Do you think he understands me?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few weeks ago, right after I started giving Dr. Claw his bathes I also started to tell him, "You are loved and wanted."

Could this have also contributed to the behavior change?

Sometimes I think they understand me, and sometimes I don't.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He may not understand the words, but he very possibly can pick up the tone in your voice, and can pick up that you're saying it directly to him with purpose rather then just "good kitty" "dinner time" etc.

I reckon he understands the sentiment behind it, and the fact that he's feeling better (less itchy), he understands you REALLY mean it.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure he understands you. I often find myself saying to one or another of mine, "I know you know you are loved -- have you any idea how much you are loved?" and without fail, that kitty leans into whatever attention she is getting at the moment. You can't tell me that doesn't translate to "Yeah, Mum, I know, me too."

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I think they always understand us, they just choose to ignore us.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think he definitely understands and appreciates that he's in a waaay better place now, and is enjoying his new life. He's responding to the affection he was never shown before, and he loves you.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

A few weeks ago, right after I started giving Dr. Claw his bathes I also started to tell him, "You are loved and wanted."

Could this have also contributed to the behavior change?

I actually think cats understand us all the time, they just like to flaunt their independence.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes he does understand you... The ?? I pose is why are they the "lesser" animals when they are multi species in lingustics and I barely understand a word of cat or dog??

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think they understand more then we think.
Maybe not the words. But i think are actions, and such.

i just know, that they way, animals look at me soemtimes, they know way more then we can give them credit for.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He understands.

The other morning a friend (who is a new cat owner) came over for tea. She asked about hairballs, and I told her what I give Lily for them. She said, "Flower (her cat) doesn't have to clean such long hair like Lily," and Lily plopped down and started grooming her fur.

Then I told her how Lily has been using the carpet in front of the basement door as a scratching post and, you got it, Lily went straight to that door and started scratching.

We thanked Lily for the demonstrations.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definately think they understand us - Whether it be that they actually understand the words, or the sound of our voice, or a vibe that we send to them

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh they know and can fully understand every word you say. I know this from living with KarmaMonkey.

When I am giving her love and she starts to get over stimulated, leading to biteing and scratching, I just start telling her I love her and that no matter what she is always going to be loved. As soon as I start saying it, she becomes all gental and loving. I get kissed and kitty smiles.

So yea they know and understand.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he understands- not so much by the words themselves but by the tone of voice and repeated phrases... When Radar is being a pest I tell him 'mousey' and if he knows where his mouse is he knows that I will play fetch if he brings it to me

estelle58

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

He may not understand the words, but he very possibly can pick up the tone in your voice, and can pick up that you're saying it directly to him with purpose rather then just "good kitty" "dinner time" etc.

I reckon he understands the sentiment behind it, and the fact that he's feeling better (less itchy), he understands you REALLY mean it.
I agree with Sarah...