Spaying?

sassygirl_2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering, how old does a kitten have to be in order to have them spayed. Sassy is about 3 months old. I am not sure how much she weighs.

thanks

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8 weeks and 2 pounds if you can find a vet that will do a pediatric spay.

brittany_nicole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Talk to your vet about it because every vet is different. My vet spays at about 5-6 months and my friend's vet spays when they are a certain weight.

brittany_nicole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

8 weeks and 2 pounds if you can find a vet that will do a pediatric spay.
I don't believe in the early spay/neuter thing. The kittens are way too young at 8 weeks and still developing. It can stunt their growth and there can be other complications.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have reservations under 3 months too - Charlie was done at 3 months old - that's the earliest I've have it done. Talk to your vet about it - maybe 3-4 months old.

Kittens can become pregnant at 4-5 months old, so sooner you get it done the better.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never had a problem with it myself, 6 cats here between 2 and 13 years, all had pediatric surgeries, all developed normally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassygirl_2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input. Yeah i will definitly talking to a vet about it.

She is the only little kitty i have for now and she doesnt go outside, so i'm not really worried about her becoming pregnant.
I kinda want to know so that i can prepare financially.

Also, when do they usually start coming in heat? I kinda want to get it done before she starts that irritating meowing. lol

brittany_nicole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, when do they usually start coming in heat? I kinda want to get it done before she starts that irritating meowing. lol
A cat's first heat is normally around 5-6 months. It could be sooner or later depending on the cat.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
at 3 months, as long as she is over 3 lbs and is otherwise healthy, she is more than old enough. I have 6 cats, the biggest one was neutered at 8 weeks, and the smallest one was a stray who wasn't neutered until he was over a year, so I don't think pediatric neutering has anything to do with growth. Just start saving and make sure to have it done within the next month or so, since she can go into heat in the next 2 months.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as stunting their growth, that is just nonsense. I have a handful of kitties all neutered at 8 weeks and they are MONSTERS! They are HUGE. And I don't mean fat either! It has nothing to do with their growth. The parts are there, so why not remove them before they serve any purpose?

I also wanted to saw to let us know what city you are in, there may be a low cost clinic near you. I get my females done for $45 and males for $25. There are a number of clinics around here that are low cost so there may be some near you!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Daphne came into heat a couple of weeks ago at around 4 months. So, the sooner you can do it, the better. I had to scrape funds together to get her done quickly. Vets charge more for animals in heat.

Looks like you live up north, so shouldn't be a problem finding a vet to spay before 6 months. Good luck and let us know how it goes

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brittany_Nicole

I don't believe in the early spay/neuter thing. The kittens are way too young at 8 weeks and still developing. It can stunt their growth and there can be other complications.
I'd like to see some links to facts to support this supposition.

Originally Posted by fosterkitty

at 3 months, as long as she is over 3 lbs and is otherwise healthy, she is more than old enough. I have 6 cats, the biggest one was neutered at 8 weeks, and the smallest one was a stray who wasn't neutered until he was over a year, so I don't think pediatric neutering has anything to do with growth. Just start saving and make sure to have it done within the next month or so, since she can go into heat in the next 2 months.
Bijou was neutered at about 3 months and he is now 16+ pounds so I know his growth isn't stunted.

boxersncats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was going to get mine done at 2 pounds, but my vet wants to get them through their shots first. Actually, my vet wants to wait until they are between 4 and 6 months, but I won't wait that long. I have a male and a female, around the same age, and do NOT want an oops litter (or any other kind of litter, LOL!).

It's my opinion that over 2 pounds is big enough to be spayed or neutered, depending on their health. The only reason why I am getting them through their shots first is because I have heard shots are stressors for cats. I don't want to stress them too much.

I've had foster pups spayed/neutered at 7 weeks, they turned out to be normal-sized, well adjusted Boxers.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Early spaying does not affect the development of the females; however, it does affect it in males - to the extent that the males don't develop the wider heads like an unneutered male does.

Charlie is a quality show cat - BUT he probably will not develop the wide head like his breeding brothers - hopefully he will get a little wider in a year or so. Found that out at the show.

That's just a cosmetic thing for show cats - its more important that both sexes get spayed/neutered before they breed or get any ideas.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Next go round I will be doing 8-10 weeks as nearly 19 yrs ago I had a girl go into heat at 14 weeks ...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OHHHH my!
I've never heard of them that early! Think what would have happened to the little kitten if someone else had her instead of you?????

That probably is the equivalent of a 9 or 10 yr old having a period and getting pregnant!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassygirl_2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I also wanted to saw to let us know what city you are in, there may be a low cost clinic near you. I get my females done for $45 and males for $25. There are a number of clinics around here that are low cost so there may be some near you!
I live in Green Bay, WI. If i could find a vet that would do it for that cheap that would be great. If there is any link that anyone knows of to finding something like that, it would be helpful. But i also want to find one that will be good to her too. so.

thanks for all your help.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'd like to see some links to facts to support this supposition.

Bijou was neutered at about 3 months and he is now 16+ pounds so I know his growth isn't stunted.
yup, Captain was 17 lbs and a tad chunky, but he's now 14 lbs and still huge, and was neutered when I got him at 8 weeks.