I finally got a cell phone! And I think I'm already addicted...

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last time I had a cell phone was in 2001. My mom and I got a plan a couple years into college. I kept losing the phone, and at that time it wasn't something everyone had, so I just didn't renew the contract.

We finally are comfortable enough to be able to afford to add a line to our plan... so we did! I got a cell phone! I've felt so out of touch without one around people in my classes AND work. EVERYONE has a cell phone these days it seems.

I totally did not think I would get so addicted so quickly. I got a data plan with unlimited text/web etc... and it's like every spare moment I'm on my phone checking my e-mail or reading the news (or TheCatSite
). It even has a little camera! I feel old for being so amused by it.
I didn't get a very fancy phone, but definitely a lot fancier than the phone I had when I was younger.

I am REALLY wanting an iPhone, but it's too pricey. My husband's boss is trying to find an excuse for why they might need iPhones for the employees at their company. He's mostly joking though...

I got a cherry metallic red and black Samsung Sync instead. It is similar to a Razr, but it has a few features that are better when I compared them side by side. I'm very happy with it so far.

My husband has a Blackberry and he calls it a Crackberry. He is more addicted than I am... he can even use his phone as a modem for his laptop, which I think is really nifty. I'm easily amused I guess...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just thought of something... I never even mentioned using the phone as a phone!
And I haven't used it much as a phone yet, either.

I used to have a PDA for pharmacy school, but it did too much. I love having something that just does the internet... the screen could be bigger somehow and the numbers easier to type on for text, but I guess that is just as well. If I don't get annoyed with it once in a while, I would be on it every spare moment I have... and I really need to have a life in meat space.
At least having a phone will help me accomplish that.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol, i have sidekick that work gave me, which i hate. but the sms stuff is ok.
that way even when the wife is overseas she can still talk to me if i am not near a computer.

heeh she is talking about getting a iphone also. how for me, all i want a phone to do work when i want to call someone. lol. but they are fun to play with at first .

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was really excited when I got my new cell phone, too! They're great, but I hardly use mine. *GASP* I only use my phone to make calls!!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just thought of something... I never even mentioned using the phone as a phone!
And I haven't used it much as a phone yet, either.

I love having something that just does the interne... the screen could be bigger and the numbers easier to type on for text, but I guess that is just as well. If I don't get annoyed with it once in a while, I would be on it every spare moment I have... and I really need to have a life in meat space.
At least having a phone will help me accomplish that.

This camera has so many features... it's going to take me weeks to get used to it!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I was really excited when I got my new cell phone, too! They're great, but I hardly use mine. *GASP* I only use my phone to make calls!!
That was my reasoning before I even knew a phone that does this much was an option for my contract... it's been a long while since I've had a cell phone, and back then, they were just phones.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

I got a cherry metallic red and black Samsung Sync instead. It is similar to a Razr, but it has a few features that are better when I compared them side by side. I'm very happy with it so far.
Good for you!...

This version maybe are not available in Latinoamerica, any link to meet your phone?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

WHAT?! Thats unheard of!

Have fun with your new phone! I have the Motorolla Razr and adore it
I use it for just text messaging & phone calls- I don't need anything fancier than that!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, now I have a headache! It took me 6 months to figure out how to turn my phone off and on, and it can do more than that? I don't even know how to get to my voice mail. I only use it to call DH during my breaks and on my way home. I think I really need to join the 21st century! (and, what is an iPhone?)

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

OMG, now I have a headache! It took me 6 months to figure out how to turn my phone off and on, and it can do more than that? I don't even know how to get to my voice mail. I only use it to call DH during my breaks and on my way home. I think I really need to join the 21st century! (and, what is an iPhone?)
This is the iphone. They officially go on sale today.

It's a $500-700 phone (on a plan, even more than that to buy just by itself!).

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahhh cell phone junkies..All of ya's....

Im just as addicted but the killer is mine prepaid so texting is a bad thing for me but thats all my friends do..And they cant fill up a whole page telling you what they need to they have to send 20 diff messages with three words per message. And they wonder why I always run outta minutes..

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

well.... i also take
with mine, so my babies are on my wallpaper & i can show them off to people!
mine will go to the web, & do text, etc. but it costs extra with the plan i have, so i don't do it. that's what 'puters are for!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

A colleague and I just went cell phone shopping, because we both needed new ones. One salesman who was praising all the features of certain models was absolutely flabbergasted when E. said, "But I just want to be able to make and receive calls!" He couldn't imagine that.

Originally Posted by laureen227

well.... i also take
with mine, so my babies are on my wallpaper & i can show them off to people!
mine will go to the web, & do text, etc. but it costs extra with the plan i have, so i don't do it. that's what 'puters are for!
That's why I just opted for one (also a cherry-red Samsung, though) that doesn't go to the Web. I never used the email client on my old one, because it was too expensive. For the little I use my cell phone, a prepaid plan is best for me.

One of my students was kind enough to let me play with his new Internet-capable phone, and said he rarely uses it, because the display is too small to read comfortably, and it takes forever to type out emails. I thought it was neat to be able to go online, but really could hardly browse through TCS.

I can see how that would be useful for people who have to travel on business a lot, or who don't have Internet access at home, but otherwise it probably just feeds Internet (read: TCS) addictions.

I'll have to take a few photos of Jamie with my new one, so I can show him to everybody.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only features I have used on my phone is to call someone, get voice mail or use the calculator. Never have sent or received a text messege. I don't even use all my minutes (never have yet). I would have to carry the instruction book to figure things out. Use only the ring tones that came with the phone too (*gasp*)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
As Bruce mentioned, the text messages are really useful if you're abroad and not near a computer, as they're much cheaper than an actual call. I believe they're much more popular in Europe than in North America, where people seem to prefer voice mail.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

The only features I have used on my phone is to call someone, get voice mail or use the calculator.
oh, i also use the calendar feature all the time - keep track of my appointments. & the alarm clock - it's the only alarm clock i use now! i also downloaded a ring tone - Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor.