Feeding kitten & overeating adult cat?

elise1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1 year old male cat that use to overeat. To control his weight, I give him a limited amount of wet food twice a day, (he is now a healthy 12 pounds).

I am fostering kittens and want to adopt a 10 week old female. Currently, the kittens are kept in a separate bedroom. They eat wet kitten food 3 times a day and have dry kitten food always available.

When the kitten becomes part of the household, what is the best way to feed my adult and kitten together so that the adult will not overeat?

Thanks,

Elise

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Elise1

When the kitten becomes part of the household, what is the best way to feed my adult and kitten together so that the adult will not overeat?
Are you talking about the wet food or the dry food, or both?

For the wet food, mine require a lot of supervision to avoid plate swapping or food theft. Some of them always try but I just have to referee.

For the dry food I would put it in a box or tub with a kitten-sized hole in it for the little one's access.

Or, were you thinking of the kitten's 3rd meal and how your boy will be left out, wanting food? Hmm. I think I would cut his portions so they can be served at the same time as the kitten's. So he would get 1/3 of his food at each meal. That might be the easiest way...plus supervision.
Or feed the kitten in another room?

I don't know which wet food your boy eats but a lot of foods are "all life stages" foods in which case they could both eat the same (wet) food but there's still the issue of their portion sizes...i.e. meal time referee duty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elise1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey beandip, thank you for the great advice. You mentioned a few things I had not thought of.

I love your kitty "crew". I'm more than a little jealous!