TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › scratched
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

scratched

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Its been a long time since I was scratched by a cat, other than the rare play scratches from Oliver or Tripod.

I tried to catch our stray, Geisha, this morning to bring her in for a spay and shots because our attempts last night didn't work. We didn't get that far. All I got was several scratches on my hand. One of them is pretty deep.

I put alcohol on them and then later peroxide and antibiotic ointment. I think they'll be fine. I don't need to be concerned about anything other than preventing infection, right? I mean, she hasn't had her shots, but it's not like a bite, right?

I'm more concerned about her not trusting me now. I already fell in love with her.

If you want to read more here is the thread. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...28#post1856228
post #2 of 18
You may want to put neosporin on it too. And, Vitamin E cream or cocoa butter if you're worried about a scar. As far as I know, the main worry about scratches is infection. Good luck catching her!
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
You may want to put neosporin on it too. And, Vitamin E cream or cocoa butter if you're worried about a scar. As far as I know, the main worry about scratches is infection. Good luck catching her!
Thanks! Not really worried about scars. I put the triple antibiotic ointment on that is the generic of Neosporin, so looks like I'm good to go! Now only if I can catch the pretty little kitty.
post #4 of 18
Do you have, or know anybody that may have a humane trap? You may want to call the humane society or shelter to see if you can borrow or rent one. Basically, it is a wire trap that you put food in, and when they go in the door closes and they can't get out. It doesn't hurt them, and you don't have to worry about being ripped to shreads. My MIL has them that she uses to catch her less friendly barn cats when they need to go to the vet. You may want to check into that.
post #5 of 18
Just be sure to keep it clean and you should be ok. But if she's an outdoor cat that hasn't had her shots, be sure and keep an eye on her. The quarantine period is 10 days for Rabies... and yes it can be transmitted through a scratch just as easily as a bite. I promise I'm not trying to scare you, just keep an eye on everything.
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwalker2 View Post
Just be sure to keep it clean and you should be ok. But if she's an outdoor cat that hasn't had her shots, be sure and keep an eye on her. The quarantine period is 10 days for Rabies... and yes it can be transmitted through a scratch just as easily as a bite. I promise I'm not trying to scare you, just keep an eye on everything.
Are you SURE about that?
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwalker2 View Post
Just be sure to keep it clean and you should be ok. But if she's an outdoor cat that hasn't had her shots, be sure and keep an eye on her. The quarantine period is 10 days for Rabies... and yes it can be transmitted through a scratch just as easily as a bite. I promise I'm not trying to scare you, just keep an eye on everything.
I didn't know rabies can be transmitted by a scratch. I'm guessing because of when they clean their paws? That would make sense.
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
Are you SURE about that?
http://www.pawsplace.org/Rabies.html
post #9 of 18
When I worked for animal control we had to report every bite AND scratch to the health dept. and there was a 10 day quarantine for all of them. I remember once we had a call about a guy that had been bitten by a German Shepherd. He was a 16 year old pet and he had "bitten" the friend of the owner on the shoulder. We later found out the truth.. it had been a scratch instead of a bite. I called the head of the health dept. and he told me that it didn't matter... even though Rabies is more easily transmitted through a bite, transmission through a scratch is still possible.
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwalker2
When I worked for animal control we had to report every bite AND scratch to the health dept. and there was a 10 day quarantine for all of them. I remember once we had a call about a guy that had been bitten by a German Shepherd. He was a 16 year old pet and he had "bitten" the friend of the owner on the shoulder. We later found out the truth.. it had been a scratch instead of a bite. I called the head of the health dept. and he told me that it didn't matter... even though Rabies is more easily transmitted through a bite, transmission through a scratch is still possible.
Just great. Rabies is one thing that totally freaks me out and I thought that I was safe with a scratch. I've been paranoid about rabies since I was a kid and there was an epidemic in my town in Vermont.

Years ago I called our health dept because a neighborhood cat was drooling and my husband wiped the drool with his hands. He's a landscaper and almost always has cuts on his hands, so I was concerned about rabies. They refused to trap the cat. They told me that cats were too hard to catch and I would have to do it myself.

They also would not authorize treatment for my husband without the cat.

At the time I did a lot of research about rabies. Somehow the scratch part of it got by me. I did find out that rabies symptoms vary. Animals are not always violent. I hope if she has symptoms I can recognize them.

Even if I could trap Geisha (which obviously I am already having a problem with), I have a hard time envisioning letting someone keep her in a cage for 10 days.
post #11 of 18
You should make sure your tetanus shot is up to date too! I think you're more likely to have a problem with that than rabies. I hadn't had a shot in almost 12 years but went and got one last week after I got bit and scratched pretty good by a feral kitten.
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl View Post
You should make sure your tetanus shot is up to date too! I think you're more likely to have a problem with that than rabies. I hadn't had a shot in almost 12 years but went and got one last week after I got bit and scratched pretty good by a feral kitten.
Good point - mine is out of date too. Are you concerned about rabies?
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
SO, I go to the doctor to get a tetnanus shot. THE DR'S OFFICE CALLS THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT! The Health Deparment contacted Animal Control. The "bite investigator" calls me back, and tells me that THEY HAVE TO TRAP THE CAT and then quarintine her for 10 days for observation in case she has rabies.

I explain that this cat did not scratch me for any other reason than that I was trying to put her in a carrier and she had other plans. She has no more chance of having rabies than any other stray. I begged him to let me just keep an eye on her for 10 days and if she showed any change in behavior I would call.

He refused and said that I didn't have a choice. He was nice about it and I understand that they are trying to keep the public safe, but if they trap the cat, I might not get her back. He said he would "request" that the shelter adopt her out to me since I was already trying to get her spayed and shots. He was trying to help.

The conversation was pretty lengthy with all my whining and everything. He then asked if I lived in a house or apartment. I live in an apartment, but its above a business. Because it is not residential, he deemed the area an unsafe location for him to leave a trap, so I GET TO WATCH HER!!!

If she disappears, she would be presumed dead and I will have to get rabies shots. Believe me, IF that happens, I have NO PROBLEM getting shots.

I am soooooooooo relieved!
post #14 of 18
I know the authorities have to be careful about rabies, but the normal course here if you're bitten or scratched by a feral cat whom you're pretty sure hasn't been vaccinated is for the doctor/rescue to check with the health department about recent cases of rabies in the county. If there aren't any, there's no quarantine for the cat, or shots for the person bitten or scratched.
post #15 of 18
I wouldn't be concerned about rabies. If she had rabies she would be exhibiting symptoms and apparently she isn't because you haven't reported any.

Whenever you get a minor wound of any kind such as a animal scratch, animal/human bite, knife cut, needle stick etc, squeeze it and make sure it bleeds. The worse thing you can do is to put direct pressure on it and stop the bleeding. Bleeding allows the body to get rid of potential contaminants. Once it's bled, clean it well with warm soapy water and then with lots of peroxide and then alcohol. Apply an antibiotic cream to the area and cover it with a sterile dressing. Keep the dressing dry because a wet dressing acts like a wick and draws in moisture and bacteria into the wound. So if the dressing gets wet, change it immediately.
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
The conversation was pretty lengthy with all my whining and everything. He then asked if I lived in a house or apartment. I live in an apartment, but its above a business. Because it is not residential, he deemed the area an unsafe location for him to leave a trap, so I GET TO WATCH HER!!!
So are they going to trap her and give her to you to look after for the 10 days?
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
I wouldn't be concerned about rabies. If she had rabies she would be exhibiting symptoms and apparently she isn't because you haven't reported any.
Unfortunately, thats not true. During the incubation period, there are no symptoms; however, it may be transmitted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
Whenever you get a minor wound of any kind such as a animal scratch, animal/human bite, knife cut, needle stick etc, squeeze it and make sure it bleeds. The worse thing you can do is to put direct pressure on it and stop the bleeding. Bleeding allows the body to get rid of potential contaminants. Once it's bled, clean it well with warm soapy water and then with lots of peroxide and then alcohol. Apply an antibiotic cream to the area and cover it with a sterile dressing. Keep the dressing dry because a wet dressing acts like a wick and draws in moisture and bacteria into the wound. So if the dressing gets wet, change it immediately.
Thanks. It is healing very well. I took all the usual precautions.
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
So are they going to trap her and give her to you to look after for the 10 days?
No, she gets to stay in my yard the whole time, THANK GOD! The officer deemed my yard an unsafe place to leave a trap because I live above a business, not in a residential area. If it weren't for that she would be quarentined and then I would have to adopt her from the shelter IF they let me.

She has been there every day with no signs of sickness. If she ends up missing, she will be "presumed dead" and I will have to get rabies shots. If she is still around after the 10 days, the quarentine is over.

She has another appointment to be spayed and get shots on Friday, 7/6. Pray that we can get her in the carrier! We have some help this time!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › scratched