Shop Sign Grammar

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet you wish you had a big fat marker with you to add that missing "r". I know I would have.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's the unnecessary apostrophe that always irritates me, as in Remnant's Shop (who's remnants?)

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that is awful!

We have a sign shop here in London..they sell signs for a living and on their own sign it says..

"Where London goes for sign"...

Not where London goes for SignS..Duuuuh

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AUGH! That's the kind of thing that makes my blood pressure spike up. It makes me want to walk into that shop and find the owner and say, "WHY? What's the rationale for all those quotation marks? I can understand the lost R, that just means somebody wasn't thinking. It's a sin of omission. But you had to actively ADD those quotation marks! You had to have a reason in mind, however misguided it was!" (By this time, I have the poor guy by the lapels and I'm screaming in his face.) "What were you thinking? Please! I've got to know WHYYYYY!"

Luckily, I don't go out much.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Oh that is awful!

We have a sign shop here in London..they sell signs for a living and on their own sign it says..

"Where London goes for sign"...

Not where London goes for SignS..Duuuuh
My guess is that they only sold one sign to some person named London.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

AUGH! That's the kind of thing that makes my blood pressure spike up. It makes me want to walk into that shop and find the owner and say, "WHY? What's the rationale for all those quotation marks? I can understand the lost R, that just means somebody wasn't thinking. It's a sin of omission. But you had to actively ADD those quotation marks! You had to have a reason in mind, however misguided it was!" (By this time, I have the poor guy by the lapels and I'm screaming in his face.) "What were you thinking? Please! I've got to know WHYYYYY!"

Luckily, I don't go out much.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you read Eats Shoots & Leaves? My copy has a sheet of stickers in it; the funniest is one you put on the extra apostrophes or quotation marks and it reads, "The panda says, 'NO!'"

A local, legendary burger place near here (where tourists flock) had a sign up a couple of years ago, that was obviously done on a computer. It read:

We can no longer accept 100 dollar bill's. Because of counterfiet 100 dollar bill's. Our employee's are instructed not to accept these bill's.

I mentioned to the woman behind me that someone should have run a spell check before making the sign and she said to me, "What are you, a grammar nazi?"

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My "number" is "called"? Really? What are we really talking about then

Lol, Swampwitch that sign says that they can't take a quantity of one hundred one-dollar bills. And somehow only if they belong to Bill.

Check out engrish.com; a lot of them are forgivable because obviously they don't speak English natively, but still hilarious.

I HATE when they do this thing "Ye Olde Shoppe"! All that says is 'The old shop' in archaic spelling conventions (superscript 'y' was shorthand for the 'th' sound).