Do your cats ever work out things and you don't know how?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar is a strange lad, he likes his morning cuddle with me, but he'll only do it on days when Nate has work.

Doesn't sound too odd yet, does it? But get this. Nate works a very irregular early/late shift pattern, sometimes he has 2 days off in a row, sometimes he works 7 or 8 shifts without a break, sometimes it's only 3 or 4 before another day off. He can do 3 early shifts followed by 2 lates, or alternating days, any combination you can think of! I have to look at his rota to know which days he's working.

But Radar knows. Now when Nate's on an early shift, it's easy, because he's already gone to work when I get up, and I get Radeycuddles. But when he has a day off or a late shift, Nate's morning routine is exactly the same - he'll get up mid-morning, have some cereal and look at the internet. If it's during the week when I work, I am up and gone before he gets up. On the days when he is GOING to go to work, I get my kitty cuddles from Radar (before I go to work myself in the morning during the week). On the days when Nate is staying home, Radar won't give me any attention, but there's no way he can know whether Nate is working a late shift or staying home in order for him to decide whether I get cuddles or not before Nate's even out of bed!

I'll shut up now, because I'm confusing myself so I have no idea how Radar can work it all out and know whether it's a cuddle day or not
Was just curious to hear other stories of cats knowing odd things that they really shouldn't be able to know, so if you have any weird ones, please share them!

PS: Sorry to anyone who has tried to PM me recently, I didn't realise I had no space left until I actually gave my e-mails some attention this afternoon. I am an idiot
I have now cleared some space

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always believed that cats are highly tuned psychic being who operate on a whole different level then us mere humans.

Well, that is the only answer I can come up with anyway.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can well believe it!

Unfortunatley Kitty and Maisie dont do anything so clever or I`m just not clever enough to notice

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stumpy's cleverness amazes me regularly. She has figured out how to open the cupboard doors - something the other 2 haven't figured out even after watching her. When I put treats in the "Bizzy Kitty Entertainment Centre", she knows to put her paws in the holes to fish the treats out. Smudge tries to put her whole head in the holes (which of course doesn't fit), so just pushes the box all around the house trying to get to the treats, whereas Lily knows to put her paws in , but can never manage to fish them out - Stumpy gets a treat every time she puts her paws in.

And her latest thing that amazed me - she always walks onto my bedside table, and often turns on my clock radio. She has now figured out how to turn it off as well!!!!!

So now when she presses a button and it turns on, she looks down and steps on more buttons until it stops. I thought it was funny the first time (only just last week), second time was a coincidence, but she's done it a few more times since, so I think she actually knows what to do! Amazing...

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, as i said in another post, heyu and eazy both seem to know when its time for me to go bed, as both will often go before me.

Also how heyu learned that door knobs open doors? i mean i have seen her jump up on the table. and try to turn the knob with her paws.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little calico that would come by twice a year to have her kittens, could work the stereo. She would wait for me to get up, and while I was getting her food ready, she would turn on the stereo. If it was on anything but the classic rock station, she would turn it off. She would stand in front of the tv and cry for me to turn it on before I went to work. She liked MTV. Go figure! She was a strange little creature. I am not sure she wasn't Fred's mom.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

I can well believe it!

Unfortunatley Kitty and Maisie dont do anything so clever or I`m just not clever enough to notice
They have simply hypnotized you while you sleep so you don't notice what they do