Do You Wear Shoes At Home?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We take our shoes off the minute we come into the house. The rule is: Shoes Off, Wash Hands. (The wash hands part is to help keep me healthy, especially when our daughter is coming home from germy school and/or her friends come over.) The shoes off part is to keep the cleaning of floors and carpets down to a minimum.

We don't ask guests to take their shoes off, though. If they do, great, but we don't say anything.

I think this varies from place to place, though. Do you wear shoes at home?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I don't.I take them off as soon as I get in the door.
I do ask that others take thiers off also.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heck no!
I hate shoes and I've got the flattened out feet and dry, cracked heels to prove it

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Generally no, just because I now have two kitties who haven't learned that being underfoot means they get stepped on.
So I would rather step on them in bare or socked feet where I can feel them if/when I step on them so I don't put my full weight down.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer folks to keep their shoes on in our house. The oils/sweat from their feet are harder on the carpets and less sanitary than shoes (or so I've heard). I also prefer to keep my shoes on at other people's home but in the winter I bring slippers with me to change into at the door.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its not in a rule to take our shoes off when we enter the house, but I do when I get into my room. I HATE SHOES lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I prefer folks to keep their shoes on in our house. The oils/sweat from their feet are harder on the carpets and less sanitary than shoes (or so I've heard)...
Maybe it depends on where you walk and how much you walk. We dodge way too much dog poop on the sidewalks around here, and have horse and carriage buggies on the streets all summer. (They have little trays behind them but there are always accidents.)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I walk around with bare feet. I also expect my company to take their shoes off when they come into my home too. I don't want all those germs from the hallway and outside on my floors. People spit on the sidewalks, dogs pee and poo on them.... yuck.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a rule here, but my shoes come off as soon as I hit the inside. Can't wait to get them off!
Then it's flip flops, or slippers if the weather is cold. Hubby sheds his work boots instantly, then it's barefoot for him.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i usually wear some type of footwear, but that's cause i have hard floors & i don't clean them as often as i should
so they're dirty. but usually some type of slipper at home. in the winter, the floors are cold, too.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a barefoot kind of a gal. In winter I wear slippers around the house. We have a shoe rack right by the front door, so people usually take their shoes off, but we don't mind if they don't - there's 2 doormats, one outside and one inside the door, so as long as they wipe their shoes, it's fine.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mostly barefoot. But I love my croc sandals and sometimes wear the around the house

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We almost always have our shoes off. I grew up that way - the Japanese/Hawaii side of my family was the norm, with no shoes in the house. My DH hates wearing shoes, so it works out. We don't require people to remove their shoes though if they visit us.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always been into the Japanese culture, so even when I was back home in NZ I had a shoe free apartment, no-one was allowed to wear shoes inside, not even the property manager. No shoes indoors is also the Maori custom as well.

In Japan in every single dwelling there is a thing called a Genkan, kinda like a porch as such. Its usually a tiled area where you remove your shoes then climb up 1 step. So even though you are inside the door, you are still considered to be outside until you step up.

Ours has a tiny step where you can see the shoes. On the left is a shoe cupboard everyone has these.
Some traditional restaurants also require you remove your shoes.

I hope you found this to be educational.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I do ask that others take thiers off also.
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

...I also expect my company to take their shoes off when they come into my home too...
Originally Posted by DIEGO

I've always been into the Japanese culture, so even when I was back home in NZ I had a shoe free apartment, no-one was allowed to wear shoes inside...
For those of you who ask your guests to take their shoes off, do you give them socks or slippers if they were wearing sandals? Do you wonder about catching something like Athete's Foot or Plantar Warts?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Do you wonder about catching something like Athete's Foot or Plantar Warts?
Nope. Never given it a thought. Aren't you most likely to catch that from showers and standing around in wet places?

I never get it and always take my shoes off, so I figure my comfort levels are more important than getting something I've never had in 26 years...

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around here basically everyone takes their shoes off when they enter someone's house. The only time I wear them in the house is if I was outside and had to come inside to get something. I don't want people tracking dirt all over the floors.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Around here basically everyone takes their shoes off when they enter someone's house.
I don't require guests do anything. I want them to be comfortable, if that means with or without shoes - that is fine. I have never really noticed it until now and don't know how many choose to keep them on vs. take them off. That is interesting. I will have to make a mental note to take notice.
My family and my husband's family is the same, so that probably had something to do with the casual attitude as well.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People I don't know very well or people who are uncomfy about ther feet can keep them on. I take my shoes off first thing. I HATE shoes
. My parents always wore their shoes but then we had a cleaning lady so they didn't worry too much about shoe-dirt

If I could live my life with no shoes ever I would be so happy. As is, I wear sandals unless it's below 45 degrees.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear shoes inside, once I've finished going in and out for the day I'll take them off.