Beyond Furious!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got refused a hotel room because of my LABRADOR RETRIEVER!!

"I'm sorry ma'am, but we do not allow Labrador Retrievers at our hotel."

Ohhh.....I am seething!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whats their reason? Is it because of size/weight? Do they not let bigger dogs in the hotel like St. Bernards/Labs/Retreivers?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I assume the hotel usually allows pets? I didn't think many hotels would accept pets to start with...

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm confused too... don't most hotels not allow pets?

Explain please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a hotel that allows pets. They were all OK with me brining my dog, who I had said was around 50-60 lbs. Then they asked what breed. After I told them Lab, they said that they do not allow Labs! I assume there are other breeds they "ban" in their hotel as well!! This is one that allows dogs under either 50 lbs. or 75 lbs., I think 75 lbs.

You would be surprised just how many hotels allow pets! I've got a list of over 50 in front of me!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe they associate Labs with known barkers or something?I don't know why they wouldn't allow Labs though.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you have a list, wouldnt it be easy to find another hotel?

Btw that is really dumb of them, thats um.....rasist? lol

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. That is weird did they give any reason for why they don't allow labs? They aren't even a stereotypically violent breed... (although all the dogs that attacked me were labs! But that was the family that owned them, they would have ruined any dog on earth)

I would be mad too! I hope you can find a hotel that doesn't have arbitrary policies!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can find a hotel, it just irriates to SO much that they said no to a dog they've never met for essentially no reason! I understand they must protect their guests....but honestly? That's is unblievably dumb!! They gave no reason, I was so peeved I sorta just hung up.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, I wonder why labs. I can totally see certain breeds, and as long as they communicate this clearly to guests before they arrive, I think that's their perogative to ban some.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is that Labs are very slow to mature, and some people have trouble keeping them in line when they are 1 - 3 years old. They also chew.
AND, being such a popular breed, IMO, are over bred to the point that there are some bad actors out there. (Not that yours is, of course, Natalie!
)

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is the danger of breed banning. Once people throw out their brains and label ONE breed as vicious, they will move on and start to go for other breeds, until they have eliminated them all. *sigh*

I'm sorry your pup was discriminated against. People who that sort of thing don't realize that they are looking on the WRONG end of the leash. They should be refusing irresponsible owners, instead.

For the other hotels you call, if your dog is crate-trained.. mention it.
Obedience titles, therapy, etc you can mention as well, as they will be looked upon favorably.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not saying my girl is well behaved. It's just that I couldn't believe breed bans have gotten to hotels, too!! Now watch, this hotel will accept a Chihuahua that bites people, but wouldn't accept my friendly Lab!

ETA: I've been asking size requirements, deposits, what exactly "damage" is, cleaning staff policies(I don't want them in the room), asking if it is acceptible to bring her crate along...

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
If they asked weight first then it seems breed shouldn't be an issue

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! We love Embassy Suites. My dogs have grown up going to that hotel. They love the elevator - glass on three sides. There are always large dogs there. I have a Golden Retriever and two Old English Sheepdogs - the smallest of the three is 82 lbs.
We do take the dogs with us when go out though. And I clean up their area outside - the dogs know where they are allowed to go too.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by noludoru

I'm sorry your pup was discriminated against. People who [do] that sort of thing don't realize that they are looking on the WRONG end of the leash. They should be refusing irresponsible owners, instead.
Beautifully stated!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love the Embassy Suites in the Twin Cities, but the ones there do not allow pets, I do not think. We stayed in an Embassy Suites last year & it was great! I'm having trouble finding them on the website, though.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we go to lots of cat shows, I'm always looking for pet friendly hotels. I've found that with the hotel franchise chains, it's up to the owners if they decide to be pet friendly or not.

They seem to make up their own rules. Some have 1 or 2 cat maximums, some don't care. Some charge a deposit, some charge a non-refundable pet fee. Some allow cats but not dogs, some vice versa.

I think kids do more damage than pets, to be honest. But as was already mentioned, it boils down to parenting.......with the kids or the pets.

Seems really dumb that your Lab would be on the not accepted breed list.