Stray cat and kittens

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have just found out there's a cat and her two kittens living next door to me, in an abandoned yard. The kittens seem to be getting old enough to go exploring, and they keep coming into our yard - last night I had to rescue one from the dogs.

My question is, how can I get them to a safer place? I have never been in this situation before and I'm not sure how to help them.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by momto3cats

I have just found out there's a cat and her two kittens living next door to me, in an abandoned yard. The kittens seem to be getting old enough to go exploring, and they keep coming into our yard - last night I had to rescue one from the dogs.

My question is, how can I get them to a safer place? I have never been in this situation before and I'm not sure how to help them.
I would definately borrow a humane trap and try to get mom and all the kittens trapped. Then you can have mom fixed and returned back and the kittens can be socialized to be placed for adoption. There are several TNR groups in Tx:

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html#tx

You also may want to join the feral cat yahoo group as there may be members on that board from your area:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feral_cats/

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A small update: I've been feeding the cats for a few days, in "their" yard, and I haven't seen them in our yard again. I have also found a rescue group that will lend us a trap and spay/neuter them for free when the kittens are old enough. The problem is, I don't drive, so I'm not sure how I can get them to the clinic. My mother doesn't want anything to do with them - she doesn't even want me to feed them, saying it will encourage them to visit us more often.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by momto3cats

A small update: I've been feeding the cats for a few days, in "their" yard, and I haven't seen them in our yard again. I have also found a rescue group that will lend us a trap and spay/neuter them for free when the kittens are old enough. The problem is, I don't drive, so I'm not sure how I can get them to the clinic. My mother doesn't want anything to do with them - she doesn't even want me to feed them, saying it will encourage them to visit us more often.
Yes...ask the rescue group if they can assist you with the trapping and transport of the mom and kittens.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, I will. Thank you for the replies.