Introducing new foods

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it is commonly said that new foods should be introduced slowly but what can happen if this isn't done? Is it that they can throw up the new food or can they also develope diarrhea and or loose stools?

Thanks in advance for the help!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
usually loose stools ... but yes vomitting can happen...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are allergic, those symptoms can happen. But I find that cats can tolerate changes faster then dogs. Mine get a different can (flavor) of cat food every other day with no problems. I think I'd change dry food slower, but the canned should be fine.

Are you having problems?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DRY food needs a slow change as most are different enough to cause tummy issues( in many cats) .... Wet can be done daily basically due to high moisture

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Are you having problems?
Not really. I'm in process of changing my guys diet because I recently discovered one of them has an intolerance for eggs and possibly fruits and vegtables. I've started to think that fruits and vegtables might be OK and that maybe her loose stool was because I introduced foods containing them too fast. I thought they only threw up if new foods were introduced too fast.

She definately has a problem with egg though. At the moment I'm trying to get them all stablized on foods that she can tolerant even if I'm not happy with the quality. Then I'll get them switched to the high quality foods I prefer for them. At some point I might try reintroducing foods with fruits and veggies but doing it slowly. Maybe she'll be able to tolerant them that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

DRY food needs a slow change as most are different enough to cause tummy issues( in many cats) .... Wet can be done daily basically due to high moisture
You mean new wet foods don't need to be introduced slowly, only dry ones?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right

If egg is an issue AVOID chicken

Peas are the most common veggie allergy