Mmmmmmmm, Raw Bunny Burger!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yummy!

Well, that's what Penny thinks, anyway.

I FINALLY got my hands on some raw rabbit patties at a local, non-chain pet store, The Barking Cat. I bought a 6 lb. package ($32) yesterday and defrosted a patty so I could give Penny the breakfast she had become accustomed to, growing up with Kai Bengal's crew.

I put half of the defrosted patty on a paper plate, chopping it up a little bit first. I wanted the other two to get a chance to smell it and get a taste if they decided they were interested.

There was LOTS of sniffing happening, and to my surprise, Penny didn't go for it immediately - I think she'd gotten used to NOT having raw rabbit for breakfast over the last month (my gosh, she's been with me a whole month already!
)

But as soon as Ginger and Ferris decided they weren't that sure about it and walked away, Penny went back to the plate and started scarfing down her bunny burger.

I'm not sure yet how much I'm supposed to feed her in the mornings, but we'll find our way. I'm just happy to be able to make HER happy.

I'm really pleased to have found this local store - they have the Raw Instinct, Serengeti and they sell Merrick and Wellness and all the GOOD stuff. I spent an hour talking with the proprietor last night, and he even offers free local delivery.

I think I've placed my LAST order with Pet Food Direct.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Almost $6 a pound? I'd be frying up one of them bad boys for myself.
If it weren't for the ground rabbit, rabbit bone, rabbit hearts & rabbit livers, plus duck, pheasant & quail eggs in it, it would be called a fruit and veggie burger!

It is LOADED with good stuff! It is Nature's Variety brand, BTW. I kind of hope that Ferris and Ginger WILL want to eat some!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you found it! A lot of times, those stores are willing to special order stuff for you too...it's always been much cheaper for me than online ordering.

Did she eat the entire half patty (4oz)? That's a little more than I can get Beandip to eat in a whole day. I guess she really likes the bunny burgers.

I couldn't get my cats interested in rabbit. The favorite is beef, followed by chix/turk, then lamb. They aren't sure about venison.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I'm glad you found it! A lot of times, those stores are willing to special order stuff for you too...it's always been much cheaper for me than online ordering.

Did she eat the entire half patty (4oz)? That's a little more than I can get Beandip to eat in a whole day. I guess she really likes the bunny burgers.

I couldn't get my cats interested in rabbit. The favorite is beef, followed by chix/turk, then lamb. They aren't sure about venison.
Funny thing is, the store is located in the building that housed the former bakery where I had my very first job - the very same bakery that my MOTHER had her very first job working for - and HER mother had HER first job there! So it was a bit strange to walk into the place, LOL...memories of eclairs past...

I don't know if she ate the whole thing because I was running late and had to dash out the door, but with Penny's appetite? I wouldn't be surprised.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

If it weren't for the ground rabbit, rabbit bone, rabbit hearts & rabbit livers, plus duck, pheasant & quail eggs in it, it would be called a fruit and veggie burger!

It is LOADED with good stuff! It is Nature's Variety brand, BTW. I kind of hope that Ferris and Ginger WILL want to eat some!
Originally Posted by beandip

That's not bad for ground bunny.

I don't like bones in my burger, though.
Eh, you two are no fun.
Nothing like a little fiber and marrow to get you going in the morning !