Opinions on my wet foods

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to know what everyone thinks about my wet food situation. I have tried the following brands that my cats either did not eat at all or did not really seem to really like: Innova, California Natural, Merrick, Natural Balance, Felidae, Nutro, Wellness, and a few others I can't remember. I have decided that I am tired of seeing their food go to waste (and it is getting expensive).

The only wet foods that they really enjoy that are decent quality are Solid Gold, Meow Mix, and Sheba. Solid Gold and Meow Mix both have a high fish content, and Sheba is not complete (should not be an only food). So none of them are "ideal" to me, but do you think that I should just alternate them? How much fish is too much?

Thanks!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UNLESS you have UTI issues your selections seem fine... You might want to try natural life ( they have a rare lamb food).... I would alternate as Solid gold has some less fishy ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

UNLESS you have UTI issues your selections seem fine... You might want to try natural life ( they have a rare lamb food).... I would alternate as Solid gold has some less fishy ...
Emily is the only one with UTI issues and she is also the one who refuses to eat any wet food
so I think we are fine there. I will check out Natural Life also. Thanks Sharky!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is my understanding that wet foods high in fish content are worse for males to eat due to narrower urinary tracts.

My Ginger is a wet food snob who settled on ONE flavor of Meow Mix after I spent LOTS of $$ trying out every single different type and flavor I could get my hands on. I wasted SO much food that couple of months.

She will only ever eat Tuna & Shrimp Meow Mix - so that's what I give her, because I would rather her have SOME wet than none at all.

Penny was raised eating Sheba Chicken & Duck for supper, so that's what I give HER.

Ferris will eat ANYTHING, so I give him a revolving assortment of flavors/types.

But I make DARNED sure that the dry food that I give my kits is high in protein, low in grain (if not compltely grain-free) and is high quality, so that they are getting a balanced and complete diet, even if the wet foods that they prefer are considered not so good for them.

My furbabies have healthy coats, clear eyes, nice dispositions and it seems to be working fine.

I hope my experiences help you out at least a little bit.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

It is my understanding that wet foods high in fish content are worse for males to eat due to narrower urinary tracts.
I've heard that too, which is why I'm a little worried about giving Chessy (my only boy) too much fishy food.

Are you feeding a grain-free dry and if so, which one? Right now they are all eating Natural Balance Ultra dry, but if I could get them all on a grain-free I know that would be better.

Thanks Betsy!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So far Sengetti gets the UTI approval for grain frees... since they like a bit of fish Check out Wellnesses COre

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

I've heard that too, which is why I'm a little worried about giving Chessy (my only boy) too much fishy food.

Are you feeding a grain-free dry and if so, which one? Right now they are all eating Natural Balance Ultra dry, but if I could get them all on a grain-free I know that would be better.

Thanks Betsy!
I am feeding a blend of dry: (I'm guessing at the percentages here)

Nature's Variety Raw Instinct (grain-free) 45%
Serengeti (grain-free) 15%
Royal Canin Adult 40%

The only reason that the Royal Canin is in there is because that is what Penny was eating before I adopted her, so I didn't want her dealing with an abrupt switch. It does have grain in it, but is not what I consider to be a low quality food like IAMS or ProPlan or SD, so I'm comfortable in keeping it in the mix.

Oh - and the reason that the NV Raw Instinct is the highest percentage is the HIGH protein and the holistic probiotics included in it - Ferris was having stool issues on the higher grain foods.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again! I will check those out!

I still have to check with the vet about what food Emily should be eating... She was just on Hills S/D for a month to dissolve her crystals, so I'm not sure whether or not she will need to be on a maintence diet now. I hope not, because she is a grazer and keeping her food separated from the others was not easy! We are actually switching vets because I had so many problems with the old one, so Emily and Chessy have an appointment with a highly recommended vet on the 14th.

ETA: Why do cats have to be so fussy?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

ETA: Why do cats have to be so fussy?
Because if they weren't then they'd be dogs?

Just kidding!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Because if they weren't then they'd be dogs?

Just kidding!!!
lmao... come meet my dog

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lmao... come meet my dog
You have a Yorkie right? I heard they were fussy.

I used to want one because they are sooo adorable, but unfortunately I don't have the time to care for a dog right now. Someday though.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So far Sengetti gets the UTI approval for grain frees... since they like a bit of fish Check out Wellnesses COre
I'm surprised to see that Serengeti contains dried whole milk. Aren't most adult cats lactose intolerant? I looked up "dried skim milk" once and found that it has lactose and that it is a no-no for lactose intolerant humans. Isn't the same true for cats?

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I'm surprised to see that Serengeti contains dried whole milk. Aren't most adult cats lactose intolerant? I looked up "dried skim milk" once and found that it has lactose and that it is a no-no for lactose intolerant humans. Isn't the same true for cats?
Hmm...good question. I think cats are lactose intolerant.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hmm...good question. I think cats are lactose intolerant.
Not ALL cats. My Ginger LOVES pistachio ice-cream, and it has never caused any problems for her.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wanted to add one food you might consider trying. Eagle Pack Ocean Fish & Tuna. My Damita loves her Meow Mix & that is the one other wet food that seems comparable to it by her standards. It might be worth trying?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

My cat is not lactose intolerant(if he is I have seen no signs of it and he drinks some straight milk) and he does great on Serengeti.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lactose is a MOST issue .. I have one who also is not...

In a grain free food I would say the milk is used for CA , Phos and binding

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for clearing up the lactose intolerant issue. If yours are not, how do you know? Is there a test or do they just not show any symptoms? Just curious.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks for clearing up the lactose intolerant issue. If yours are not, how do you know? Is there a test or do they just not show any symptoms? Just curious.
I learned by accident... Kandie also wasnt intolerant so once in a while I gave her skim milk... Zoey decided to drink her leftovers ... no issues then I tried again still no issues

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most common sign I have heard is loose runny stools I believe after having milk. Though I could be wrong and there are probably more signs.