Carbs

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is if a food has less carbs but still lists grains it means most of the majority of the protein comes from meat? Example

Food A has more grains in the ingredient but has less carbs
Food B has less grains in the ingredients but has higher carbs

so Food A has more meat protein even tho it lists more grains and Food B has more protein from grains because it has higher carbs? For cats it is better to feed a food with less carbs correct?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm good question here. Is it listed on the bag somewhere the amount of carbs in the food? I would check my bag but its a grain free food.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

My understanding is if a food has less carbs but still lists grains it means most of the majority of the protein comes from meat? Example

Food A has more grains in the ingredient but has less carbs
Food B has less grains in the ingredients but has higher carbs

so Food A has more meat protein even tho it lists more grains and Food B has more protein from grains because it has higher carbs? For cats it is better to feed a food with less carbs correct?
How do you know how much carbs a food has? Unless the food is one of the few that actually claims to be low-carb they don't list that information on the bag.

Also, it can be difficult to determine how much a class of ingredient contributes to the total because ingredients listed lower may individually contribute less to the total but together they may contribute more than an ingredient higher in the list. That is, chicken may be listed as the first ingredient with rice, wheat, rice hulls, and the odd vegtables listed much lower but the total contribution of the chicken to the total protein may be less than the vegtables and grains contribute.

I wish they were required to list the % carbs in all foods!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

How do you know how much carbs a food has? Unless the food is one of the few that actually claims to be low-carb they don't list that information on the bag.

Also, it can be difficult to determine how much a class of ingredient contributes to the total because ingredients listed lower may individually contribute less to the total but together they may contribute more than an ingredient higher in the list. That is, chicken may be listed as the first ingredient with rice, wheat, rice hulls, and the odd vegtables listed much lower but the total contribution of the chicken to the total protein may be less than the vegtables and grains contribute.

I wish they were required to list the % carbs in all foods!
it is not easy .. but

you add the following together ... this is imaginary

protein =37

fat= 20

fiber=4

moisture=10

ash=6.5

this is simple and I am likely forgeting something

37+20=57
57+14=71
71+6.5=77.5

100-77.5=22.5

the carbs in this formula are roughly 22.5

Yes your theroy is relatively correct but realize MEALS weigh more that FRESH meats after cooking and all label s are written with raw proportions ...

To OP

remember FATS PLAY a big role in NUMBER of carbs just like protein ..

I was shocked when I figured that food have slighty less carbs

Foods that have one meat and one grain are quite balanced yet may have slightly higher carb levels they likely have higher meat protein levels than a formula with meats spread throughout the formula

Hope this make s a little sense ... Oh and the latest reading for me is slightly changing my thinking on cats and carbs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get my carb info from this site
www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/dryfood.html?200717
I also have a formula to figure it out I got from a site but I don't have the address for that site atm. You need the as fed not the guaranteed anaylsis to be more accurate but at least I can get a good estimate from the guaranteed.

Sharky what is this you are reading that is making you think different about carbs?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

37+20=57
57+14=71
71+6.5=77.5

100-77.5=22.5
)
This method actually isn't very good. It can yield wildly inaccurate results. As kitytize points out you need the "as fed" information rather that the guarnteed analysis from the bag.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A oriental medicine book.... It explains the heating vs cooling... How foods are assimilated and what conditions what help s... Grains are a easy way to aid in this ... this author recommends 2/3 meat to 1/3 grain to 1/3 meat 2/3 grains for an older animal ( the book covers dog s and cats)... I tested it with my dog and her digestion and it worked
I did what the book said and she had far less undigested matter in her stool... Seems older animals can benifit from NON whole grains better than whole
... Some of this was totally new while some was just clarified stuff my vet has been telling me .... it evan explained the MOUSE theroy and how a mouse is not just protein and fat ...

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I get my carb info from this site
www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/dryfood.html?200717
I also have a formula to figure it out I got from a site but I don't have the address for that site atm. You need the as fed not the guaranteed anaylsis to be more accurate but at least I can get a good estimate from the guaranteed.

Sharky what is this you are reading that is making you think different about carbs?
The dry I feed is not even on their list that I can see.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This method actually isn't very good. It can yield wildly inaccurate results. As kitytize points out you need the "as fed" information rather that the guarnteed analysis from the bag.
She is right but that does get you in the ball park as That site I found six inacuracies .. If you need a VERY VERY accurate CALL THE COMPANY ...

With my formula I checked it against five real foods and it is usually with .6% ....

Fat grams are not 8.5 KCal s they are 9
at least in all my book s ...

Ping are you feeding CORE???

I think it states it on the bag yes it is likely the analysis but it will give you a idea ...

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I feed Timberwolf so I kinda doubt it would have been on that list. But I was curious none the less.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

No I feed Timberwolf so I kinda doubt it would have been on that list. But I was curious none the less.
I would say use the simple way ... your feeding a no grain so you have a bit easier or make it real easy and call the company

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She is right but that does get you in the ball park as That site I found six inacuracies .. If you need a VERY VERY accurate CALL THE COMPANY ...

With my formula I checked it against five real foods and it is usually with .6% ....
I don't know which ones you checked but using your formula Hill's Hairball Controll Light Adult is 26.4% carbs according to the site kitytize gives it is 40% carbs.

In some cases your formula may come close to the actual but in others it will be way off.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I don't know which ones you checked but using your formula Hill's Hairball Controll Light Adult is 26.4% carbs according to the site kitytize gives it is 40% carbs.

In some cases your formula may come close to the actual but in others it will be way off.
No I will double check that one... Hairball light will have a % way off due too its EXCESSIVE INSOUBLE fiber leval .. on a food with a fiber in the normal range of 3-7% the formula works
... You feed IMHO one of the worst lights around.. due to the fiber level

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

... or make it real easy and call the company
For each of 1000's of foods available?? Your dialing finger must be stronger than mine.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

For each of 1000's of foods available?? Your dialing finger must be stronger than mine.
lol.. i use the basic formula as my girl eats a high end food and if for some reason i need to double check it is one number
... my dialer is strong

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me add the link I provided with carb info all their info is as fed and not guaranteed incase you didn't catch that on their site.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Let me add the link I provided with carb info all their info is as fed and not guaranteed incase you didn't catch that on their site.
You knew I missed that
... but I note they arent taking out the fiber..I never used to but fiber on a label is insouble thus unusable to the cat

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

.. but I note they arent taking out the fiber..I never used to but fiber on a label is insouble thus unusable to the cat
And I missed that you left out the fiber.

Given that, your formula yields 35.6% carbs vs 40% in the chart for the Hill's.

But.. For Solid Gold blended tuna your formula yields 3.6% carbs vs 21% in the chart.

I should probably let this go. I wanted to correct my posting but I still think such a simple formula isn't good for general use. OK, I'll it go now..