What to feed a cat with painful teeth?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Poor Hobbes just came home from the vet, and he has many cavities. I think he may have to have many teeth removed. What should I feed him? I was thinking of cooking rice, and adding his canned food to it.

The poor old guy had to have blood work done, too. They think his system is shutting down, as he's very old; perhaps 15 or 16.

Thanks.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly at that age, I'd feed them whatever they want as long as it doesn't make them sick.

If he'll eat his canned food, that's probably the best for him, or even plain meat (no garlic or onion) baby foods, or plain boiled chicken.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That isn't really that old for a cat, what have the bloods shown? I have always found they prefer dry food when their teeth bother them, as they can just swallow it. Good luck with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

That isn't really that old for a cat, what have the bloods shown? I have always found they prefer dry food when their teeth bother them, as they can just swallow it. Good luck with him.
We haven't gotten the results yet. I think he's finding eating painful, due to his teeth. I didn't just want to give him canned food; I didn't know if that provides enough nutrition (he usually has both canned & dry).

Thanks!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

We haven't gotten the results yet. I think he's finding eating painful, due to his teeth. I didn't just want to give him canned food; I didn't know if that provides enough nutrition (he usually has both canned & dry).

Thanks!
Canned food provides excellent nutrition...far superior to dry IMO. The protein and fat content is normally higher than the dry food when you factor out the moisture (which is one of the best things about wet food). Of course, there are various qualities of foods available but the vast majority are intended to be complete/balanced diets. Cats don't need dry food.

Personally I wouldn't add the rice, just because that adds more bulk and takes up room in his tummy where the wet cat food (i.e. meat) can go.

A couple of articles I like...

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...needcannedfood

http://catinfo.org/

I'm sorry that Hobbes' teeth are bothering him. Give him a hug from me

If it's encouraging at all, my Leopold only has his front teeth. He does fine with dry food when I let him have it. He eats wet food...and he can still tear up raw meat with the few teeth he has.