Is the kitten stinky?

boog's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess I can't complain, as this is much better than the mean behavior that went on last week, but Boog won't stop bathing the new kitten, Skip.

He sits on Skip and will slurrrp on him forever. Skip doesn't really appreciate it and will mew/kick to get him off. He especially likes bathing his ears, (We're talking major Wet Willy time here) and his, um, bathing suit area.

So why is he doing it? (all the time) Is he trying to get rid of/mask Skip's normal smell because he's new? Is the kitten stinky to him? Should I bathe Skip? Or, is this part of the introduction/socializing that they go through?

Poor Skip is not very happy with all the brother spit on his fur.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepperpot likes to do this with Gweeky, but he doesn't mind. I think that she is trying to "mother" him.

Honestly - can't help here as to why they do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boog's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd wondered about the parenting idea too, except both of them are boys, and Boog is fixed. (Skip is still too young yet, but he will be) Boog is still a kitten in his own right (6mos) too.

Husband says that Boog licks Skips privates, because his own were removed.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Boog's Mom

I guess I can't complain, as this is much better than the mean behavior that went on last week, but Boog won't stop bathing the new kitten, Skip.

He sits on Skip and will slurrrp on him forever. Skip doesn't really appreciate it and will mew/kick to get him off. He especially likes bathing his ears, (We're talking major Wet Willy time here) and his, um, bathing suit area.

So why is he doing it? (all the time) Is he trying to get rid of/mask Skip's normal smell because he's new? Is the kitten stinky to him? Should I bathe Skip? Or, is this part of the introduction/socializing that they go through?

Poor Skip is not very happy with all the brother spit on his fur.
Slurrp is a good word and one that describes what Alley likes to do to Persi's head. I wish I had somebody to do my head for me!

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Slurrp is a good word and one that describes what Alley likes to do to Persi's head. I wish I had somebody to do my head for me!
I have a little black kitten that would be willing to come over and be your personal hair stylist. LOL My foster kitten Selena is always grooming my head! She stands on the back of my chair or couch and just holds my head and licks and licks. To the OP I have no idea why they do it. Im guessing hes just showing his love to Skip. Maybe Boog thinks its nice when other cats groom him so he thinks Skip should appreciate it.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seb has been doing this to Daphne since he decided she was okay to have around. Not the bikini area that I've noticed, but he does her ears ... a lot! In and out, loves those ears. Not sure why, though. She doesn't seem to mind and she has the world's cleanest ears

He definitely mothers her. I've heard that male cats are very good at being great brothers or mothers, even