Emergency!! Advice needed!!!

kevin63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new to this board because I didn't have a cat until a few days ago. I found a female fully grown cat - maybe six or seven years old - that was discarded in front of my house. She had recently had kittens, but they were nowhere to be found. She was limping and thin. I took her in and put her in a crate. She did fine the first night. Ate well and rested. The next day, I noticed she had something kind of sticky on her neck and I tried to wash it off with plain water. It sort of lathered and made a bigger mess, so I quit and just dried her off. It didn't have any smell and I have no idea what it was. I didn't notice it on her when I first brought her in, but she wasn't out of my sight and I don't know where it could have come from. The next day, she was putting weight on her leg and seemed to be feeling much better. Today, when I got home from work, I was mortified to find a hole on her back between her shoulder blades. A HOLE. I can see very far into her body. There's no blood and she doesn't even seem to notice it. It's exactly where the sticky stuff was that I just tried to wash off the other night. This hole is perfectly round and the size of a quarter. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before?? I can't get her in to see a vet until morning and I'm freaking out. I've never seen anything like this before and I know the hole wasn't there when I tried to wash her off. She's scratching at it, but doesn't seem to be in pain. I cut a sleeve off an old sweatshirt and made her a body suit to cover the hole up. I don't know what else I can do for her until morning. This is the most shocking thing I've ever seen. Please give me some ideas of what could have caused this. Please. Thank you so much.

Kevin

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet the hole was there and it was scabbed over or something. Could she have been shot? I don't know... PLEASE keep up updated on what the vet said and hopefully someone will come along with advice in the meantime.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like an abcess that burst and drained if I have to guess (and that's all I'm doing). Though that would probably smell bad.

If it isn't bleeding, her condition seems to have improved, and you're preventing her from scratching it, it is most important not to panic.

There is likely to be an emergency vet in your area, you could at least call them and describe it (they're very nice, I once called and asked about Zissou eating my contact lenses) and see if you need to do anything right this second or if it can wait until morning.

Thank you for taking this girl in and being so good to her!

Any ideas where the kittens may be?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Jen and Zissou'sMom have some good ideas.

The other thought is a spider bite.

It sounds like she's a very cooperative kitty, letting you wash her off and putting a body suit on her. She sounds like a good girl. I hope she'll be OK. Let us know what the vet says.

brittany_nicole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree Zissou'sMom, I think you should call up an emergency vet, just to explain the situation. They will tell you everything you should do to help her until morning. Make sure you can bring her to the vet as soon as you can tomorrow morning. Don't put it off any longer. If it is serious, waiting overnight is long enough.

Where do you live? Do you know of any poisonous spiders in your area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kevin63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As soon as you said spider, I got her out of the crate and took her blanket outside and looked it over. I did find pieces of what could have been a spider in the crate underneath her blanket. A leg and piece of a body from some kind of bug. I'm in North Carolina and I assume there are brown recluse spiders and so forth around here. There is not enough left of the bug I found to identify it, though, and I have no idea if it bit her. It may have nothing to do with it. I also found a couple small green stains on her blanket that could have been from infection draining. I guess it could have been some kind of abscess, although I didn't see any swollen areas when I washed her off before this hole appeared. I'm amazed that she has this hole in her body and is still eating and cleaning her feet as if nothing is wrong. I swear I can see as far inside this cat as I want to. She looks hollow in there and it's absolutely terrifying to me. I can't tell you how much it helps to have you guys offer me some ideas. I'm feeling much calmer now and trying to maintain my composure. The emergency vet is several hours away from me and extremely expensive. I have no choice but to wait until the vet offices open in the morning. Thank God she doesn't seem to be in any pain or I'd lose it.

Thanks again for being here. I'm petrified.

Kevin

brittany_nicole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there any way you can show us a picture of the hole? That would help a lot.

Brown Recluse spiders are very common in southern states, so my guess would be a spider bite.

Let us know what the vet says tomorrow.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's awesome that you took her in...if she doesn't seem to be in any distress, I would just watch her and get her to the vet as soon as it opens in the morning. Let us know how it goes. Have you named her yet?

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if it might not have been some kind of acid and thats why you got suds when you tried to wash her. Hope things turn out ok and yes pictures would help.

ditka's_mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow. What a bizzare story! How wonderful you are to take that little girl in, you are her hero, no matter what happens. I think it sounds exactly like a spider bite. Please Please let us know as soon as you find anything out.

Sending good wishes :]

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, Thank you for taking this kitty in!

Second, I'm not sure I can offer much advice beyond what has been given. Can you just call the emergency vet and ask for advice? They might be able to help just in that way. Please keep up updated!

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kevin63

She had recently had kittens, but they were nowhere to be found.

Kevin
I really hope the hole is going to be okay and that she will be healthy again. Thank you for taking her in and caring so much. The world needs more people like you.

My other concern is what I quoted you on. Does she show clear signs of just having a litter? Have you done a thorough search for the kits? If she had them recently, those babies sre without their mom. I don't want you to freak out beacuse you are doing a wonderful job with her, but you really need to do a full and thorough serch for the babies. Pay kids in the neighborhood to look for you. Search everywhere, under everything.

In the mean time take good care of her, she came to you in a time of need. You are hers now. You should feel blessed that she choose you. Kitties have a sixth sence when it comes to choosing their owners.
Please let us know what happens.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds like you're doing all you can right now, & she's doing ok for now... i agree with the others - keep us updated!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

It sounds like an abcess that burst and drained if I have to guess (and that's all I'm doing)....
Could be that!

Don't panic. I've seen this before twice and both times it was from a cat fight (didn't smell bad because it was fresh). Both times the vet didn't even stitch it up and it grew together and healed up. The kitties were put on antibiotics.

I also want to say thanks for taking in the kitty, since she can't say it to you.
And maybe you could do another search for the babies?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I've seen this before twice and both times it was from a cat fight
hmmmmm..... if she were a tom, i'd agree. one of the feral toms in my colony had a wound right between the shoulder blades that i feel certain was from a fight. but i've never seen one on a female...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh golly, I can imagine how stressed you must be!!! Good on you for taking her in and caring for her and getting her to the vet, I have no advice, but I hope the vet visit goes ok for you!

Please keep us updated.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

Does she show clear signs of just having a litter? Have you done a thorough search for the kits? If she had them recently, those babies sre without their mom. I don't want you to freak out beacuse you are doing a wonderful job with her, but you really need to do a full and thorough serch for the babies. Pay kids in the neighborhood to look for you. Search everywhere, under everything.
I couldnt agree more, whilst you can't do much more for the cat today, a real good Idea would be to start searching for the kittens, they now are you second #1 priority, do everything you can to find those kittens. However having said that I notice you say the cat was "discarded" could you be a little more specific? did you see someone drop the cat off and bolt or something? coz sadly if she has been just dumped there then finding the kittens maybe impossible.

I too want to thank you for taking her in and caring for her. I bet mother nature is smiling upon you now for your good deed

danger_mouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Could she have been shot? I don't know...
Nope highly unlikely, although the best person to answer that would be DIEGO, he's ex military "hope he doesnt mind me telln u that"

u said she had kittens, that brings something to mind but i havent experienced such a thing. it could quite possibly be a disease that the male was carrying in its mouth if during mating his teeth scratched her skin breaking it so that some type of parasyte was able 2 grow in there from the male.

perhaps u can try a animal shelter that has a vet, since u think its a stray they might just help u, but im not sure.

i just wanted to offer that suggestions. given the location it could be parasyte from the male

brittany_nicole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Danger_Mouse

Nope highly unlikely, although the best person to answer that would be DIEGO, he's ex military "hope he doesnt mind me telln u that"

u said she had kittens, that brings something to mind but i havent experienced such a thing. it could quite possibly be a disease that the male was carrying in its mouth if during mating his teeth scratched her skin breaking it so that some type of parasyte was able 2 grow in there from the male.

perhaps u can try a animal shelter that has a vet, since u think its a stray they might just help u, but im not sure.

i just wanted to offer that suggestions. given the location it could be parasyte from the male
That is a good thought. It is in the right area for that to happen, just he said the hole is really deep. A parasite would have to have been living off of the cat for a long time if that was the case. I still want to say it was a spider bite though. Brown Recluse bites are so similar to what he described. They eat away the flesh around the bite area. That is what happened. It sounds so right, but the perfect circle thing kind of threw me off. It is weird that it is a perfect circle. If I saw a picture I would help so much. Hopefully he posts one next time he is on.