Can't Post in IMO

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How come I cant post in IMO? I just tried a couple minutes ago and it wouldnt let me?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To post in IMO you must:

- be an 'adult cat' (100 posts / 30 days membership)
- be over 18

There is a sticky at the top of IMO that explains the membership requirements for that forum

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So is it 30 days AND 100 posts .. or 30 days OR 100 posts, whichever comes first .. I'm never going to have 100 posts soon, that'll be in like a year. I dont have enough time to do 100 posts. By the time i'm able to post, the IMO subject that is up is going to be long expired and no one is going to be talking about it.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it is 30 days and 100 posts. You'd be surprised how fast the posts add up.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's ridicolous. I rarely ever post on here, I dont have an opinion on much, and dont have the time to post. I'm gonna get 100 posts in a year maybe, and I dont think that's fair at all.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
There are a number of reasons for the restrictions. You can review the IMO forum rules here: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17161

IMO was designed for more in-depth discussions among our established members who have demonstrated appropriate posting protocol. Due to the nature of the threads, which do become heated at times, we want to discourage drop-in posters from posting to flame or otherwise provoke tempers. In this light, the decision has been reached that no one with less than 100 posts (Adult Cat status) will be able to post in there. In addition, there is an age restriction. The main reasons for this decision are as follows:

1. :troll:Keeps the trolls at bay, the people who join the site for the sole purpose of riling up the rest of the membership.

2. Allows everyone to get to know each other prior to posting in a sometimes volatile forum. It does get heated in IMO at times, but if we all know each other, we generally still respect each other in the morning.

3. The IMO forum is meant for stimulating discussion, hearty debates and an eventual meeting of the minds, to give our members more substance to sink our teeth into.
It should embrace differences, accept other cultures and ideas and not leave anyone feeling wounded that they decided to join in on a thread. By allowing people to read IMO for a while prior to posting, we hope that the personally insulting posts will be kept to a minimum, since they will be able to see how we generally conduct ourselves toward each other.

4. The serious and political nature of the majority of the threads in IMO do not lend themselves to being discussed by minors, therefore the forum is restricted to adults only. The age restriction has been set at 18 years old.
It's actually not at all difficult to make 30 posts, as evidenced by many of our members who average about 20 a day.
Visit our Feline Companions forums, and offer your experience, advice or support, or have a look at Fur Pictures and Videos Only, and express your admiration for the beautiful fur babies shown there. Or join in the discussions in the Cat Lounge.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

There are a number of reasons for the restrictions. You can review the IMO forum rules here: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17161

It's actually not at all difficult to make 30 posts, as evidenced by many of our members who average about 20 a day.
Visit our Feline Companions forums, and offer your experience, advice or support, or have a look at Fur Pictures and Videos Only, and express your admiration for the beautiful fur babies shown there. Or join in the discussions in the Cat Lounge.
Thank you for posting those
You can also welcome new people in the New Cats on the Block. I find it easy to get 15-20 per day by just cruising the Lounge.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I read the rules and understand them. I guess I just wont be post in IMO any time soon. There are not enough minutes in the day for me to be able to post 20 times a day. Sorry, the computer is not my life, and I have more important things to do then be on it on all hours of the day.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yam102284

There are not enough minutes in the day for me to be able to post 20 times a day. Sorry, the computer is not my life, and I have more important things to do then be on it on all hours of the day.
No need to be sorry, since all of us have families, work and other commitments we can fully understand someone having more important things to do. I honestly think it's really good to be doing other important things rather than just making a computer one's life. We just finally got our daughter to do something besides sitting on the computer playing Guild Wars and that's a big relief for us.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Thank you for posting those
You can also welcome new people in the New Cats on the Block. I find it easy to get 15-20 per day by just cruising the Lounge.
Another good tip! Also, our members in Crossing The Bridge need emotional support, though I have to admit that I'm one of those who finds it hard to read the posts there, because I don't want to think about mortality.

Originally Posted by yam102284

And I read the rules and understand them. I guess I just wont be post in IMO any time soon. There are not enough minutes in the day for me to be able to post 20 times a day. Sorry, the computer is not my life, and I have more important things to do then be on it on all hours of the day.
That's a healthy attitude. And don't worry - you may have missed out on expressing your viewpoint this time around, but you'll probably get a second or third chance, because we tend to recycle or resurrect many issues. Meaning the same old people manage to disagree on the same old matters for years!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

And don't worry - you may have missed out on expressing your viewpoint this time around, but you'll probably get a second or third chance, because we tend to recycle or resurrect many issues. Meaning the same old people manage to disagree on the same old matters for years!
Too true! Or, when you reach 100/30, you can start your own thread.

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm still having a problem, actually. I just reached a hundred posts, and I've been a member since 2005.. any other reason for this? Maybe it's because I was sixteen when I joined.. bah! Oh well. Any explanations would be helpful.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, you are still listed as a minor. I'll send a note to one of the admins to correct that.