Spraying.....

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found two spray marks down in the basement. Luckily we had the room repainted and I was able to see it.

I am pretty sure it's Connor, b/c I have caught him years ago.
We have a diffuser in bedroom he sleeps/hides in. One in the living room on the other side of his favorite closet. There is no outlet in the basement hallway.

We do have the feliway spray which we forgot to use this week.
He likes to spray when everyone is in bed. Last night I was up late and saw him hanging out in the basement.

Other than remembering to use the spray, what should I be doing?
He is a healthy male and 10 years old. He was neutered at 4 months old.

ETA: There is a litter box in his bedroom, one in my bedroom and one in the basement/laundry room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! I found more spray marks in the same area. I wiped it with water last night cause I didn't know what to use. Then I sprayed with the feliway.

Today I wiped it down with white vinegar/white mixture and sprayed the feliway again.

There are 5 males in this house but it's either Lucky or Connor.
I don't know what to do.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll need to get some Nature's Miracle, or another enzymatic cleaner to remove the urine smell or they will continue to mark those spots.

Vinegar isn't going to break down and completely remove the urea smell, it'll just clean off the spray so it LOOKS clean.

A UTI is a possibility - when was the last vet check?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

You'll need to get some Nature's Miracle, or another enzymatic cleaner to remove the urine smell or they will continue to mark those spots.

Vinegar isn't going to break down and completely remove the urea smell, it'll just clean off the spray so it LOOKS clean.

A UTI is a possibility - when was the last vet check?
No UTI issues. Actually this is a very old habit for both males. Lucky didn't spray at the apartment for two years he was there. Connor has always sprayed. With the fresh painted walls, I can see the marks better. I used the feliway spray for 2 weeks before we moved in but I completely forgot this last week.(actually we lost the spray with all the boxes around). Actually the spot that is being marked now is 6 inches from the old mark that I sprayed with Feliway.

I haven't made it to the store yet (don't drive) but I will try to remember tonight.

I just read about the aluminum foil trick in the sticky and will try that also.

No one has marked the other 2 areas that they used to mark.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I bought Simple Solution Cat Stain & Odor Remover from Petco. It's an enzymatic cleaner. Now the darn cat found new places to spray. I am losing my mind here.

Any suggestions besides going back to the vet?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about Feliway diffusers running continuously - I know they are a little pricey, but they can be a Godsend.

For me, they seem to work better than the spray.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What about Feliway diffusers running continuously - I know they are a little pricey, but they can be a Godsend.

For me, they seem to work better than the spray.
We have two already. One in his bedroom & one in the living room. We don't have outlets in the downstairs hall. One spray area is in front of the diffuser.

He keeps finding new places to spray. The last spot I found was under my desk on my subwofer.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, man, I have no clue, then...that stinks, I'm sorry.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Aw, man, I have no clue, then...that stinks, I'm sorry.
Thanks for giving me ideas though. Mom will have to deal with it for a week. I will have to sniff the whole house when I get back from vacation. LoL

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand exactly what you are dealing with. Eric has sprayed off and on for several years. I've never determined what sets him off. I've tried Feliway with almost no success.

I have had some success recently with a product called No Mark. Like Feliway, it imitates the "happy pheromones" that are supposed to make cats calm and reduce spraying. It might be worth a try for you. It's available at some pet stores.

Good luck!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont know if this will help you or not ........ but here goes .......

My Grandma passed away earlier this year and I was deeply affected by it. I had been crying for days. Kiko has always been in tune with me, always. Well I went to use the restroom and I was sitting there crying and Kiko came up to my legs and rubbed his head along with his whole body back and forth on my legs and then suddenly he aimed his butt towards me and his tail was sticking straight up and quivering and he sprayed me on my legs.

That had never ever happened before then and it hasnt happened after then. Spraying period, from any of my cats, but especially not spraying me.

I feel like it had something to do with me being in deep mourning. Kiko had not left my side for days, while I was crying.

I realized that I was more than likely causing him to be stressed to see me so upset all of the time. So I started dealing with my grief more inwards than the outward display. And Kiko started venturing out on his own and not needing to be by my side constantly.

All of this to say, check his surroundings and make sure there is nothing causing him any stress and if there is, eliminate it, or it cut it back and reintroduce it to him more slowly.

I always heard that a cat will spray when "his world" as he knows it has been threatened. Good Luck, Sweetie!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I dont know if this will help you or not ........ but here goes .......

My Grandma passed away earlier this year and I was deeply affected by it. I had been crying for days. Kiko has always been in tune with me, always. Well I went to use the restroom and I was sitting there crying and Kiko came up to my legs and rubbed his head along with his whole body back and forth on my legs and then suddenly he aimed his butt towards me and his tail was sticking straight up and quivering and he sprayed me on my legs.

That had never ever happened before then and it hasnt happened after then. Spraying period, from any of my cats, but especially not spraying me.

I feel like it had something to do with me being in deep mourning. Kiko had not left my side for days, while I was crying.

I realized that I was more than likely causing him to be stressed to see me so upset all of the time. So I started dealing with my grief more inwards than the outward display. And Kiko started venturing out on his own and not needing to be by my side constantly.

All of this to say, check his surroundings and make sure there is nothing causing him any stress and if there is, eliminate it, or it cut it back and reintroduce it to him more slowly.

I always heard that a cat will spray when "his world" as he knows it has been threatened. Good Luck, Sweetie!
I think he doesn't like being with 5 other cats especially Lucky but I can't change that.

The marks seem to be around our stuff and not mom's stuff. Mom put some of their blankets around the house. Maybe he just needs more time to adjust. It's only been a week since we moved in.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I am going to pull my hair out! They are still spraying. I honestly can't tell which one is doing it. The feliway diffusers ran out but it didn't help with the spraying. I am using the enzymatic cleaner and then spraying feliway but they just mark a few inches down. I am finding them on the couch, the fridge, DH's amp(he is
), boxes, doors etc...

I just don't know what to try next. Help!

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I am new here (been reading for ages, but just registered). I have the same problem with 2 males, and it is because there is a stray in the area that they see at night. They immediately go after one of my other cats (I have 7) or come in and spray.
The area I live in is full of strays; the minute I relocate one, another comes along. The vet has the males on a medication and says to keep them inside (I have a protected garden where they can go and play) and to keep them away from windows.

Any chance your little ones are seeing something outside that threatens their territory?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by seaturtle

Hello,

I am new here (been reading for ages, but just registered). I have the same problem with 2 males, and it is because there is a stray in the area that they see at night. They immediately go after one of my other cats (I have 7) or come in and spray.
The area I live in is full of strays; the minute I relocate one, another comes along. The vet has the males on a medication and says to keep them inside (I have a protected garden where they can go and play) and to keep them away from windows.

Any chance your little ones are seeing something outside that threatens their territory?
Nothing outside. It's definately the adjustment of them all living together again. Lucky & Connor are the sprayers that we know of. They don't care for each other either. Connor has always sprayed. We had the carpets cleaned before I moved in and I think they are re-marking their spots. It's an old behavior issue which is the hard part. Connor & Princess were the only cats for 3 years. Then they rest came into the picture. Lucky moved out with me 2years ago.

I just don't know if the spraying will ever stop. I can deal with it on the walls but not the furniture. 90% of the marks are on DH's & my stuff which is why I think it is Connor since his scent isn't there & Lucky's is. Just when I clean one area they find another place to mark it is alarming me. None of them are sick. Just an old behavioral issue and I will not remove any from our home.

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Ouch, I know what you mean. I just found two more places where they'd spray And mine move from place to place, too - it's random spraying.
Have you tried medicating them for a little while? Apparently, if you do that for a few months, then wean them off it, the behavior will stick. Mine haven't been on it long enough yet for it to take effect.

The vet did say that probably nothing will work as long as they are stressed.
So some claming meds might help yours.

If I find any answers, I'll let you know. Please do the same. I am going out of my mind, too, and I won't give them up, either.

Sigh.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally caught Connor spraying. I just spent 30 minutes with him in mom's room and fed him dinner. I went to bed and he came in, let out this little weird cry and I heard the stream hit the wall.

I immediately got up and cleaned the wall. I don't know what his problem is.
Mom just came home today and we are talking about bringing him to the vet for help.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Connor finally sprayed in front of my mother. She is very
and talking about putting him down if we don't resolve this. Not something I ever expected from her since this is her baby.

ETA: Both times we caught him, he just finished eating. I am wondering if he is sick now. Mom thinks I am making excuses.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The crying sounds like it is a health issue .......... Im sorry you guys are going through this ........ are you going to get him into the vet tomorrow?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

The crying sounds like it is a health issue .......... Im sorry you guys are going through this ........ are you going to get him into the vet tomorrow?
Sounds like later in the week. I am home all day but I don't drive. Everyone I know works and can't get me to the vet before the close. I dunno what to do about getting to the vet sooner. Mom is stubborn!!!!!