Sleepwalking...sort of

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might be sort of long, but I've broken it into paragraphs. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing.

So, I've never been a sleep walker. My dad gets himself off the couch, to the bathroom and into bed in a complete trance, and is impossible for anyone but my mother to wake when lying down asleep. My brother does the same thing. But me, I usually just wake up and reposition often through the night. I don't even snore. I occasionally talk in my sleep (like 3 times in my whole life, so rare), but otherwise, nothing. Well, except....

Once, in university (about 5 yrs ago), I woke up standing beside my roommate (and best friend)'s bed. I had it in my head that I had to tell her something important, but sort of woke up when she asked me what I was doing and couldn't remember what it was I was going to tell her. Creepy, yeah, but I swear I wasn't going Norman Bates on her

Around the same time (within a yearish), I was sleeping at my parents' and dreamt that something was crawling up from the corner of my bed against the wall. I was on my knees halfway down the bed before I woke up enough to come to my senses.

Cut to a week ago. BF is in the living room at 1am and hears me say loudly "Jesus....................Oh my god!" in a really scared voice. He comes in thinking someone's in the apartment ready to kick butt....I'm sort of half asleep and can't explain what I was yelling about. I vaguely remember thinking someone/thing was in the corner of the room. About an hour after, I'm back asleep and walk out to the living room to tell him "There's another one....but it's different than the first." He's like "what??". Me, "Not like the others. Different."
Then I walk back to bed and go to sleep. I have no memory of that part.

Last night, I woke up thinking there were maggots coating my sheet (but oddly not freaking out about it, who knows why) and was actually turning on the light by the time I woke up. I also found that I had stripped the pillow case off my pillow at some point. I don't remember why.

Is that not weird? I seem to have bouts of this sort of thing and it's getting more frequent. It didn't happen at all until about 5 years ago. Otherwise, I'm a very vivid dreamer and can usually remember my dreams (I always said I'd survive Captain Trips no problem
), but I don't remember them even right after the fact in these instances. Does anyone have similar experiences?

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a kid I did weird stuff and never remembered, my family would tell me in the morning and my Dad had to sleep on the couch so I didn't walk out, but I outgrew it thankfully. My Best friends husband had dreams like this all the time, he would run around the room thinking someone was killing my friend, some times he would end up bloody because he was fighting the walls and stuff. Maybe you should go for a sleep study. You could hurt yourself

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

As a kid I did weird stuff and never remembered, my family would tell me in the morning and my Dad had to sleep on the couch so I didn't walk out, but I outgrew it thankfully. My Best friends husband had dreams like this all the time, he would run around the room thinking someone was killing my friend, some times he would end up bloody because he was fighting the walls and stuff. Maybe you should go for a sleep study. You could hurt yourself
I wake up shortly after I move in every case except the time I walked out to the living room. Usually, I wake up as I'm moving...like within seconds. I've never lashed out at all or tried to leave the apartment. I don't think I'd get that far. However, I wonder what would turn up in a sleep study???

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do things like that sometimes, especially when I'm under stress. When I was taking care of my mom, I slept on the couch because she had a hospital bed in the dining room. She called to me in the middle of the night because she needed the bedpan. I got up, walked right past her went in the kitchen and came out with a butterknife. I woke up right when I got back in the diningroom. Another time, I went to the phone, picked it up and woke up in the middle of a conversation with the dial tone. I think stress does have a lot to do with it because I haven't done anything like that in a while.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sleep walk. A LOT.

I carry on conversations with unknown individuals, go through the house flipping lights, sit at the end of the bed staring at God knows what, rummage through imaginary piles of things and occasionally spend the entire night simply pestering the hell out of my husband!
I very rarely have any recollection of my actions but occasionally I, like you, wake up mid sentence or mid stride. My mother has tons of odd (and sometimes hilarious) stories of my sleep-walking mis-haps and kept locks high on the doors so I couldn't get outside.

I really do need to go to the doctor and have a sleep study done, my DH tells me of different episodes at least twice a week, and who knows what happens when he doesn't even wake up.

As a matter of fact, I woke up this morning with a piece of grass between my toes, and I wonder if I took a walk last night. As far as I know I've never went outside in my sleep, but that grass unnerved me a bit. I didn't say anything to Josh, he would have installed pad-locks this afternoon.

I should really make an appointment....

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a friend who used to unlock all of the doors in her sleep. When her parents finally figured out what was going on, they would leave the doors unlocked and she would go and lock them in her sleep!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Samantha1979

I had a friend who used to unlock all of the doors in her sleep. When her parents finally figured out what was going on, they would leave the doors unlocked and she would go and lock them in her sleep!

Thats hilarious!!