Peeing on my bags!!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would really appreciate some advice.... I've read the thread on inappropriate peeing but nothing seems to apply!

Our cat was no problem to litter train initially. We've had him almost 4 weeks. He is now about 12 weeks old and on 3 occasions (2 in the last 3 days; the first time was 2 weeks ago) he has peed on our sports bags. They were 3 different bags each time (but the same sort of material) so it's not a case of him re-marking territory. The thing is, on most occasions he goes in the litter box. I scoop it out twice a day and clean it thoroughly at least once a week. Tonight he had just done a poo in the litter box, got out, miaowed at me once or twice then disappeared into the sitting room. I went after him and there he was on my partner's bag. I know his poo smells bad but it's no excuse!!

Why is he doing it?? I'm bringing him to the vet on tuesday for a vaccination and I will ask him to check for a UTI but I really don't think that's the problem as 9 times out of 10 he gets it right. We have removed all accessible bags but you know the way these things get thrown down on the floor when you come back from the gym.......I don't want to constantly worry about him doing it!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's a good idea to get him to the vet. But frankly, I have one that once in a while, just finds some cool new texture (like a plastic shopping bag) and will have to pee on it.

Oh, wait! Is he neutered? My cat did that more before she was spayed...

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any actual advice for you but when I was in highschool my best friends cat started doing the same thing to her bags... He was still using his litterpan and going outside okay but for some reason he always peed on the bags! Sure enough when they took him to the vet he had a UTI and I think he might have had something with crystals too, not sure... My point is, even though he is still using the litterpan and you don't think it is a UTI is still can definately be... Plus, I think males are prone to this... So have your vet check it out! Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well he isn't neutered but he's only 12 weeks. Thanks for the advice; fingers crossed he's ok at the vets and it's nothing more than liking the texture!!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While the cause is usually medical, his age and the fact that he's probably not neutered yet are 2 counts against the possibility of a medical problem. It would be foolish and irresponsible of me to not recommend a vet check, so do that...however some suggestions...

Get him a second box. A lot of cats don't like to poo and pee in the same place. He seems to have hinted at that with his most recent "accident" that you described.

Try Cat Attract litter - very good stuff. I think there is a store locator at www.preciouscat.com

I don't know what type of box you have but I think uncovered ones are best...generally highly preferred by the cat over a covered one.

For awhile, I would highly suggest removing the temptation for him, i.e. put the bags up. I don't think you will have to do it forever.

If there is any trace of odor left in the bag, he will definitely do it again. Even if you can't smell it, he probably can. Vinegar/Water is good for neutralizing the odor (50/50 mix) or you can get a product called Nature's Miracle that is made just for that purpose.

After the odor is gone, I would suggest a product called No Mark. It's like Feliway, but much more economical. It comes in a 16oz bottle @ Petsmart for $10. It's a very effective product in my experience.

Is there any chance he's a tiny bit older than 12 weeks? That's getting very close to the age where some territorial marking could be a possibility. Neutering should eliminate the urge if that's the case.

Good luck!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's a combination of the texture and the weird smells it's picking up at the gym? It could be possible that he's trying to remark them as 'his'. Nothing for it but to pick up after yourself.

Hopefully he doesn't have a UTI . While he's at the vet you might as well schedule his neutering so you won't have to worry about spraying becoming an issue.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where you're at, but recently SOME vets have started neutering at 2 pounds. (I think that's what I remember.) They seem to actually recover pretty well at that age. I think my kitty was neutered at 10 or 12 weeks, and he did great!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Again thanks for all the advice. I have removed the temptation for the time being and hopefully he won't find something else he likes! It's an uncovered litter box but coincidentally I ordered a covered box today (hopefully he'll take to it; if not will keep the uncovered but stinky one
).

Regarding neutering, none of the vets in my area will do it before 6 months. I think it's pretty much standard in Ireland. So we'll have to put up with it in the meantime!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

Again thanks for all the advice. I have removed the temptation for the time being and hopefully he won't find something else he likes! It's an uncovered litter box but coincidentally I ordered a covered box today (hopefully he'll take to it; if not will keep the uncovered but stinky one
).

Regarding neutering, none of the vets in my area will do it before 6 months. I think it's pretty much standard in Ireland. So we'll have to put up with it in the meantime!!
Ok, I see. I know it's different around the world; in some countries, the poor owners have a terrible time trying to get their cat neutered! OH! And have you washed the gym bags with an anti-enzyme cleaner that takes away the smell? (Natures Miracle or such) Don't wash with bleach, because it smells like pee to a cat, and they will just continue going on it!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

OH! And have you washed the gym bags with an anti-enzyme cleaner that takes away the smell? (Natures Miracle or such) Don't wash with bleach, because it smells like pee to a cat, and they will just continue going on it!
I dumped the first one as it was old. I have to pick up some stuff from the Pet Shop for the other two. But they're inaccessible to him at present. Looking at him now you'd think butter wouldn't melt in his mouth! I must get some photos up to show you guys.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

I dumped the first one as it was old. I have to pick up some stuff from the Pet Shop for the other two. But they're inaccessible to him at present. Looking at him now you'd think butter wouldn't melt in his mouth! I must get some photos up to show you guys.
we all love
i definitely recommend the Cat Attract, BTW. assuming there's not a medical problem.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was doing that for a while, I think they just have fetishes for bags, as silly as that sounds, so now all bags are hidden and inaccessible, and the problem was solved

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's another possibility. He's rather young if he's 12 weeks and he was away from mom awful early at 4 weeks...it is possible that he's feeling insecure and he's peeing on your gym bag because it's the thing in the house that most smells like you...It's possible he's trying to make a family smell and reassure himself.

Much the way that an otherwise happy litter box using kitty can pee on an owner's bed if they go away for a length of time.

Is he alone a lot? He's still a baby and might not be ready for long stretches alone.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

Here's another possibility. He's rather young if he's 12 weeks and he was away from mom awful early at 4 weeks...

He was 8 weeks when we got him; I wouldn't take a kitten any earlier. We've only had him 4 weeks now.

Is he alone a lot? He's still a baby and might not be ready for long stretches alone.
Well, I'm not sure if it's enough but I play with him for at least half an hour in the morning before work. He's alone maybe 4 hours then. I come home for at least an hour at lunch and then he might have 4 hours again alone in the evening. He has company then for about 5 hours at night, sometimes longer, depending on how late we sit up! I'm self employed so I have been taking whatever time I can to be at home with him as I know he likes company.

So far today there have been no incidents yet