had some stomach cramps and really bad gas, the cats don't want to come near the room, but thankfully DH is still away
That's good to hear

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely file a complaint with the management. This could have proved to have been very serious indeed. What if you had had a severe food allergy and they had been so careless. There are plenty of people out there where a mistake like that could make them very sick indeed or even cause their death.
Service people need to be very careful especially now a days and the need to realize just how serious this could have been.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A better choice is take care of this when you order. A simple "I have problems with dairy (or whatever), so it's important for my health that it be correct. I appreciate your helping me with this" Use a nice tone of voice when you say it. It's amazing how people will help you if you are nice.

Some of my students with food allergies have printed up cards that state they have a serious food allergy to whatever and need to be sure their food is prepared without it. They give it to the server when they order..

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have shellfih allergies that could kill me if I had enough shellfish. It is like poison to me. I went to a restaurant in KC, and ordered the cream of potato soup. The brought me a cream soup, and I ate a few bites before realizing it was clam chowder. I asked him why he brough me the clam chowder, he said it was because they were out of potato soup, and they just were not that different, what's the big deal. I could have slapped him right where he stood. I complained to the manager and he did not seem to concerned about it. He offered us free desserts next time we came in.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're ok. The last time Starbucks screwed up and gave me milk instead of soy milk I thought I was going to die. Well, I wanted to. It was BAD. I usually just get hot or iced tea there now. Just about everything has to be made with milk. I can't get most of the frappaccinos since they always tell me they can't use soy milk.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's horrible
i've had stuff like that happen on several occassions.
i'm lactose intolerant as well so i can definitely sympathize

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's ridiculous. Customer service these days is rubbish..

They should realise that when someone ask for soy instead of full cream milk that they must be lactose intolerant. Also with them putting the full cream milk into the hot chocolate when you said blatantly you wanted soya it could of resulted in you or someone else seriously ill.