Free Kitten Sign

andrea727

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone ever see signs for free kittens, and get the urge to call as having a potential interest in them just to find out if they are all fixed and vaccinated? lol

I drove by a sign yesterday and pointed at it, my husband was like "NO." So on our way back from the restaurant, I secretly took down the number, and thought about calling, and if they weren't, taking them all, getting them fixed, and finding homes for them.

LoL I feel like a fanatic since this last litter, and since I joined this forum.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are offering "free" kittens, you can be 99.9% sure they are not fixed or shots given
DH (before we married) gave away all the barn cat kittens without either being done.

The last litter (Ling's bro/sis) they were sold for a nominal fee (to help spay mom) and I followed up with the new owners to be sure they got the 2 females and 2 males fixed. In my case, the two families got the same sex (sisters went together; brothers went together).

mickey14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad, I am the same way, not only do I worry I am taking good enough care of my cats, but if others do the same.And my hubby tells me "no" quite a bit!! But he did let me keep Mickey!!( AND our other 6!!)

Also I am a firm believer in spay and neuter! All mine but the 2 youngest are "fixed"and very happy!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is one of my biggest peves. Where I live in the last 4 years this one house has had a free kitten sign up every spring and fall. If I was brave enough I would stop there and say something. I thought about putting local euthanasia statistics in their mail box but not sure if I can legally do that. Also this spring so far I have seen 2 other free kittens signs. It just infuriates me but I really wonder if these people know how serious the cat overpopulation is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrea727

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I figured as much. I sit here and worry now after seeing that sign. Ever since I found out that I can get kitten spays done for $25, I am keeping my eyes peeled. I'm not rich by any means, but if $25 will prevent a litter, I'll do it.
I'm not charging an adoption fee for my kittens, I only ask that they cover the cost of the alteration - make the check out directly to the place I am having them fixed - and provide a cat carrier.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't put the flyer IN the mailbox (only legal post office mail is supposed to be in there); however you could tape the flyer you want to leave on the outside of the mailbox

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Andrea727

I figured as much. I sit here and worry now after seeing that sign. Ever since I found out that I can get kitten spays done for $25, I am keeping my eyes peeled. I'm not rich by any means, but if $25 will prevent a litter, I'll do it.
I'm not charging an adoption fee for my kittens, I only ask that they cover the cost of the alteration - make the check out directly to the place I am having them fixed - and provide a cat carrier.
Wow $25 huh? Is that a special thing in your area or in general? I am thinking of adopting a kitten (see my post in this forum) and was worried about the cost of fixing it, but that's nothing. ANd yeah, I'm with you, I'd love to adopt every kitten to make sure they get fixed and have shots. But i'm having a hard enough time convincing my boyfriend that we can afford two. ;-) I'm glad though that there are people out there who care so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrea727

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know really... I adopted my two from a woman who owned her own "shelter" and she gave me the email to the person who does the spays/neuters with www.catswithnoname.org ... I got in touch with her directly and that's the price she quoted me. I'm keeping the email to prove it =0)