Why do people think it's OK to make rude comments about cats?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few weeks back I was having a discussion about how people that don't like cats have such strong feelings and can be down right nasty. Well today I got a perfect example. I was really offended. I have my favorite picture of Levi on my desk top. Someone from our coprate office was talking to me about our new computer system. He said to check my desk top. When I did he said, "Oh boy is that ugly." I thought he was talking about the number of icons I have on my desk, so I didn't really respond. Then he said it again and added "That's a face only an owner could love." I was really offended, and frankly too shocked to say anything. I know if that had been a human child he would never say that, and I also believe had it been a dog he wouldn't have said that. It was really mean, and upset me. I just don't understand why someone would think it's OK to basicly tell me my cat is ugly.

And I ask, really is this not the most adorable photo ever???

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

And I ask, really is this not the most adorable photo ever???
Sometimes i think these people don't deserve to even have CHILdREN! if they can't be around animals. You're kitty is really cute, he looks like he's smuggled a budgie in his mouth

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummm... Co-workers who see my desktop picture often state that they feel Sonic is ugly, I'm not that bothered. The most important thing is that you love you cat, surely?

ferocity302

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think Turantula's are nasty but to someone who likes them, they are a wonderful thing. Unfortunately not everyone has the love of the same kinds of pets and the same passions for them.

I'd have to say to that person, yeah I do love him/her alot, he/she is just like one of my kids.

That might make them feel just a tad bit guilty for making that statement but keeping it positive too.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Levi is adorable....

I would love to kiss his handsome sweet face.

There are some self absorbed idiots in the world...
that jerk is one of them.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Levi looks like a snuggle bug! What a sweet expression. Your co-worker is ignorant.

People say stupid things to children, too. Our daughter, who is an only child, has had more than one stranger say things to her like, "Aren't you lonely?" "Don't you want a brother or sister?" when she was 3-4 years old. What the heck is a little kid supposed to say to that?

It's especially rude because we would have loved to have another child but couldn't. It was a miracle we had her.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG I can't believe anyone would say that...especially about that picture
, such a sweet one, I just wanna squeeze the cheeks and kiss em!!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Levi looks like a snuggle bug! What a sweet expression. Your co-worker is ignorant.

People say stupid things to children, too. Our daughter, who is an only child, has had more than one stranger say things to her like, "Aren't you lonely?" "Don't you want a brother or sister?" when she was 3-4 years old. What the heck is a little kid supposed to say to that?

It's especially rude because we would have loved to have another child but couldn't. It was a miracle we had her.
Nasty comments about one of our cats I could take (Radar is universally loved at work) but if a co-worker played that kind of **** I'd knock them spark out. Being rude is one thing, saying things like that to a child is completely out of order

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is absolutely adorable, handsome, lovely! Anyone that doesn't think so is an idiot! Take it with a grain of salt - I LOVE that picture!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe someone would have the nerve to even say it and be so tactless. I think I've heard it all now. Some people just really need to learn when it's time to shut up.

I would have asked him how he felt if someone told him that his face was only a face that a mother could love.
Unfortunately, in this world of ours ignorance breeds stupidity.

There is nothing ugly about your kitty. Very, very, very sweet kitty.

Originally Posted by silentNate

Ummm... Co-workers who see my desktop picture often state that they feel Sonic is ugly, I'm not that bothered. The most important thing is that you love you cat, surely?
I can't understand why they think sonic is "ugly". I see nothing wrong with him and looks very cute.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I think Levi is adorable.

I can't believe they could be so rude. Seriously even if they arn't a animal or cat person they should know better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to admit that I'm probably more sensitive about Levi than the others. He's such a sweet gentle guy that I feel this need to protect him.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do people say such mean things? Because they have tiny mean hearts. That is just something that should not be said. Makes you wonder how that guy made it to the corporate office. Definitely wasn't his people skills.

IMO, Levi is just perfectly adorable.

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG! That face! It is begging to be hugged and smooched!!

We had a thread like this on Chaz.. these are just SOME of the things I have heard, so I'm reposting.

"Wow, cats are so aloof/unloving/destructive/crazy/untrainable I don't know how you can stand them."
-Well, that would be mine know sit, down, up, give kisses, and talk with me; they have scratching posts and nothing in my house has yet been destroyed from their claws (fur is a whole 'nother matter), I get woken up in the middle of the night to give them attention, I constantly have a kitty in my lap or tripping me, and they love me enough to deal with my crap . Suuuuuure. As for craziness? Zoomies are NORMAL for cats, especially the midnight zoomies. When they race wildly around the house together, it's FUN. When your kids run around, you don't think they're crazy, do you?

"Cats are impossible to houstrain."
-Yeah, that would be why my cats took a few weeks and your kid is still wetting the bed.

"Ohhh those claws scare me, they could get my eye out!"
-Yeah, they took mine out years ago. The ones in my head are fakes. (Seriously.. adopt a declawed cat, then. More than enough of them are turned into shelters each day and euthanized.)

"Don't pet my cat she's sick/doesn't know you/doesn't like you/in a bad mood/doesn't like being petted there."
"Oh, no, cats just looooooove me!"
or
"Oh, it's alright, she doesn't mind."
-And then they are shocked when Chili rears up and scratches them in the face, and give me horrified looks proclaiming how vicious she is. I TOLD YOU NOT TO PET HER YOU IGNORANT ASSHAT. Have some alcohol on those scratches. You only get neosporin and a band-aid after I'm sure you've been traumatized enough to not pet my cats ever again.

(People like this are why I lock my cats in their room when guests come over and guests are confined to two rooms in the house at first, no matter how well I know them.)
Those are just ignorant things people have said about my kitties. There have been many more rude, even cruel comments from kids who will probably grow up to be animal abusers.

I don't understand how ANYONE can possibly think a cat is not beautiful.. even the ugliest and scruffiest have some beauty.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first instinct when I saw the picture was - look at that beautiful face. He looks as though he has been giving you those kitty kiss eyes and looking up with love. Only a non-cat lover would fail to notice that.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
some people just have no sense of what's proper behavior. i had a kitten [Cable] in my room the day she was found... i heard a kindergartner tell his/her teacher, "Ms. Montgomery's got a kitten in her room!" [very excited, of course!]. she replied, "Ooh, yuck!"
she already wasn't my favorite person, for other reasons - that comment just cemented my opinion.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

some people just have no sense of what's proper behavior. i had a kitten [Cable] in my room the day she was found... i heard a kindergartner tell his/her teacher, "Ms. Montgomery's got a kitten in her room!" [very excited, of course!]. she replied, "Ooh, yuck!"
she already wasn't my favorite person, for other reasons - that comment just cemented my opinion.
What kind of person says "yuck" about a kitten? They are just about the sweetest things on the planet!

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Levi is adorable!!

People can be mean... When I lost one of my cats a few months ago, I went to Home Deopt to look for a humane trap. My boyfriend asked one of the employees if they have any traps that would fit a cat. The employee looked at us like we were weirdos. We told her the story and she seemed shocked. She laughed and said, "uhh, I can get you a free cat if you are looking for one!"

She couldn't believe we were going through that much trouble to find one cat... Stupid b****

I believe pets enrich your lives. They teach you a lot about understanding