› Forums › General Forums › New Cats on the Block › New Mom - Cat that is
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Mom - Cat that is

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hello! About 5/6 weeks ago I adopted George from the Humane Society. He's a 5 yr old, orangish/blonde, long hair tabby (adorable - looks like a lion!). This is my first cat and I'm learning new things about him every day. Two weeks ago, he had what I assumed were hairballs. Mostly vomiting up when he would eat - this went on for about 2 days. I switched his food and and added hairball control treats. That seemed to work (I brush him at least once a day - twice if he will let me to also help with the hairball issue). Now he doesn't seem so crazy about eating. He's interested in food - he always wants to know what I have when I'm in the kitchen but doesn't seem to eat what's in his bowl (he turns his nose up to people food). He's been eating dry food so I decided to add some canned to his menu. The first day he gobbled it up...the second day, hardly touched it. I've tried giving him some canned tuna (I figured he needs to eat something). He'll eat a small amount of it and then nothing. Some of his favorite treats no longer interest him. Was he tramatized by the vomiting episode? I changed back to the original dry food I was feeding him and he barely touches it. Do I just have a very very picky eater?? He seems to be his normal self since the vomiting episode - just not in his eating. I'd appreciate any suggestions/advise you can give me!! Thanks
post #2 of 17
Welcome to TCS!

Has George been to the vet for a physical exam since you brought him home? If he is not eating, I do suggest you call your vet, see what s/he thinks. Many cats in shelter come in contact with any number of things & it is not immediately present.
post #3 of 17
Good advice, see vet 1st to rule out something. Take urine & feces samples with you. To get urine put some styrophone beads in litter box & strain.
Maybe he's not used to being an only cat, coming from a shelter. Many years ago, my husbands dog came to live with us when we bought our home. She had been one of 4 dogs & used to rush in to eat when at my in laws. When she came to live with us, she became picky.
post #4 of 17
Hi Welcome to TCS!!!!

I hope you enjoy it here
post #5 of 17
Hello and welcome to the site !

I am sorry you are having some eating problems with George It is wise to get him checked over by the vet, but cat can be fussy eaters and hopefully he's just not interested in what you've given him. I have the same issue with my 4 cats every 6 mths or so, for some reason they just decide that the food they've had is total rubbish

Well hopefully you'll get something sorted and George will be eating like a lion again Keep us posted.

Well glad you dropped in to join us and enjoy the forums !
post #6 of 17
Hello, Welcome to TCS! Hope you can work out your cats problem with food.
post #7 of 17
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina y Milky te saludan!!........
(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...)

See you on the forums!
post #8 of 17
post #9 of 17
Hello & welcome
Hope George feels better soon
post #10 of 17
Hello and Welcme to you and George.
post #11 of 17
Hi and welcome to TCS! It's great that you've joined us!

If you have any questions as you find your way around the site, please feel free to click on my username and send me a private message. I'll be happy to help.
post #12 of 17
Hi welcome to TCS!
post #13 of 17
Welcome and hello to poor George. Hope he's better soon.
I just wanted to say it's great to hear of an adult cat getting adopted....sad so many are unwanted for adoption once they're out of being cute kittens.
post #14 of 17
hi and welcome to the catsite
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hello and thanks for all the welcomes! George had been to the vet a few days after I brought him home and they found no problems with him at that time. On Friday am I took him in again - and after x-rays and exam the dr thought he might just have an upset stomache (possibly from the stuff that I had to spray on my silk plants cuz he was eating them!). So for the next few days he gets to take an acid reducer and an appetite stimulant. He doesn't like taking the small pills and I'm really not enjoying giving them to him!! He has started to eat some which is good. If he wasn't eating by the weekend the dr wanted him back in to do more extensive work. George is such a character, I'm so glad I brought him home!! (he was an only pet in his previous home so I think I'll wait awhile to see if he can adjust to having siblings!). Thanks again for your ideas and hellos - looking forward to learing more about the life of cats
post #16 of 17

George sounds lovely, I hope you will post some photos, we like picures

post #17 of 17
I am glad he is starting to eat!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: New Cats on the Block › Forums › General Forums › New Cats on the Block › New Mom - Cat that is