Email forwards.. do you research them first?

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the third time this week I've gotten a panicked email forwarded to me that was a blatant hoax. I get these so often I'm starting to think I'm the only one that checks into these before passing them on.

So far this week I've gotten:
1. the serial killer luring women out of their homes with a baby crying
2. telemarketers getting your cell phone number and charging you for the calls (twice)

Do you research or just forward?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I usually completely ignore them.
You're better than me
I can't stop myself from researching it and sending an email back to the person who sent it to me saying "this is a hoax... knock it off!!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all these deleters, I'm wondering how I'm still getting these emails in the first place

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most forwards that come to me go directly into my spam folder and deleted. I do have my computer set up to accept forwards from family and a couple of friends, because these are usually things that they just want to share such as pictures or jokes..

Other then that most other forwards are just pains in the posterior.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I bother to read them (because the topic line interested me for some reason), I research it and then pass on a rebuttal if needed. But that has gotten me in trouble with the in-laws, who are very religious.

One time, my husband replied to one from his mother with an article from The Onion and a plea to stop sending him silly forwards. She didn't understand it was satire... it was beautiful.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I typically research them if they are from someone I know who won't be offended and who my learn from it. Otherwise, I delete!

I do the same thing on myspace, lol.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually delete them, and while I may read 'funny' forwards (and my friends generally know which ones I will enjoy and don't forward just random ones) I rarely send them on unless it makes me think 'oh 'x' will love that and then I send it to just them.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it sounds legitimate, I'll research it. Usually it is not legitimate in the end.

If it's just some cute story or something I'll pass it if I feel a particular person would enjoy it. Otherwise a lot of forwards don't even get read!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to research and reply with the link to the correct snopes page. However, that got old and some people just will not learn so I gave up. Now, I simply delete.

My biggest mistake was giving my email address to my brother's ex-wife who gave it to her mother. Now they both send loads of forwards. I just love the ones that say "If you love (God, Jesus, the Pope, et al) you will forward this." Of course, if I don't forward it them my soul will be damned for eternity
Yep, deleted! I'm not even related to these people any more, why should I get these things?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

If I bother to read them (because the topic line interested me for some reason), I research it and then pass on a rebuttal if needed. But that has gotten me in trouble with the in-laws, who are very religious.

One time, my husband replied to one from his mother with an article from The Onion and a plea to stop sending him silly forwards. She didn't understand it was satire... it was beautiful.
I'd love to have been a fly on the wall.

Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I usually delete them, and while I may read 'funny' forwards (and my friends generally know which ones I will enjoy and don't forward just random ones) I rarely send them on unless it makes me think 'oh 'x' will love that and then I send it to just them.
That's me, too. I used to forward a lot more than I do now -- I just don't have time to think about who would be interested, so it's as you say: if I immediately think of someone, they get it.

I do use snopes, though, for the ones that would have you believe they have an important message, which does usually end up being a hoax. Sending back the snopes reference has succeeded in getting one of our correspondents to stop sending this stuff altogether, and another to check first.

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I delete them.

Did you get the one about two guys selling 'perfume' in parking lots?
Apparently, when the potential customer smells the perfume, they pass out, and are then robbed, etc.

I don't know if that's true or not.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only forward jokes/stories if I think they are funny or nice. Usually they are the ones that have been around many times (like the man and his dog in heaven). To be honest, lately I've been getting some appallingly racist & incorrect stuff from family. Those get deleted. If I can tell by the title, I don't even read it.