Vomiting...Doesn't Appear to be a Hairball...

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi g uys, I had a question...my cat Napoleon Dynamite is a seemingly healthy kitty but tonight he vomited nearly ALL of his dinner from tonight (still visible, chunks). It is very rare he does that, but he seems fine now, ready to play. But here's the kicker - when I was trying to clean it up, he was trying to EAT it!

I know dogs can sometimes eat their vomit because they smell the protein in it...can that also happen to cats? Keep in mind, I can't think of anytime save like one hairball that Napoleon has ever barfed like this.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we always like to ask you to keep an eye on him in case it's a continuing thing, but I have to say that it sounds to me like he ate too fast & then went into reverse? Did he gobble it up really fast the first time?

I've never seen a cat eat their own vomit, but you never know...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Well, we always like to ask you to keep an eye on him in case it's a continuing thing, but I have to say that it sounds to me like he ate too fast & then went into reverse? Did he gobble it up really fast the first time?

I've never seen a cat eat their own vomit, but you never know...
Napoleon was a rescue cat, and it took him a LOOONG time to realize that I would be feeding him regularly...but recently, he's been very antsy (I've been getting up earlier for the gym, and he gets scared that I won't come home
), and I just feel like he did eat too fast. he's even nibbling a little bit.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blue_monday_88

Napoleon was a rescue cat, and it took him a LOOONG time to realize that I would be feeding him regularly...but recently, he's been very antsy (I've been getting up earlier for the gym, and he gets scared that I won't come home
), and I just feel like he did eat too fast. he's even nibbling a little bit.
Longhair or shorthair? (usually shorthairs don't have hairballs - or less usually, anyway!) Just keep an eye on him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Longhair or shorthair? (usually shorthairs don't have hairballs - or less usually, anyway!) Just keep an eye on him.
He's like a medium hair. He never gets them. Of course, I just jinxed myself! But my other one, Cassie...she is a long hair and if she gets one once a year, that's a lot.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
keep an eye .... if it continues get to the vet