cat biting

callie_holly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just recently rescued an 11 month old kitten, holly, but i have been noticing as she is feeling more relaxed in the home and feeling more at home she's been picking up new behaviors. she is biting cardbord boxes and now she's biting people. she always bits and bats at my mom when she picks holly up. And sometimes she will bite me or play with my feet under the covers. i was fine with her playing with my feet at first but sometimes it wakes me up. her newest thing is when she's cuddling with me she will nugde my face and be kind then she will give me a little "love bite" on my face, but sometimes it hurts. i don't know how to get her to stop biting me and other people. she doesn't bite hard but it needs to stop.

skoshkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are two options that you can try:

First, you can yell "OUCH!" each time she bites you, and if she is in your lap, you can put her down and ignore her for awhile. Then she'll know biting has negative consequences.

Or you can use either a spray bottle (which works for me but some people don't like) or a can full of pennies to startle her when she engages in that behavior.

Hope those help!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As mentioned there are a few ways to stop this behaviour. As you might not always be in reach of a tin or water - I would go with what skoshkie has suggested, to say NO or OUCH in a firm voice and put your cat down and walk away.

You do need to repeat this over and over, so the message gets reinforced

Pulling your feet/hands etc away quickly, which I know is a normal response for us, will only tease the cat more and they think its a game. Someone once suggested to put a thicker blanket over the area where your feet are, they cant bite through thick fabrics easily.

One thing I like to ask - you say she gives you a little nibble on your face, what happens next, does she expect food or just attention ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callie_holly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no she doesn't want food. the litle nibble on the face is normally at night when she's alm and after she does it she continnues to rub her face along my jaw line. and she's always purring when she does this.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by callie_holly

i just recently rescued an 11 month old kitten, holly, but i have been noticing as she is feeling more relaxed in the home and feeling more at home she's been picking up new behaviors. she is biting cardbord boxes and now she's biting people. she always bits and bats at my mom when she picks holly up. And sometimes she will bite me or play with my feet under the covers. i was fine with her playing with my feet at first but sometimes it wakes me up. her newest thing is when she's cuddling with me she will nugde my face and be kind then she will give me a little "love bite" on my face, but sometimes it hurts. i don't know how to get her to stop biting me and other people. she doesn't bite hard but it needs to stop.
When I am combing Persi, sometimes he will give me a little bite as just a reminder to take it easy. But it is never a bite that draws blood or anything. I think it is just his way of communicating to me to slow it down, dad.

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by callie_holly

no she doesn't want food. the litle nibble on the face is normally at night when she's alm and after she does it she continnues to rub her face along my jaw line. and she's always purring when she does this.
Awwww, she loves you!