Creepy, Freaky Night Last Night! (long)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have three cats (I really need to get a siggy): Oberon, Sparkle, and Lily.

Last night, at about 3:30 a.m., we are woken up by Oberon (a neutered male) going, "YOWL! YOWL! YOWL!" My husband went to check on him because he's our old guy with CRF and hyperthyroidism. So, all's O,K. and we go back to sleep.

I dreamed that our washing machine was overheating and on fire, and that Oberon was trying to warn us, and woke up once again to Oberon's "YOWL! YOWL! YOWL!" I got up and went to him on the sofa and petted him, and he was fine.

I'm back asleep when Lily jumps on me, then tears across us on the bed. She goes around and tears across us again in the same direction. Lily has never done this before. Then she starts scratching frantically at the wall, so I get up and go to the kitchen to check if the food bowl is empty.

Lily runs to the french doors in the kitchen, that overlook the deck and back yard. I pick her up (she loves when I pick her up and always relaxes and starts purring immediately) and open the door a crack to see if there's some animal or something on on the deck. I suddenly get goose bumps shooting down my legs and up my neck! It's dark out and I can't see anything, and Lily is struggling and wiggling and I can't hold her, and I close the door, and she jumps to the floor.

Just then, Sparkle comes toward me (I'm still by the door) like she wants to be petted, then just as she reaches me, she does a U-turn. She walks away and does it again, and I'm starting to get freaked!

All three kitties are acting VERY weird, and Sparkle and Lily, who barely tolerate each other, are sitting next to each other, and Sparkle's tail is twitching like crazy. The first thing I'm thinking is EARTHQUAKE! I'm covered with goose bumps!

By this time, my husband's up with the flashlight, and heading outside to see what's going on. I told him urgently "Don't go out there!" I had to say it three times before he said O.K. and he didn't go out. He told me this morning after he went to sleep he dreamed he was attacked by a bear. Guess he was a little freaked, too.

Our cats don't react to other cats in the neighborhood, and they ignore raccoons. We do have an otter trail, and have seen three different otters come through the yard, and they do react some to that, but not anything like last night! And we didn't have an earthquake (that I know of). Sometimes there are cougars sighted in the area, and I wonder if it was a cougar! I suppose it could have been any number of animals, but whatever it was, it was new and our cats sensed it.

What do you think it could have been? Have you had a similar experience?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it have been someone who was going to break in the house?

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is pretty freaky! I dont know what could have gotten into them.

A couple weeks ago I woke up to Skye and Calamity both yowling and sounding like they were attacking something. I thought they were going at each other or something. Which they really have never done. Just hiss at each other every now and then. Anyways I walk into the living room and I see them both pressed against the screen in the window. I saw something white outside. I didnt have a clue what it was. It was making a really freaky noise. I thought it was a ghost.

Well I figured I had to do something to shut the girls up and keep the ghost out.
So I ran over really quick swiped the girls out of the window. Screaming the whole time myself. Thinking I came face to face with a ghost. I look closer (hey I was still curious) and it was Butch and Sundances feral father clinging to my screen 3 stories from the ground! I dont know how he got all the way up there.
But when he saw me he flipped out and jumped. Ive seen him a few times since then and he seems to be fine. Hes an almost all white medium hair cat. And I was sure it was a ghost. LOL

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Could it have been someone who was going to break in the house?
Gee Fwan, nice one!!! If she wasn't freaked out enough before, she will be now

Our kitties have had similar reactions to other cats hanging around outside. So if they're used to the other cats, it could have been a new big tom cat, or some other creature hanging around. I think they get most territorial around other animals in their space.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

There is a full moon on Saturday, June 30th, so the tides are affecting human and animal behaviour. Weird things always happen a few days before and after a full moon.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whatever it was, it seems like you listening to the kitty cats and getting up to check and then listening to your instincts solved the issue. It was probably some sort of animal wouldnt you think? If you have cougars periodically in the area that is a possibility.

Cats do not generally respond that way to a person.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

There is a full moon on Saturday, June 30th, so the tides are affecting human and animal behaviour. Weird things always happen a few days before and after a full moon.
Interesting

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course my first thought was ghost!
But my animals have reacted that way to raccoons and foxes. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a mountain lion. Aren't they nocturnal? Could you find any prints?

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does sound rather creepy!
Probably an animal outside. Your husband is very brave! There`s no way I would have gone out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses!

kluchetta, what a brilliant idea to check for prints. I went outside and looked around, but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. I did warily eye the trees before going out, though.

I'm still a little on edge about it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry, SW, it was probably just the mothership passing overhead on its way down to Area 51.

Do you have a blacklight? Maybe you should check your doors and walls to see if another cat is spraying outside. Meanwhile, oh please, don't open your door at night! If it had been a person... or a bear... he could have knocked you right over and come on in.

But what great watchcats you have! And a great husband, too -- brave enough to want to go outside, but smart enough to listen when you told him he shouldn't!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Sasquatch of course!
The only time my boys have freaked like that is when another old and very grumpy tom cat was outside the windows.

Originally Posted by Fostermomm

I look closer (hey I was still curious) and it was Butch and Sundances feral father clinging to my screen 3 stories from the ground! I don't know how he got all the way up there.
That's amazing that he got all the way up there!

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

And a great husband, too -- brave enough to want to go outside, but smart enough to listen when you told him he shouldn't!
Indeed!

mickey14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
CarolPetunia;1857422 said:
Don't worry, SW, it was probably just the mothership passing overhead on its way down to Area 51.

Oh boy!!Thats another good one!!

But cats do have goofy insane 6th senses about things!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in agreement with the Full Moon theory. My two have been acting up and people in general have been really wacky today. The full moon, and the days leading up to it, generally bring out some odd behavior in humans and animals...

As I was walking down the steps next to my apt today, Jack had his face wedged in the open part of the living room window, meowing at me. This wouldn't be a huge deal, except he rarely meows. He's the silent one (Thank God... JoJo is chatty enough for five cats). The first thing I think of is Full Moon. If there were an intruder in my place, my two would be hiding under the bed...

Amanda

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ièd be nervous too - sounds like there was definitely something out there! (sorry - my french keyboard seems to be turned on - must get it switched back again)!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would be willing to bet there was something new outside.
be it a animal or person.

Heyu is famous for waking me up anytime someone comes in. When i was staying with my father, she did it. Now that itta is here, anytime she leaves and comes back heyu wakes me.

last time, i open the 2 windows downstaris then laid down to take a nap upstaris heyu came running up , started yelling, i get up, she runs to the to of the staris meow!! meow!!! i really get the idea she wants me to follow so i do, she leads me right to the two open windows and runing back and forth between them MEOW @!! meow!!! lol i dont think she liked them being open.

so yea, i would bet somethign new was out there