Summer Interns... do they have a clue?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every year since I've gotten out of college this mysterious thing happens. It's called the Summer Intern. Mostly they just wonder around in packs and giggle, but this year we have a whole new breed. The Intern that doesn't know how to dress. It's fabulous.

Just to give you some background, the company I work for is jeans and t-shirts. The three dress code rules we have are as follows: no skinny string tank tops, no offensive language on a t-shirt, and no "shower shoes" flip flops. Somehow this intern has managed to break all three. It's become a contest in my work group. "What is she going to wear today?"

This has been the best motivation to go into work in a long time.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I love it. Isn't it truely surprising how school educates on everything EXCEPT proper work attire?

Part of being an intern though is that they're suppose to learn the ways of business. Perhaps your young intern needs to be sat down and told that even if in her world those are considered "casual" they're not.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey anything to motivate you to go to work, right?

I never saw the point of summer interns. If they even bothered to do work they always saw fit to screw it up enough that it just became more work for the regular employees.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Had to explain spaghetti-string tank tops to hubby. He then wondered if she was cute

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a summer intern sitting across from he, he dresses just fine, but right now he is snoring so loud, I swear he wakes himself up
!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jamasmom

I have a summer intern sitting across from he, he dresses just fine, but right now he is snoring so loud, I swear he wakes himself up
!
I've had that kind too!

The intern that doesn't know how to dress has been told several times not to wear these items to work, so most of the huge violations have stopped. We now have to put up with skin tight jeans that leave nothing to the imagination and t-shirts that are a little too shear.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try full year interns, I run the programme for eight of them

Our 'fun' moments of the year

1. How to upset as many public officials as possible
2. How not to dress (t-shirts with 'Fridays are for casual
' are not a good idea)
3. How not to speak to your boss but yet get away with it
4. How to cry to get your own way
5. How to waste money and then complain that there are no funds to do what you want

I could go on but will stop there

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness there are more of them out there then the two I have. That is a scary thought.

My big issue has been cell phones. Our policies about cell phones is simple.
Check you message during break other then that they are to be turned off and put away.
I don't know how many times in the last two weeks I have said, put your phone away.

geeeessssssss.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine will answer their cells and leave the room in the middle of the weekly meeting and then look at you and roll their eyes when you ask them to say goodbye to whoever they are talking to!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Mine will answer their cells and leave the room in the middle of the weekly meeting and then look at you and roll their eyes when you ask them to say goodbye to whoever they are talking to!
What is bad is when your boss answers her phone while she is running a dept meeting (and the phone doesn't ring just once).

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
our interns are the Site manager's son and daughter and the controller's daughter. So basically they get to set their own schedule while still getting the pay. One of these interns wants to go to law school and recently finished her undergrad. However she's spent the last 4-5 years here during the summer time and no job during the school year. Needless to say she's not in a law school yet.

Last summer the graphics intern chewed...no not gum...tobacco. The spit cup was disgusting.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy I work for a small company, and we don't have interns! The only people in our office is the 3 bosses (it's a partnership company) and me!

I get easily irritated with people when you have to keep 'reminding' them of the rules... so I probably wouldn't do good working with an internet.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have interns but some of my coworkers need to be told that a white gauze skirt, black thong underwear and NO SLIP are not appropriate office attire.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

We don't have interns but some of my coworkers need to be told that a white gauze skirt, black thong underwear and NO SLIP are not appropriate office attire.
Ewwwww!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

That is not right. I mean really, do people even look in the mirror before leaving for work?

No interns here. I also work at a pretty small business.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have interns here - we should for the summer to help out claims prep, but it ain't gonna happen.

Why even hire summer interns, you know they really aren't going to get any work done. It is a waste of money. Just use the money to pay for overtime for staff who want it.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours get paid, but the summer ones do not, it is all a 'learning experience' so they basically see it as cheap labour and so the interns don't care as they are not getting paid.

Ours care a little more as they get the 'perks' taken away (they travel a lot etc) if they mess up badly