Adopting a kitten

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right form for my question, so if not please move it where it's appropriate. Thanks.

OK, this post is kinda long. My apologies.

My boyfriend and I are thinking about adopting a kitten to keep company my older cat Luna ,she's almost 4 1/2. (I want a kitten because i've heard they adjust better to other cats and also that Luna would still feel like the alpha cat). I won't adopt one from a pet store because it's too expensive and I've heard that the kittens are sometimes too young or sick. I am looking at the shelter in my area, but they have very few kittens (usually they're black too, which is wierd) and they are about 1/3 the price of the pet store ones. But they do come neutered and w/ all their shots plus a free vet visit.

The other thing I'm considering is Craig's list. There is a much wider variety of kittens, the price ranges from free to around $80. (The ones that are $80 are from a supposedly legit shelter friend foster home thing and they're fixed w/shots). However, I have heard that there are a lot of ppl there who are um...sleezy. Trying to make a profit on kittens (and I don't want to support those people), or the kittens are too young, sick, have behavior problems etc.

So my question is, how do i judge if a kitten is healthy and all from Craig's List? What questions should I ask? what should I do if i want to see the kitten? what should I look for in the environment and on the kitten etc? Any advice would be good.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO those on Craig's list are not much better. MOST of them are being adopted out under 3 months old - the ideal time is to wait till kittens are a minimum of 10-12 weeks old. They need critical time to be with mom/siblings to learn important social/behavioral skills - not just to be eating solid food and using the pan.

If you search for the older kittens - 4-5 months old, you will have a better kitten.

As far as what to look for - ask how much socialization the kitten has had - people, kids, dogs, other cats, etc. You want a kitten that looks and acts healthy - running around, playing, bright, alert. Shiny coat, clean ears/eyes, no signs of fleas, etc.

Go with your gut feeling when you contact the person or see the kitten where it is.

I recommend a young male kitten (and have him neutered rightaway before he's 4 months old if possible). Your older cat being female will accept a male kitten easier then another female.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all animals listed on Craigslist are bad... I put my kittens on there. Of course, my kittens do not leave here until 10-12 weeks old (depending on how reliably they're using the litter box, etc.). And I also require an adoption application, which I make clear in my ad. But I do see a lot of ads that aren't great, especially in my area. I read one the other day... "These kittens are 4 weeks old and ready to go NOW! If not adopted soon, they will go to the pound."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

Not all animals listed on Craigslist are bad... I put my kittens on there. Of course, my kittens do not leave here until 10-12 weeks old (depending on how reliably they're using the litter box, etc.). And I also require an adoption application, which I make clear in my ad. But I do see a lot of ads that aren't great, especially in my area. I read one the other day... "These kittens are 4 weeks old and ready to go NOW! If not adopted soon, they will go to the pound."
Hmm..I've heard that older kittens are better, but most ads are between 6 to 10 weeks. And very few are 10 weeks or older. I hardly ever sEven the humane society adopts kittens out at 2 months....is there anyway I can help socialize a younger kitten. Also, what's an adoption application?

p.s. you have very cute kitties!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miao_kitty

Also, what's an adoption application?
It's a form that any potential adopters fill out, mine is around 50 questions or so. Basic info, like name, address, phone, etc. I also require information on current pets, children in the home, etc... if they've ever owned a cat before, do they understand the cost of caring for a cat, do they plan on de-clawing... stuff like that.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

It's a form that any potential adopters fill out, mine is around 50 questions or so. Basic info, like name, address, phone, etc. I also require information on current pets, children in the home, etc... if they've ever owned a cat before, do they understand the cost of caring for a cat, do they plan on de-clawing... stuff like that.
Oh ok. I haven't found too many people who require that but i did find this: http://denver.craigslist.org/pet/362572279.html Is that similar to what you're talking about? Anyways, this is a very educational experience for me.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shelters are full of black cats & kitens because no one wants a black kitty.

Many shelters also have kittens that have grown up in the cages, often 4-8 months, still a kitten. I would just be patient...wait & see when the right one comes around. You will know.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that similar to what you're talking about? Anyways, this is a very educational experience for me.
Yes, that's very similar. The only difference is that mine is in a Word document, which I attach to the email... and mine has a LOT more questions, LOL.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

wierd...all of my friends do. but they are into Anime and many Anime kitties are black LOL

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Many shelters also have kittens that have grown up in the cages, often 4-8 months, still a kitten. I would just be patient...wait & see when the right one comes around. You will know.
you might want to see about a young cat, as opposed to a kitten - like maybe 1 year old? kittens are SO energetic, sometimes they can really annoy an adult. not always - depends on the activity level of the adult! also, black cats are WONDERFUL!

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

you might want to see about a young cat, as opposed to a kitten - like maybe 1 year old? kittens are SO energetic, sometimes they can really annoy an adult. not always - depends on the activity level of the adult! also, black cats are WONDERFUL!
well Luna's moderately energetic and pretty social. a bit overweight though, which i'm working on. I'm planning on introducing them quite slowly to each other.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miao_kitty

well Luna's moderately energetic and pretty social. a bit overweight though, which i'm working on. I'm planning on introducing them quite slowly to each other.
she's pretty, too!
when i got Cable, she was 8 weeks old [foundling] & Pixel & Mouse were both 7 years old. she drove them crazy! after Mouse passed 2 months later, Pixel warmed up to Cable somewhat, but still Cable was way to energetic for her. about 3 months later, i acquired Java [another foundling] who was about 6 months younger than Cable at the time. problem solved - Cable & Java did the 'crazy kitten play' thing together, & Cable & Pixel did the snuggly thing together.
however - i currrently have a new, 6 week old kitten [another foundling - i think there's a sign on my door
] & Cable's the one whose playing with her the most. Cable is now almost 3 years old [August], but she's also my most lively, energetic cat [& alpha, as well].

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

she's pretty, too!
when i got Cable, she was 8 weeks old [foundling] & Pixel & Mouse were both 7 years old. she drove them crazy! after Mouse passed 2 months later, Pixel warmed up to Cable somewhat, but still Cable was way to energetic for her. about 3 months later, i acquired Java [another foundling] who was about 6 months younger than Cable at the time. problem solved - Cable & Java did the 'crazy kitten play' thing together, & Cable & Pixel did the snuggly thing together.
however - i currrently have a new, 6 week old kitten [another foundling - i think there's a sign on my door
] & Cable's the one whose playing with her the most. Cable is now almost 3 years old [August], but she's also my most lively, energetic cat [& alpha, as well].
Wow...i may have to ge two kittens...hehe. my boyfriend would probably killllll me. but i love cats ...so much... and want to rescue them all! HOpefully Luna is still young enough to kinda like playing =P