Windows 98

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I figured I would ask here since we have such a large membership:

Does anyone have a Windows 98 disk in their possession? my internet explorer got corrupted and my dad needs to re-install Windows 98 but we are having trouble finding a disk as everyone else is on Windows 2000 or XP, but my computer doesn't have the capacity to run those
if you have one and are willing to send it to me, with prompt return of course, i would be SOOOOOOO appreciative! I miss my home internet access
Just PM for my address- thank you in advance

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have, but wont have time to look until the weekend
lol do you care if its a legal version or not

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe so, Heidi, thank you! Sometimes packrats are a good thing!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Is your computer a Dell? I may have an extra copy here at work.
no, its kinda of a, uh, hodgepodge
I know there's definitely a little HP in there somewhere
my Dad built the puter from various pieces-parts of old computers

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck finding it.I even went on line to see about buying one.But, I'm not spending that kind of $$$ for something I will use only once.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I figured I would ask here since we have such a large membership:

Does anyone have a Windows 98 disk in their possession? my internet explorer got corrupted and my dad needs to re-install Windows 98 but we are having trouble finding a disk as everyone else is on Windows 2000 or XP, but my computer doesn't have the capacity to run those
if you have one and are willing to send it to me, with prompt return of course, i would be SOOOOOOO appreciative! I miss my home internet access
Just PM for my address- thank you in advance
If it's only Internet Explorer, why not just go to Microsoft and redownload Internet Explorer? Internet Explorer is just a browser. You shouldn't have to reinstall your whole operating system.

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/details.aspx?view=info&itemid=3419184

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Good luck finding it.I even went on line to see about buying one.But, I'm not spending that kind of $$$ for something I will use only once.
I hope Bruce or Heidi can find one! although buying the program would probably be cheaper than buying a whole new puter which is my only other option

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

If it's only Internet Explorer, why not just go to Microsoft and redownload Internet Explorer? Internet Explorer is just a browser. You shouldn't have to reinstall your whole operating system.

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/details.aspx?view=info&itemid=3419184
that's the problem though, i have no access to the internet so therefore can't download anything

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You're on the internet now. Can't you burn a CD from where you are? Or go to an internet cafe or a library and do it?

Can you access email at your home?

If so PM me your email address and I can download and email you the Mozilla-Firefox browser. You can install it and then get back on the internet and then download Internet Explorer from Microsoft.
I'm at work right now... I can do that? go to the microsoft site and burn it on to a cd? I wonder why my dad didn't think of that

and no, my e-mail is on yahoo, which i can't access without internet, theonly other one I have is thru my internet provider (cable) and can't get to that one without internet either.

ETA: I called my dad and gave him that website and he's going to take a look tonight. Thanks Linda

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
katiemae1277;1856813 said:
I hope Bruce or Heidi can find one! although buying the program would probably be cheaper than buying a whole new puter which is my only other option

QUOTE]

If you know anyone that can fix computer- you can have my laptop I used for college, its just sitting in my closet... all $2000 of it that I paid 4 years ago for!

I hope you get that disc soon so you can access the 'net at home!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

If you know anyone that can fix computer- you can have my laptop I used for college, its just sitting in my closet... all $2000 of it that I paid 4 years ago for!

I hope you get that disc soon so you can access the 'net at home!
my dad might, but I don't know after I've experienced the way he built this computer

Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I don't think you can just download an operating system
They cost money don't they?
that's what I was thinking, but my dad will check it out tonight, so keep your fingers crossed!!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Question for ya:

Was it Internet Explorer or just Explorer that got corrupted? If it was IE, you can probably just download the browser separately. If it is Windows Explorer, which is the utility that you use to look for files on your hard drive, then you would need the disk.

Earl said he might still have one, and he'll check tonight when he gets home.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Question for ya:

Was it Internet Explorer or just Explorer that got corrupted? If it was IE, you can probably just download the browser separately. If it is Windows Explorer, which is the utility that you use to look for files on your hard drive, then you would need the disk.

Earl said he might still have one, and he'll check tonight when he gets home.
I *believe* it was just the IE, but don't quote me on that.... basically what happened is that I kept getting the "this page cannot be found" screen whenever I tried to access the internet, so I called the provider's help line and he "pinged" the internet which showed there was a connection but since I couldn't access it he deduced that my internet explorer had been corrupted. Whew! I'll tell my dad to just look for the browser and if he can find that

Thanks for your help Heidi!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried to repair IE via the add/remove icon in My Computer? It used to help mine whenever it would show the page cannot be found message. If you have a computer repair shop pretty close,you can go to them and they will burn you a CD for 5 bucks or so.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I *believe* it was just the IE, but don't quote me on that.... basically what happened is that I kept getting the "this page cannot be found" screen whenever I tried to access the internet, so I called the provider's help line and he "pinged" the internet which showed there was a connection but since I couldn't access it he deduced that my internet explorer had been corrupted. Whew! I'll tell my dad to just look for the browser and if he can find that

Thanks for your help Heidi!
Go to Start > Run and type command

You'll see something like (but not exactly):
c:\\windows\\system32>

After the > type ping 69.147.114.120 (that's yahoo's IP address)

If you get 4 replies then its just IE. If you don't receive anything, its your network card.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Go to Start > Run and type command

You'll see something like (but not exactly):
c:\\windows\\system32>

After the > type ping 69.147.114.120 (that's yahoo's IP address)

If you get 4 replies then its just IE. If you don't receive anything, its your network card.
katie, is there a good time to call you?
i can maybe have you do a couple of things to see what it is