Moggy

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know its really quite interesting, everybody knows that the term moggy relates to a domestic cat, its general knowledge. But in all my life I never actually stopped to think, what is the actual definition of the word moggy
So at this point you probably saying to yourselves, "then why think about it now?"

Well thats simple, since we've had Neko, I never referred to him as a mog/moggy until, I got back into the cat scene and on this forum. So my wife asked me what is a moggy? its really difficult when people ask you for a definition of such a word, that you just know, without knowing. (if that makes sense?)

Anyway heres a link, I found it so be somewhat amusing and interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moggy

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had never heard it until I came to this site. I think it is more of a British term that is being slowly adopted here? We just called them mixed breeds or mutts

I think the term is cute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I had never heard it until I came to this site. I think it is more of a British term that is being slowly adopted here? We just called them mixed breeds or mutts

Quite right apparently it did originate in Britain and of course because NZ was colonised by Britain, I naturally picked up that term.

Mutts however, we only use that term for dogs

Funny the different terms used, in the smae language eh

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

Haha just had to comment on the clever name Neko (japanese for cat, as you know)
Yea my wife asked me to name him and well I have no imagination, so we were calling him cat most of the time while we were still in NZ, so I said, why dont we call him Neko coz westerners won't know that its not just a name. Of course now we get weird looks when we tell people his name

If your pc has asian script enabled you will be able to see his name in kanji 猫 if you dont, then it will just appears as a square.

Same with my sig, if you only see 4 squares/boxes, it means you don't have asian scrpt enabled.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I auctually see question marks, not squares HAHA, yeah my computer doesnt support that stuff, im too lazy to set it up
not that I need it, I only speak english anyways lol.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never heard it either until I was on TCS.
It reminds me of the word Muggle in Harry Potter

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Yes it is very British but I thought Yorkshire people only used that saying

krinkles mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like to refer to my moggies as "My Town Purebreds"

Here in WA they are often refered to as DSH or DLH..

domestic Short haired or domestic long haired.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I never heard it either until I was on TCS.
It reminds me of the word Muggle in Harry Potter
In my experience it's definately a Brit thing...in the US they're more likely called "cats"
since the purebred is the exception...I was familiar with the term from reading British cat books.

More savvy cat folks might use the DSH, DLH terminology.

And when I read Harry Potter, I absolutely suspected that the "muggle" thing had something to do with the term "moggie".

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never heard it till I came here. I just called a cat a cat unless it was a specific breed. But if people ask us about the cats we have for adoption we either say Domestic Shorthair, Domestic Mediumhair or Domestic Longhair.