still having a flea problem and using advantage r/o

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*edit* I meant to type flea problem in the title..oops! *edit*

I've been using advantage for both of my cats every month..by day 25 of the treatment my cats had worms & fleas..I treated them again with advantage and I have been using a flea comb and getting the fleas out...maybe a dozen or so on each cat..not a huge amount but still.

Should I switch the brand of my flea medicine next month? Do they get immuned to one brand if you use it all the time?

Any tips? I've been sweeping the house every day and washing everything. I think I am beating them.

G

ghostuser

Our dogs were on Frontline for years and years without a problem, then suddenly last year it didn't work AT ALL. We switched to Advantage and there were dead fleas everywhere within hours. So it does seem like sometimes you just need to change brands. I'd certainly give it a try when they're due for their next dose.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They should be fine on the same medication. You might want to pick up some diatomaceous earth (human/food grade) and sprinkle that in your carpets, sweep it in well and that will help kill any flea eggs as well as any adults hiding out there. I got some DE this year for the first time and I love it. I put it around where I had ants - presto - no more ants. The beauty of it is that it is totally safe for the kitties. I got mine at a garden centre and I do believe most of them carry it. Mine was a brand called Chemfree (which is Canadian I believe) but I'm sure you should be able to find some in your area. Just phone around.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check the expiry date on your Advantage.

And did you get it from your vet?
Oftentimes those bargains on flea meds such as Frontline and Advantage are because they are counterfeit products.

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is no expiration date on topical flea meds in the US. Advantage should work for a month, where did you get your supply? Did you get it at the vet or online?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

They should be fine on the same medication. You might want to pick up some diatomaceous earth (human/food grade) and sprinkle that in your carpets, sweep it in well and that will help kill any flea eggs as well as any adults hiding out there. I got some DE this year for the first time and I love it. I put it around where I had ants - presto - no more ants. The beauty of it is that it is totally safe for the kitties. I got mine at a garden centre and I do believe most of them carry it. My was a brand called Chemfree (which is Canadian I believe) but I'm sure you should be able to find some in your area. Just phone around.
I totally agree with using DE. I had a terrible flea infestation one year. Even with Advantage and constant vacuuming, I would walk across my bedroom floor and find a few dozen fleas on my legs. I put the DE down and they were gone in a week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help. I will check into the DE.

I get the advantage from my vet...I wonder if he carrys frontline if not I'll check at another vet.

Also I wonder if maybe the advantage is old or something...he may not sell that much around this area.

Thanks

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing you can try is Capstar, it's a little pill that you get from your vet. The fleas all literally start dropping off of the animal within a few minutes. It only lasts for 24 hours, but there won't be a single flea on the pet when it's done. We had a bad flea problem last year, and just putting the topical stuff on wasn't working... I talked to the vet about it, and I gave the Capstar and then put the Frontline/Advantage on and didn't see another flea.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you sweep, are you tossing the bag (or emptying a bagless) right away? Fleas can escape quickly.
I second the Capstar. We have used it on our dogs a few times with excellent results.

And this may not be popular here, but I have used the whole house flea bombs before. It was a pain to have to remove all of the pets & kids(thanks heavens for a large SUV) for time needed to have the house sealed up and then the air out time. And it has to be repeated in 3 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a new vacuum this week that is bagless so I've been sweeping every day and dumping the canister and cleaning it out. I told my husband I needed one without bags to help beat the fleas!

Thanks for letting me know about Capstar...I'll remember that if this happens again.

Now when I do use the flea comb on them I'm not finding more then one or two fleas and I think they are almost dead...I suppose because of the advantage so I think I'm beating it. I'll have to see if I can find some DE today to sprinkle in the carpets and sweep.

Thanks for all the tips! I never knew about Capstar...this may come in handy in the future.